Обсуждение: BUG #3953: No PostGIS option in installer

BUG #3953: No PostGIS option in installer

От
"Rob von Nesselrode"
Дата:

Bug reference:      3953
Logged by:          Rob von Nesselrode
Email address:      robvon@austarnet.com.au
PostgreSQL version: 8.3
Operating system:   WIndows XP
Details:

That it! No PostGIS option in installer....
Doco for install is still 8.1

Re: BUG #3953: No PostGIS option in installer

От
"Dave Page"
> That it! No PostGIS option in installer....

No. You can use Stackbuilder to install it now - it's installed by
default with 8.3.

> Doco for install is still 8.1

Not as far as I can see. Are you sure you're not looking at an old URL
or shortcut?

--
Dave Page
The Oracle-compatible database company

Re: BUG #3953: No PostGIS option in installer

От
ChrisWebster
Дата:
Anybody got a meaningful response from EnterpriseDB on this one?

I just installed EnterpriseDB Advanced Server 8.3  on Windows using EDB;s
MSI installer.  Despite all the claims on the EDB website about built-in
PostGIS support, PostGIS does not appear to be installed by default with EDB
8.3, unlike EDB 8.2.

I'm hoping to use EDB 8.3 for a demo project, but I don't want my users to
have to install/compile PostGIS themselves, so is there an EDB 8.3 Windows
variant that actually does what it's supposed to and installs PostGIS
support automatically?

Thanks for any advice!

Chris

Re: BUG #3953: No PostGIS option in installer

От
"Dave Page"
Дата:
On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 2:24 PM, ChrisWebster <cwebster@tyadar.co.uk> wrote:

> Anybody got a meaningful response from EnterpriseDB on this one?

I'm unclear why you think this would get a response from EnterpriseDB?
The reported bug was that there is no PostGIS option in the PostgreSQL
8.3 installer, which is correct - it's been made into a StackBuilder
component.

> I just installed EnterpriseDB Advanced Server 8.3  on Windows using EDB;s
> MSI installer.  Despite all the claims on the EDB website about built-in
> PostGIS support, PostGIS does not appear to be installed by default with EDB
> 8.3, unlike EDB 8.2.

Are you sure that is what you installed? Advanced Server doesn't use
an MSI installer, it has an InstallShield Java based one. The standard
server from EnterpriseDB (known now as Postgres Plus) does use an MSI
installer - perhaps you have that?

> I'm hoping to use EDB 8.3 for a demo project, but I don't want my users to
> have to install/compile PostGIS themselves, so is there an EDB 8.3 Windows
> variant that actually does what it's supposed to and installs PostGIS
> support automatically?

Both Postgres Plus and Postgres Plus Advanced Server ship with PostGIS
on all platforms. In the Advanced Server product it's in a directory
called 'spatial' under the installation directory (if memory serves -
I don't work with AS much). On the standard product it's installed
automatically in the main directory tree for the server.

If you definitely are working with an EnterpriseDB product, and not
community Postgres which this thread started out about, a better place
to ask questions would be the EnterpriseDB forums:
http://forums.enterprisedb.com/forums/list.page

--
Dave Page

Re: BUG #3953: No PostGIS option in installer

От
ChrisWebster
Дата:
Thanks for the clarification, Dave.  I posted the question here because this
was the only place I could find where there already seemed to be a relevant
discussion, but now I know about the EDB forum that's obviously a much
better place.

In terms of the problem, I downloaded the EDB AS 8.3 installer (not MSI -
you're right of course) from your website yesterday and went through the
installation process several times, trying various combinations of options
or accepting all the default options.  PostGIS simply did not install and I
couldn't even find it in the folders.  Obviously there's something fishy
going on there, but maybe it's something to do with my setup, although given
the simplicity of the installer it would seem that there are only a limited
number of places where I could screw it up!

In the meantime, I've gone back to EDB AS 8.2, which clearly gives you the
option of installing PostGIS during the installation process.  Works for me,
anyway.

To be honest, I think the idea of having the option to install various
components, including PostGIS, as in 8.2, makes for a better and more
flexible installer.  You can still go for the defaults if required, but at
least you have a little more room to tailor your installation and
investigate any problems.  Maybe your other users might appreciate this
flexibility?

Thanks again for your help.