Re: BUG #12129: questions on exporting data from a database

От David G Johnston
Тема Re: BUG #12129: questions on exporting data from a database
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Matheus de Oliveira wrote
> On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 9:31 PM, <

> rseshadr@

> > wrote:
>
>> C:\Program Files (x86)\pgAdmin III\1.18\pg_dump.exe --host 172.29.131.1
>> --port 5432 --username "waverly" --no-password  --format tar --verbose
>> --file "C:\Users\Niner\Documents\RTAC 3505 BACKUP.backup" "3530"
>>

> That is not a bug at all. It should be reported in -admin list.
>
> You are given "--no-password" option but your pg_hba.conf is probably not
> accepting non-password methods. Just remove this argument and pg_dump will
> prompt you for the password in the terminal.

Or you can use environment variables or .pgpass or change hba.conf to an
authentication mechanism that doesn't require a password.  But what you
cannot do is specify no-password and expect it to work if a password is
required but not otherwise supplied.  All that option is documented to do is
cause the dump to fast-fail instead prompting a non-existent user for a
password.

Reading the pg_dump documentation would lead you to consider both the above
options and this page on considered environment variables.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/interactive/libpq-envars.html

The hba.conf option is the least preferred, least secure, least standard,
and most tricky to implement correctly.

Also, I'm wondering why your pg_dump path is inside of pgAdmin...

David J.