Обсуждение: Re: BUG #5862: Postgres dumps core upon a connection attempt

Re: BUG #5862: Postgres dumps core upon a connection attempt

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
"Matt Zinicola"  wrote:

> PostgreSQL version: 9.0.3
> Operating system: Linux (Fedora 14, kernel 2.6.35-10-74), 64-bit
> Details:
>
> A simple compile from source and install (as per usual) on Fedora
> 14 yielded crashes of client applications attempting to connect.
>
> I first observed this with archiveopeteryx. As a sanity check, I
> then attempted a connection with psql itself, which also crashed.
>
> Please let me know if further information is needed.

Build options?  Error messages?  Contents of log files?  Backtrace
from the core file you mentioned?

-Kevin

Re: BUG #5862: Postgres dumps core upon a connection attempt

От
Matt Zinicola
Дата:
Apologies for lack of detail.  Although I've been using Postgres for
years, this is the first time I've had such an issue.

Build options were only --with-perl and --with-python

Below is the output when two different applications attempt to connect
to my 9.0.3 server (note, the second is psql itself):

[root@infinity postgres]# /etc/init.d/archiveopteryx start
Starting Archiveopteryx: aox: Couldn't connect to PostgreSQL. (on
backend 1)
/etc/init.d/archiveopteryx: line 24:  4240 Segmentation
fault      /usr/local/archiveopteryx/bin/aox start
done.

[postgres@infinity scripts]$ psql template1
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Kevin suggested doing a 'make check'.  I did so, and it ended with the
following:

mkdir ./testtablespace
./pg_regress --inputdir=. --dlpath=. --multibyte=SQL_ASCII
--temp-install=./tmp_check --top-builddir=../../..
--schedule=./parallel_schedule
make[2]: *** [check] Segmentation fault (core dumped)
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/usr/local/src/postgresql-9.0.3/src/test/regress'
make[1]: *** [check] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/postgresql-9.0.3/src/test'
make: *** [check] Error 2

Also, my server doesn't seem to be logging anything, either (although
I'm using the same configuration and start script as 9.0.2)

Lastly, I don't see any 'core' files in the places I would expect.
If/when I find them, I can send along.

- Matt

On Wed, 2011-02-02 at 15:56 -0600, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> "Matt Zinicola"  wrote:
>
> > PostgreSQL version: 9.0.3
> > Operating system: Linux (Fedora 14, kernel 2.6.35-10-74), 64-bit
> > Details:
> >
> > A simple compile from source and install (as per usual) on Fedora
> > 14 yielded crashes of client applications attempting to connect.
> >
> > I first observed this with archiveopeteryx. As a sanity check, I
> > then attempted a connection with psql itself, which also crashed.
> >
> > Please let me know if further information is needed.
>
> Build options?  Error messages?  Contents of log files?  Backtrace
> from the core file you mentioned?
>
> -Kevin

Re: BUG #5862: Postgres dumps core upon a connection attempt

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
On 03/02/11 09:53, Matt Zinicola wrote:
> Apologies for lack of detail.  Although I've been using Postgres for
> years, this is the first time I've had such an issue.
>
> Build options were only --with-perl and --with-python
>
> Below is the output when two different applications attempt to connect
> to my 9.0.3 server (note, the second is psql itself):
>
> [root@infinity postgres]# /etc/init.d/archiveopteryx start
> Starting Archiveopteryx: aox: Couldn't connect to PostgreSQL. (on
> backend 1)
> /etc/init.d/archiveopteryx: line 24:  4240 Segmentation
> fault      /usr/local/archiveopteryx/bin/aox start
> done.
>
> [postgres@infinity scripts]$ psql template1
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)

OK, so it's not the PostgreSQL backend that's crashing, it's psql.

You almost certainly have conflicting libraries lurking around
somewhere, so psql was built against one libpq but lands up getting
linked to another at runtime.

--
System & Network Administrator
POST Newspapers

Re: BUG #5862: Postgres dumps core upon a connection attempt

От
Matt Zinicola
Дата:
Hrm.

I did see the Fedora stashed copies of libpq.so.5 and libpq.so.5.2 in
/usr/lib64.  I looked everywhere on the system for libpq.so*, and saw that the
only remaining copies where those in my source directory... so I re-built
9.0.3.  A 'make check' still died in the same place within the regression
tests.  I did a 'make install' anyhow.  I cleaned out my data directory and
attempted a new initdb with 9.0.3.  That seg faulted as well:

[postgres@infinity local]$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /data/postgres
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Any other suggestions?
- Matt

Quoting Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au>:

> On 03/02/11 09:53, Matt Zinicola wrote:
> > Apologies for lack of detail.  Although I've been using Postgres for
> > years, this is the first time I've had such an issue.
> >
> > Build options were only --with-perl and --with-python
> >
> > Below is the output when two different applications attempt to connect
> > to my 9.0.3 server (note, the second is psql itself):
> >
> > [root@infinity postgres]# /etc/init.d/archiveopteryx start
> > Starting Archiveopteryx: aox: Couldn't connect to PostgreSQL. (on
> > backend 1)
> > /etc/init.d/archiveopteryx: line 24:  4240 Segmentation
> > fault      /usr/local/archiveopteryx/bin/aox start
> > done.
> >
> > [postgres@infinity scripts]$ psql template1
> > Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> OK, so it's not the PostgreSQL backend that's crashing, it's psql.
>
> You almost certainly have conflicting libraries lurking around
> somewhere, so psql was built against one libpq but lands up getting
> linked to another at runtime.
>
> --
> System & Network Administrator
> POST Newspapers

Re: BUG #5862: Postgres dumps core upon a connection attempt

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
On 03/02/11 10:33, Matt Zinicola wrote:

> Hrm.
>
> I did see the Fedora stashed copies of libpq.so.5 and libpq.so.5.2 in
> /usr/lib64.  I looked everywhere on the system for libpq.so*, and saw that the
> only remaining copies where those in my source directory... so I re-built
> 9.0.3.  A 'make check' still died in the same place within the regression
> tests.  I did a 'make install' anyhow.  I cleaned out my data directory and
> attempted a new initdb with 9.0.3.  That seg faulted as well:
>
> [postgres@infinity local]$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /data/postgres
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)

What does:

  ldd /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb

say?

--
System & Network Administrator
POST Newspapers

Re: BUG #5862: Postgres dumps core upon a connection attempt

От
Craig Ringer
Дата: