Обсуждение: Delayed Write Failed

Delayed Write Failed

От
mcronix
Дата:
Hi
First time poster and complete postgres noob. I basically only ever use it
along side an online poker database program, Holdem manager - I've been
running postgres 8.2 with HEM for ages now, with no problems, when earlier
today I had a window popup from the task bar saying Delayed Write Failed,
and then gave a file path in the postgres data\base\ folder. I was using the
poker program at the time and this kept happening 5-6 times before I stopped
to investigate.

I've tried stop/starting the service but when I rebooted and tried to open
holdem manager a postgres connection could not be made. a repeat attempt to
start it gave the error box saying;
Connection error: FATAL: 57P03: the database system is starting up.

I basically have no idea what the problem is or what caused it and am in
dire need of some help! Has anyone got an idea what could be wrong?

Oh also, I cant defrag drive C: since this happened but I can defrag my
other hard drive I use for storage if this could possibly be related?
Thanks in advance.

Re: Delayed Write Failed

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 4:45 PM, mcronix <mcronix@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
> First time poster and complete postgres noob. I basically only ever use it
> along side an online poker database program, Holdem manager - I've been
> running postgres 8.2 with HEM for ages now, with no problems, when earlier
> today I had a window popup from the task bar saying Delayed Write Failed,

It's been a long time since I saw that (it's been a long time since I
herded windows boxes), but I seem to recall it's Windows way of saying
your disk is about to die. Get a backup of as much as you can, and
then run a full disk check.

--
Dave Page

Re: Delayed Write Failed

От
John R Pierce
mcronix wrote:
> Hi
> First time poster and complete postgres noob. I basically only ever use it
> along side an online poker database program, Holdem manager - I've been
> running postgres 8.2 with HEM for ages now, with no problems, when earlier
> today I had a window popup from the task bar saying Delayed Write Failed,
> and then gave a file path in the postgres data\base\ folder. I was using the
> poker program at the time and this kept happening 5-6 times before I stopped
> to investigate.

a 'delayed write' error is a system error (Windows, not Postgres) caused
when it gets a disk error trying to write buffered data.   these can be
caused by various things, including a hardware problem with your disk drive.

this also means your postgres database is likely corrupted, as some data
that was supposed to be written to its data files couldn't be written to
disk.

Re: Delayed Write Failed

От
Gie Rizkiadi
Дата:
Same problem here ..

I have installed PostgreSQL 8.4.1 running on 112 Embedded PC OS Microsoft
Windows XP Embedded Version 2002 Service Pack 2 Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270
@1.60 GHz 1.32 GHz, 0.99 GB of RAM and 8GB Harddisk ( 6GB Free ) which are
connected to LAN, most of that during network problem / disconnected causes
PostgreSQL services suddenly stop and cannot start anymore, the taskbar
shows Windows Delayed Write Failed. What cause of this and how to solve this
?

Thanks GR