Обсуждение: BUG #3717: libpq needs .so version raised to 6

BUG #3717: libpq needs .so version raised to 6

От
"Radim Kolar"
Дата:

Bug reference:      3717
Logged by:          Radim Kolar
Email address:      kolar.radim@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 8.3beta2
Operating system:   FreeBSD
Details:

/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/pgsql8.3/bin/psql: Undefined symbol
"PQconnectionUsedPassword"

both libpq from pgsql 8.2 and 8.3 are using same version
of .so 5. But libpq from 8.3 have new function PQconnectionUsedPassword. .so
version of 8.3 libpq needs to be raised to 6

/usr/local/pgsql8.3/lib/libpq.so.5

Re: BUG #3717: libpq needs .so version raised to 6

Дата:
"Radim Kolar" <kolar.radim@gmail.com> writes:
> both libpq from pgsql 8.2 and 8.3 are using same version
> of .so 5. But libpq from 8.3 have new function PQconnectionUsedPassword. .so
> version of 8.3 libpq needs to be raised to 6

This is not a bug.  Major version bumps in sonames are for incompatible
changes, not for additions of new entry points.

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Radim Kolar" <kolar.radim@gmail.com> writes:
> > both libpq from pgsql 8.2 and 8.3 are using same version
> > of .so 5. But libpq from 8.3 have new function PQconnectionUsedPassword. .so
> > version of 8.3 libpq needs to be raised to 6
>
> This is not a bug.  Major version bumps in sonames are for incompatible
> changes, not for additions of new entry points.

Yep, see the middle of this file for details on when we bump major
versions:

    http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/src/tools/RELEASE_CHANGES?rev=1.79;content-type=text%2Fplain