Обсуждение: pgsql: git_topo_order script, to match up commits across branches.

pgsql: git_topo_order script, to match up commits across branches.

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
git_topo_order script, to match up commits across branches.

This script is intended to substitute for cvs2cl in generating release
notes and scrutinizing what got back-patched to which branches.

Script by me.  Support for --since by Alex Hunsaker.

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=1b984d43e54a969da26277d913a41ffd5ccfc1e8

Modified Files
--------------
src/tools/git_topo_order |  155 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Re: pgsql: git_topo_order script, to match up commits across branches.

Дата:
Robert Haas <rhaas@postgresql.org> writes:
> git_topo_order script, to match up commits across branches.
> This script is intended to substitute for cvs2cl in generating release
> notes and scrutinizing what got back-patched to which branches.

BTW ... I don't especially care for the name you picked for this script.
The fact that it does a topological sort is an implementation detail
that its users couldn't care less about, especially since that doesn't
matter except for corner cases.  How about "collate_git_log" or
something along that line?

            regards, tom lane

Re: pgsql: git_topo_order script, to match up commits across branches.

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Sep 24, 2010, at 3:32 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Robert Haas <rhaas@postgresql.org> writes:
>> git_topo_order script, to match up commits across branches.
>> This script is intended to substitute for cvs2cl in generating release
>> notes and scrutinizing what got back-patched to which branches.
>
> BTW ... I don't especially care for the name you picked for this script.
> The fact that it does a topological sort is an implementation detail
> that its users couldn't care less about, especially since that doesn't
> matter except for corner cases.  How about "collate_git_log" or
> something along it.

I don't think that's any better - collate could mean anything - but I don't think it's any worse, either.  Change it if
youwant.

...Robert

Re: pgsql: git_topo_order script, to match up commits across branches.

Дата:
> On Sep 24, 2010, at 3:32 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> BTW ... I don't especially care for the name you picked for this script.
>> The fact that it does a topological sort is an implementation detail
>> that its users couldn't care less about, especially since that doesn't
>> matter except for corner cases.  How about "collate_git_log" or
>> something along it.

> I don't think that's any better - collate could mean anything - but I don't think it's any worse, either.  Change it
ifyou want.

Well, I definitely think that the name should suggest a connection to
"git log".  I agree that "collate" might not be the best possible verb
here --- anyone have a better suggestion?

            regards, tom lane

Re: pgsql: git_topo_order script, to match up commits across branches.

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of vie sep 24 17:36:59 -0400 2010:
> > On Sep 24, 2010, at 3:32 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> >> BTW ... I don't especially care for the name you picked for this script.
> >> The fact that it does a topological sort is an implementation detail
> >> that its users couldn't care less about, especially since that doesn't
> >> matter except for corner cases.  How about "collate_git_log" or
> >> something along it.
>
> > I don't think that's any better - collate could mean anything - but I don't think it's any worse, either.  Change
itif you want.

> Well, I definitely think that the name should suggest a connection to
> "git log".  I agree that "collate" might not be the best possible verb
> here --- anyone have a better suggestion?

How about something content-free like "pg_git_log"?

Re: pgsql: git_topo_order script, to match up commits across branches.

От
Gurjeet Singh
Дата:
On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 6:09 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of vie sep 24 17:36:59 -0400 2010:
> > On Sep 24, 2010, at 3:32 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> >> BTW ... I don't especially care for the name you picked for this script.
> >> The fact that it does a topological sort is an implementation detail
> >> that its users couldn't care less about, especially since that doesn't
> >> matter except for corner cases.  How about "collate_git_log" or
> >> something along it.
>
> > I don't think that's any better - collate could mean anything - but I don't think it's any worse, either.  Change it if you want.
>
> Well, I definitely think that the name should suggest a connection to
> "git log".  I agree that "collate" might not be the best possible verb
> here --- anyone have a better suggestion?

How about something content-free like "pg_git_log"?

If it resembles cvs2cl then why not name it git2cl? Or git_changelog.

Since it doesn't do anything specific to Postgres' git, lets not have any pg in there.

gurjeet.singh
@ EnterpriseDB - The Enterprise Postgres Company
http://www.EnterpriseDB.com

singh.gurjeet@{ gmail | yahoo }.com
Twitter/Skype: singh_gurjeet

Mail sent from my BlackLaptop device

Re: [HACKERS] Re: pgsql: git_topo_order script, to match up commits across branches.

От
Andrew Dunstan

On 09/24/2010 06:53 PM, Gurjeet Singh wrote:
> If it resembles cvs2cl then why not name it git2cl? Or git_changelog.

+1 for git_changelog

cheers

andrew

Re: pgsql: git_topo_order script, to match up commits across branches.

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 6:53 PM, Gurjeet Singh <singh.gurjeet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Since it doesn't do anything specific to Postgres' git, lets not have any pg
> in there.

Assuming you discount the hard-coded list of our active branch heads, of course.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: pgsql: git_topo_order script, to match up commits across branches.

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from Robert Haas's message of vie sep 24 22:20:54 -0400 2010:
> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 6:53 PM, Gurjeet Singh <singh.gurjeet@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Since it doesn't do anything specific to Postgres' git, lets not have any pg
> > in there.
>
> Assuming you discount the hard-coded list of our active branch heads, of course.

Also, I thought it resembled pgcvslog more than cvs2cl.
+1 to git_changelog anyway.

Re: pgsql: git_topo_order script, to match up commits across branches.

Дата:
> +1 to git_changelog anyway.

That seems to be the consensus position, so done.

            regards, tom lane