Обсуждение: BUG #3711: dropdb and creatdb with pgpass.conf file

BUG #3711: dropdb and creatdb with pgpass.conf file

От
"gregory vallet"
Дата:

Bug reference:      3711
Logged by:          gregory vallet
Email address:      gvallet@fr.abx.fr
PostgreSQL version: 8.2
Operating system:   Windows XP
Details:

In order to automatized the password on commands like pg_dump, dropdb and
creatdb, I created a pgpass.conf file with
"localhost:5432:02HH65:superuser:xxxxxxx"

With the pg_dump command, it's OK
with dropdb and creatdb, system asks me for the password.

If I replace "02HH65" with "*" like "localhost:5432:*:superuser:xxxxxxx",
it's OK for dropdb and creatdb.

Why do dropdb and creatdb can't recognize my database name?

Re: BUG #3711: dropdb and creatdb with pgpass.conf file

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
gregory vallet wrote:
> In order to automatized the password on commands like pg_dump, dropdb and
> creatdb, I created a pgpass.conf file with
> "localhost:5432:02HH65:superuser:xxxxxxx"
>
> With the pg_dump command, it's OK
> with dropdb and creatdb, system asks me for the password.
>
> If I replace "02HH65" with "*" like "localhost:5432:*:superuser:xxxxxxx",
> it's OK for dropdb and creatdb.
>
> Why do dropdb and creatdb can't recognize my database name?

createdb and dropdb are different from pg_dump and other commands in
that it always connects to the "postgres" database (or "template1", if
you're deleting or creating the postgres database), not your application
database, to execute the "CREATE DATABASE" or "DROP DATABASE" command.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas

Re: BUG #3711: dropdb and creatdb with pgpass.conf file

Дата:
"gregory vallet" <gvallet@fr.abx.fr> writes:
> Why do dropdb and creatdb can't recognize my database name?

dropdb and createdb always connect to the "postgres" database,
which you did not put an entry for into your pgpass file.

As a rule I'd suggest wildcarding the database column in pgpass;
it's pretty much useless.

            regards, tom lane