Обсуждение: BUG #4785: Installation fails

BUG #4785: Installation fails

От
"Roger Krimstock"
Дата:

Bug reference:      4785
Logged by:          Roger Krimstock
Email address:      rik@avaya.com
PostgreSQL version: 8.3.7-1
Operating system:   Windows XP
Details:

Installation fails with complaint about accessing data\postgresql.conf

I've added user "postgres" to administrator and superuser groups with the
same result.

Also tried the 8.4 version.

Re: BUG #4785: Installation fails

От
Dave Page
> Logged by: =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Roger Krimstock
> Email address: =A0 =A0 =A0rik@avaya.com
> PostgreSQL version: 8.3.7-1
> Operating system: =A0 Windows XP
> Details:
>
> Installation fails with complaint about accessing data\postgresql.conf
>
> I've added user "postgres" to administrator and superuser groups with the
> same result.
>
> Also tried the 8.4 version.

Which installer - the MSI or one-click?

What was the error message exactly?

--=20
Dave Page

Re: BUG #4785: Installation fails

От
"Krimstock, Roger I (Roger)"
Дата:
The one click from downloads on www.postgres.org.  Both the 8.3.7 and 8.4 v=
ersions.  The error message:
=20
---------------------------
Warning
---------------------------
Problem running post-install step. Installation may not complete correctly
 Error reading file C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.4/data/postgresql.conf
---------------------------
OK=20=20=20
---------------------------

I've tried to direct data to a different directory.  Looked at permissions,=
 etc.  It just seems that this file is not created during installation/conf=
iguration.

Thanks!

Roger Krimstock

--
Dave Page

Re: BUG #4785: Installation fails

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 7:56 PM, Krimstock, Roger I (Roger)
<rik@avaya.com> wrote:

> The one click from downloads on www.postgres.org. =A0Both the 8.3.7 and 8=
.4 versions. =A0The error message:

> ---------------------------
> Warning
> ---------------------------
> Problem running post-install step. Installation may not complete correctly
> =A0Error reading file C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.4/data/postgresql.conf
> ---------------------------
> OK
> ---------------------------
>
> I've tried to direct data to a different directory. =A0Looked at permissi=
ons, etc. =A0It just seems that this file is not created during installatio=
n/configuration.

The files is created during the initdb phase of the installation,
which if it fails *should* cause the installation to abort earlier on.
Can you dig out the log file and send it to me please (mask out any
instances of your chosen password first). You should be able to find
it in %TEMP%.

Regards, Dave.

--=20
Dave Page

Re: BUG #4785: Installation fails

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 4:41 PM, Krimstock, Roger I (Roger)
<rik@avaya.com> wrote:

> Hopefully, this is the file that will provide the information. =A0It does=
 reference postgresql.conf.

Yep, it is the right file. The pertinent bit is this:

---
Ensuring we can write to the data directory (using cacls):
Are you sure (Y/N)?processed dir: C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.4\data
Access is denied.
----

The command that seems to be failing appears to be:

echo y|cacls "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.4\data" /T /G "<username>":F

where <username> is your current username as returned by a scripting
object. Can you try running the command in a command prompt please,
and see if it works interactively (using your username)?

Also, please put the following in a file (test.vbs) and run it with:

cscript test.vbs

on the commandline. Don't include the dashes in the file:

-----
Set objNetwork =3D CreateObject("WScript.Network")
WScript.Echo objNetwork.Username
-----

Thanks.

--=20
Dave Page

Re: BUG #4785: Installation fails

От
Dave Page
Дата:
[Please keep the list CC'd]

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 3:14 AM, Krimstock, Roger I (Roger)
<rik@avaya.com> wrote:

> The command that seems to be failing appears to be:
>
> echo y|cacls "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.4\data" /T /G "<username>":F
>
> where <username> is your current username as returned by a scripting object. Can you try running the command in a
commandprompt please, and see if it works interactively (using your username)?

OK, so the basic question is, why can't you set permissions on that
directory? The installer obviously thinks you have some admin
privileges, otherwise it would have aborted at startup. Can you answer
the following please and we can try to figure out the issue?

- Is your computer on a domain?
- Is your user account a domain or local account?
- Are you a local administrator, domain administrator or member of the
power users group (or anything similar?)
- Do you have permissions to write to each directory in the path
C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.4\data ?
- Is this an NTFS filesystem?

--
Dave Page

Re: BUG #4785: Installation fails

От
"Krimstock, Roger I (Roger)"
Дата:
Dave,
Should the installer be the user "postgres"?  I've installed both as
"rik" (global domain) and "postgres" (local domain).  Each time
installation fails to write the "conf" file in /data.  See below for
answers to your questions.

Thanks!
Roger

P.S. OS is XP

<rik@avaya.com> wrote:

> The command that seems to be failing appears to be:
>
> echo y|cacls "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.4\data" /T /G=20
> "<username>":F
>
> where <username> is your current username as returned by a scripting
object. Can you try running the command in a command prompt please, and
see if it works interactively (using your username)?
"Access is denied"

OK, so the basic question is, why can't you set permissions on that
directory? The installer obviously thinks you have some admin
privileges, otherwise it would have aborted at startup. Can you answer
the following please and we can try to figure out the issue?

- Is your computer on a domain?
Yes
- Is your user account a domain or local account?
Domain account
- Are you a local administrator, domain administrator or member of the
power users group (or anything similar?)
Local administrator and I added myself to power users.
- Do you have permissions to write to each directory in the path
C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.4\data ?
Yes
- Is this an NTFS filesystem?
Yes

--
Dave Page

Re: BUG #4785: Installation fails

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 2:17 AM, Krimstock, Roger I (Roger)
<rik@avaya.com> wrote:

> Dave,
> Should the installer be the user "postgres"? =A0I've installed both as
> "rik" (global domain) and "postgres" (local domain). =A0Each time
> installation fails to write the "conf" file in /data. =A0See below for
> answers to your questions.

No - the postgres user is created by the installer so you can't use it
to run the installer on the first installation. It also doesn't have
any administrative permissions which are required.

> - Is your computer on a domain?
> Yes
> - Is your user account a domain or local account?
> Domain account
> - Are you a local administrator, domain administrator or member of the
> power users group (or anything similar?)
> Local administrator and I added myself to power users.
> - Do you have permissions to write to each directory in the path
> C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.4\data ?
> Yes
> - Is this an NTFS filesystem?
> Yes

So you have permission to write to those directories, but cacls fails
if you try to change the permissions on them. Weird.

Magnus; any ideas on what could cause this? I must admit, my Windows
management-fu is somewhat rusty these days.

--=20
Dave Page

Re: BUG #4785: Installation fails

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Magnus? Ping?

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 8:56 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 2:17 AM, Krimstock, Roger I (Roger)
> <rik@avaya.com> wrote:
>>
>> Dave,
>> Should the installer be the user "postgres"? =A0I've installed both as
>> "rik" (global domain) and "postgres" (local domain). =A0Each time
>> installation fails to write the "conf" file in /data. =A0See below for
>> answers to your questions.
>
> No - the postgres user is created by the installer so you can't use it
> to run the installer on the first installation. It also doesn't have
> any administrative permissions which are required.
>
>> - Is your computer on a domain?
>> Yes
>> - Is your user account a domain or local account?
>> Domain account
>> - Are you a local administrator, domain administrator or member of the
>> power users group (or anything similar?)
>> Local administrator and I added myself to power users.
>> - Do you have permissions to write to each directory in the path
>> C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.4\data ?
>> Yes
>> - Is this an NTFS filesystem?
>> Yes
>
> So you have permission to write to those directories, but cacls fails
> if you try to change the permissions on them. Weird.
>
> Magnus; any ideas on what could cause this? I must admit, my Windows
> management-fu is somewhat rusty these days.
>

> --
> Dave Page
> EnterpriseDB UK: =A0 http://www.enterprisedb.com

--=20
Dave Page

Re: BUG #4785: Installation fails

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Krimstock, Roger I
(Roger)<rik@avaya.com> wrote:

> Noone's answered this. =A0I'd really like to install Postgres on my work =
station.

I'm sorry - I thought I did, but I can't find it in my sent items folder.

Please try this update:
http://uploads.enterprisedb.com/download.php?file=3Dfd66bbc24b3b7105a22f54b=
11447eeea

--=20
Dave Page

Re: BUG #4785: Installation fails

От
"Krimstock, Roger I (Roger)"
Дата:
Noone's answered this.  I'd really like to install Postgres on my work stat=
ion.=20=20=20