Обсуждение: Stale entries in pg_stat_activity

Stale entries in pg_stat_activity

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
PostgreSQL 8.0.0beta3 (CVS)
Solaris 9

pg_stat_activity sometimes shows old connections that have already
terminated.  I've been able to reproduce this somewhat consistently
by doing the following:

createdb test
pgbench -i test
sudo /etc/init.d/postgresql restart
pgbench -S -c 30 -t 20 test
psql -c 'SELECT * from pg_stat_activity'

(Sorry for the long lines, but on a wide terminal the output is
easier to read than if I had used -x to enable expanded output.)

 datid | datname | procpid | usesysid | usename  |                  current_query                  |
query_start

-------+---------+---------+----------+----------+-------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------
 38894 | test    |   28497 |        1 | postgres | <IDLE>                                          | 2004-10-16
20:40:17.247942-06
 38894 | test    |   28494 |        1 | postgres | <IDLE>                                          | 2004-10-16
20:40:17.247759-06
 38894 | test    |   28487 |        1 | postgres | <IDLE>                                          | 2004-10-16
20:40:16.185687-06
 38894 | test    |   28481 |        1 | postgres | <IDLE>                                          | 2004-10-16
20:40:17.120745-06
 38894 | test    |   28479 |        1 | postgres | <IDLE>                                          | 2004-10-16
20:40:16.185514-06
 38894 | test    |   28477 |        1 | postgres | <IDLE>                                          | 2004-10-16
20:40:17.119938-06
 38894 | test    |   28470 |        1 | postgres | select abalance from accounts where aid = 32673 | 2004-10-16
20:40:17.248236-06
 38894 | test    |   28462 |        1 | postgres | <IDLE>                                          | 2004-10-16
20:40:16.200115-06
 38894 | test    |   28463 |        1 | postgres | <IDLE>                                          | 2004-10-16
20:40:17.248175-06
(9 rows)

This is a test box with no other activity.  ps shows that the listed
processes don't exist and netstat shows no open TCP or Unix socket
connections to the database.  Before running pgbench I restart the
backend to be sure it has a clean slate.  The number of rows varies
from test to test -- sometimes there are none and I've seen as many
as 19 with the pgbench options shown.  Sometimes current_query shows
<IDLE> for all connections and sometimes it shows a query for some
or all of them.

Any ideas?

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

Re: Stale entries in pg_stat_activity

Дата:
Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org> writes:
> pg_stat_activity sometimes shows old connections that have already
> terminated.

Define "old"?  There's a built-in delay of up to half a second (if
memory serves) in the statistics views.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Stale entries in pg_stat_activity

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 12:01:45AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org> writes:
> > pg_stat_activity sometimes shows old connections that have already
> > terminated.
>
> Define "old"?  There's a built-in delay of up to half a second (if
> memory serves) in the statistics views.

Fourteen minutes and counting.

I just noticed the problem this evening so I don't know how long
the stale connections remain in the view.  During my testing I was
restarting the backend frequently to start each run afresh; I'll
leave the current situation alone for a while and see what happens.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

Re: Stale entries in pg_stat_activity

От
Michael Fuhr
Дата:
On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 10:30:12PM -0600, Michael Fuhr wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 12:01:45AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org> writes:
> > > pg_stat_activity sometimes shows old connections that have already
> > > terminated.
> >
> > Define "old"?  There's a built-in delay of up to half a second (if
> > memory serves) in the statistics views.
>
> Fourteen minutes and counting.

Two hours and counting.  I've also reproduced the problem using
pgbench against 8.0.0beta3 on FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

Re: Stale entries in pg_stat_activity

Дата:

>>> Define "old"?  There's a built-in delay of up to half a second (if
>>> memory serves) in the statistics views.
>>
>> Fourteen minutes and counting.

> Two hours and counting.  I've also reproduced the problem using
> pgbench against 8.0.0beta3 on FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE.

The other likely theory is that the stats subsystem is under
sufficiently heavy load that it drops a certain proportion of stats
messages (as it is designed to do, rather than causing foreground
activity to block).  If it were to drop a backend-termination message
then of course that connection would remain depicted in pg_stat_activity
until the stats collector figures out that the backend is gone.  Which
IIRC would normally happen when some new backend re-uses its BackendId
slot.

You could check for log messages "statistics buffer is full" as a
partial check of this theory.  This is only partial because it isn't
a direct test of whether messages are being dropped.

            regards, tom lane