Обсуждение: pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/Tag: oc/src/sgml/REL ...

pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/Tag: oc/src/sgml/REL ...

От
momjian@postgresql.org (Bruce Momjian - CVS)
CVSROOT:    /cvsroot
Module name:    pgsql-server
Changes by:    momjian@postgresql.org    03/01/11 00:04:27

Modified files:
    doc/src/sgml   : Tag: REL7_3_STABLE runtime.sgml
    src/backend/utils/misc: Tag: REL7_3_STABLE
                            postgresql.conf.sample

Log message:
    > > This patch improves the documentation for the shared_buffers GUC param.
    >
    > I'd suggest that the runtime.sgml description explicitly say "values of
    > at least a few thousand are recommended for production installations".

    Neil Conway

Re: pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/Tag: oc/src/sgml/REL ...

От
Neil Conway
On Sat, 2003-01-11 at 00:04, Bruce Momjian - CVS wrote:
> CVSROOT:    /cvsroot
> Module name:    pgsql-server
> Changes by:    momjian@postgresql.org    03/01/11 00:04:27
>
> Modified files:
>     doc/src/sgml   : Tag: REL7_3_STABLE runtime.sgml
>     src/backend/utils/misc: Tag: REL7_3_STABLE
>                             postgresql.conf.sample

Is there a need to backpatch these kinds of trivial fixes into 7.3?
IMHO, we should reserve 7_3_STABLE changes for serious bugfixes.

Cheers,

Neil

Re: pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/Tag: oc/src/sgml/REL ...

> On Sat, 2003-01-11 at 00:04, Bruce Momjian - CVS wrote:
> > CVSROOT:    /cvsroot
> > Module name:    pgsql-server
> > Changes by:    momjian@postgresql.org    03/01/11 00:04:27
> >
> > Modified files:
> >     doc/src/sgml   : Tag: REL7_3_STABLE runtime.sgml
> >     src/backend/utils/misc: Tag: REL7_3_STABLE
> >                             postgresql.conf.sample
>
> Is there a need to backpatch these kinds of trivial fixes into 7.3?
> IMHO, we should reserve 7_3_STABLE changes for serious bugfixes.

I am backpatching doc-only fixes to 7.3.X.  I used to _not_ do that, but
people seem to want it.

I think the logic was that doc-only cleanups are low risk,

Re: pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/Tag: oc/src/sgml/REL ...

От
Neil Conway
Дата:
On Sat, 2003-01-11 at 13:34, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I am backpatching doc-only fixes to 7.3.X.  I used to _not_ do that, but
> people seem to want it.

Hmm... I'm not sure if it's worth bothering about, and it makes the
lives of people tracking 7_3_STABLE more difficult, but if you think
it's worth doing, that's good enough for me.

Cheers,

Neil

Re: pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/Tag: oc/src/sgml/REL ...

Дата:
Neil Conway wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-01-11 at 13:34, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I am backpatching doc-only fixes to 7.3.X.  I used to _not_ do that, but
> > people seem to want it.
>
> Hmm... I'm not sure if it's worth bothering about, and it makes the
> lives of people tracking 7_3_STABLE more difficult, but if you think
> it's worth doing, that's good enough for me.

I am not sure what I think.  The specific case was that there was a fix
where we said .pgaccess rather than .pgpass in the docs.  The fix went
into HEAD but not 7.3.X, and someone complained about the bug.  Peter
stated that we _do_ build the 7.3.X docs regularly, rather than just at
major release time, which was the old system, so I started backpatching
doc _fixes_.

Re: pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/Tag: oc/src/sgml/REL ...

Дата:
> Neil Conway wrote:
>> Hmm... I'm not sure if it's worth bothering about, and it makes the
>> lives of people tracking 7_3_STABLE more difficult, but if you think
>> it's worth doing, that's good enough for me.

> I am not sure what I think.  The specific case was that there was a fix
> where we said .pgaccess rather than .pgpass in the docs.  The fix went
> into HEAD but not 7.3.X, and someone complained about the bug.  Peter
> stated that we _do_ build the 7.3.X docs regularly, rather than just at
> major release time, which was the old system, so I started backpatching
> doc _fixes_.

The .pgpass thing was a clear bug in the docs --- not an improvement
or clarification, but a flat-out error.  As such it needed to be
back-patched.  I'm less than excited about back-patching small
improvements.

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Neil Conway wrote:
> >> Hmm... I'm not sure if it's worth bothering about, and it makes the
> >> lives of people tracking 7_3_STABLE more difficult, but if you think
> >> it's worth doing, that's good enough for me.
>
> > I am not sure what I think.  The specific case was that there was a fix
> > where we said .pgaccess rather than .pgpass in the docs.  The fix went
> > into HEAD but not 7.3.X, and someone complained about the bug.  Peter
> > stated that we _do_ build the 7.3.X docs regularly, rather than just at
> > major release time, which was the old system, so I started backpatching
> > doc _fixes_.
>
> The .pgpass thing was a clear bug in the docs --- not an improvement
> or clarification, but a flat-out error.  As such it needed to be
> back-patched.  I'm less than excited about back-patching small
> improvements.

OK, I will use that plan.  The patch he asked about fixed an error
message reported by configure.

Re: pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/Tag: oc/src/sgml/REL ...

От
Neil Conway
Дата:
On Sat, 2003-01-11 at 23:23, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> OK, I will use that plan.  The patch he asked about fixed an error
> message reported by configure.

Just to be accurate, the patch I was actually asking about was one which
made some minor improvements to the shared_buffers documentation.

Cheers,

Neil