Обсуждение: BUG #12129: questions on exporting data from a database

BUG #12129: questions on exporting data from a database

От
rseshadr@uncc.edu
Дата:

Bug reference:      12129
Logged by:          Rohit Seshadri
Email address:      rseshadr@uncc.edu
PostgreSQL version: Unsupported/Unknown
Operating system:   Windows 7

I am trying to extract the data from a database and this is the error that I
get. It says that i have to enter a password but I don't know where to enter
the password. It would be very helpful if you could walk me through the
correct process to export the data from a database.

C:\Program Files (x86)\pgAdmin III\1.18\pg_dump.exe --host 172.29.131.1
--port 5432 --username "waverly" --no-password  --format tar --verbose
--file "C:\Users\Niner\Documents\RTAC 3505 BACKUP.backup" "3530"

Re: BUG #12129: questions on exporting data from a database

От
hubert depesz lubaczewski
Дата:
If you'll remove --no-password option, then pg_dump should ask you for the
password.

depesz

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 12:31 AM, <rseshadr@uncc.edu> wrote:

> Bug reference:      12129
> Logged by:          Rohit Seshadri
> Email address:      rseshadr@uncc.edu
> PostgreSQL version: Unsupported/Unknown
> Operating system:   Windows 7

> I am trying to extract the data from a database and this is the error that
> get. It says that i have to enter a password but I don't know where to
> enter
> the password. It would be very helpful if you could walk me through the
> correct process to export the data from a database.
>
> C:\Program Files (x86)\pgAdmin III\1.18\pg_dump.exe --host 172.29.131.1
> --port 5432 --username "waverly" --no-password  --format tar --verbose
> --file "C:\Users\Niner\Documents\RTAC 3505 BACKUP.backup" "3530"

Re: BUG #12129: questions on exporting data from a database

От
Matheus de Oliveira
Дата:
On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 9:31 PM, <rseshadr@uncc.edu> wrote:

> C:\Program Files (x86)\pgAdmin III\1.18\pg_dump.exe --host 172.29.131.1
> --port 5432 --username "waverly" --no-password  --format tar --verbose
> --file "C:\Users\Niner\Documents\RTAC 3505 BACKUP.backup" "3530"

That is not a bug at all. It should be reported in -admin list.

You are given "--no-password" option but your pg_hba.conf is probably not
accepting non-password methods. Just remove this argument and pg_dump will
prompt you for the password in the terminal.

Regards,
--=20
Matheus de Oliveira
Analista de Banco de Dados
Dextra Sistemas - MPS.Br n=C3=ADvel F!
www.dextra.com.br/postgres

Re: BUG #12129: questions on exporting data from a database

От
David G Johnston
Дата:
Matheus de Oliveira wrote
> On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 9:31 PM, <

> rseshadr@

> > wrote:
>
>> C:\Program Files (x86)\pgAdmin III\1.18\pg_dump.exe --host 172.29.131.1
>> --port 5432 --username "waverly" --no-password  --format tar --verbose
>> --file "C:\Users\Niner\Documents\RTAC 3505 BACKUP.backup" "3530"
>>

> That is not a bug at all. It should be reported in -admin list.
>
> You are given "--no-password" option but your pg_hba.conf is probably not
> accepting non-password methods. Just remove this argument and pg_dump will
> prompt you for the password in the terminal.

Or you can use environment variables or .pgpass or change hba.conf to an
authentication mechanism that doesn't require a password.  But what you
cannot do is specify no-password and expect it to work if a password is
required but not otherwise supplied.  All that option is documented to do is
cause the dump to fast-fail instead prompting a non-existent user for a
password.

Reading the pg_dump documentation would lead you to consider both the above
options and this page on considered environment variables.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/interactive/libpq-envars.html

The hba.conf option is the least preferred, least secure, least standard,
and most tricky to implement correctly.

Also, I'm wondering why your pg_dump path is inside of pgAdmin...

David J.