Обсуждение: BUG #7524: Partitioning

BUG #7524: Partitioning

От
pieter@infomet.com
Дата:

Bug reference:      7524
Logged by:          Pieter Viljoen
Email address:      pieter@infomet.com
PostgreSQL version: 9.1.5
Operating system:   WIndows Enterprise Server

The TWO most important factors in hindering us to convert to Postgres are
the following:

Parallel execution of queries.

No Table Partitioning
(To actually propose that table inheritance is used for partitioning is
abhorently proposterous. This basterdizes the intent of inheritance and
means you are destroying the very principles of the underlying
generalisation model you propose. It is also an indication that you do not
have the capability to actually engineer the proper solution. It is a hoax
right?)

Re: BUG #7524: Partitioning

От
"Kevin Grittner"
wrote:

> The TWO most important factors in hindering us to convert to
> Postgres are the following:
>
> Parallel execution of queries.
>
> No Table Partitioning

Not a bug, so off-topic for this list.  If you need help figuring
out how best to use PostgreSQL, or whether it is a good fit for
your use-case, a post to pgsql-novice@postgresql.org would be more
appropriate.

-Kevin

Re: BUG #7524: Partitioning

От
Mark Kirkwood
Дата:
On 09/09/12 14:01, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> wrote:
>
>> The TWO most important factors in hindering us to convert to
>> Postgres are the following:
>>
>> Parallel execution of queries.
>>
>> No Table Partitioning
>
> Not a bug, so off-topic for this list.  If you need help figuring
> out how best to use PostgreSQL, or whether it is a good fit for
> your use-case, a post to pgsql-novice@postgresql.org would be more
> appropriate.

Or even -hackers - but it would make sense to ask 2 questions along the
lines of:

1/ What is the current state of table partitioning...is anyone working
on something a bit more native than abusing inheritance?

2/ Is anyone working on parallel query execution?

Regards

Mark

Re: BUG #7524: Partitioning

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 09/09/12 6:04 PM, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> 1/ What is the current state of table partitioning...is anyone working
> on something a bit more native than abusing inheritance?

enterpriseDB's commercial 'oracle compatible' fork has the Oracle DDL
for creating and managing partitions, but afaik, it uses the same
internal inheritance mechanisms.

> 2/ Is anyone working on parallel query execution?

someone presented a FOSS project on the pg-general list the other day
that implements parallel execution using a postgres based engine, but it
only supports fairly simple queries.  I can't say I remember what it was
called.

Re: BUG #7524: Partitioning

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 09/09/12 9:31 PM, John R Pierce wrote:

>> 2/ Is anyone working on parallel query execution?
>
> someone presented a FOSS project on the pg-general list the other day
> that implements parallel execution using a postgres based engine, but
> it only supports fairly simple queries.  I can't say I remember what
> it was called.

ah, was this https://launchpad.net/stado

Re: BUG #7524: Partitioning

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
[Adding the OP back to CC, in case he's not subscribed to the list]

Mark Kirkwood  wrote:
> On 09/09/12 14:01, Kevin Grittner wrote:
>> "Pieter Viljoen Sr."  wrote:
>>
>>> The TWO most important factors in hindering us to convert to
>>> Postgres are the following:
>>>
>>> Parallel execution of queries.
>>>
>>> No Table Partitioning
>>
>> Not a bug, so off-topic for this list. If you need help figuring
>> out how best to use PostgreSQL, or whether it is a good fit for
>> your use-case, a post to pgsql-novice@postgresql.org would be more
>> appropriate.
>>

> Or even -hackers - but it would make sense to ask 2 questions along
> the lines of:
>
> 1/ What is the current state of table partitioning...is anyone
> working on something a bit more native than abusing inheritance?
>
> 2/ Is anyone working on parallel query execution?

Yeah, I should have mentioned keeping each thread to a single topic.
But I would still think -novice or -general would be more appropriate
unless he was looking to write or sponsor packages for the features;
so it depends.

-Kevin