Обсуждение: Bug #828: psql in 7.3 can't talk to 7.1 backends

Bug #828: psql in 7.3 can't talk to 7.1 backends

От
pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org
Дата:
Philip Warner (pjw@rhyme.com.au) reports a bug with a severity of 4

Short Description
psql in 7.3 can't talk to 7.1 backends

Long Description
acheron:/home/pjw/work/postgresql-7.3/src/bin/pg_dump # /var/lib/pgsql-7.3/bin/psql -p 5432 pjw
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "."
Welcome to psql 7.3, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help on internal slash commands
       \q to quit

pjw=> \d
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "."
pjw=>\l
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "("
pjw=>

Maybe this is a locale thing; but ISTM it should issue a more meaningful message or refuse to connect.

Sample Code

No file was uploaded with this report

Re: Bug #828: psql in 7.3 can't talk to 7.1 backends

От
Philip Warner
Дата:
At 08:23 AM 1/12/2002 -0500, pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org wrote:
>Maybe this is a locale thing; but ISTM it should issue a more meaningful
>message or refuse to connect.

It's a schema thing; can't talk to 7.2 either. Queries sent to backend at
startup include:

     BEGIN; SELECT usesuper FROM pg_catalog.pg_user WHERE usename =
'geochem'; COMMIT

I guess we should get the version & refuse to connect...

Fax: (+61) 03 5330 3172          |                 ___________ |
Http://www.rhyme.com.au          |                /           \|
                                  |    --________--
PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/

Re: Bug #828: psql in 7.3 can't talk to 7.1 backends

Дата:
> I guess we should get the version & refuse to connect...

We deliberately don't do that in psql.  Not having working backslash
commands is not necessarily a fatal lack of functionality --- if you're
just going to issue regular SQL commands then psql will work fine with
backends of quite different versions.  It doesn't seem like a good idea
to shut off access to that functionality.

A warning at startup about differing versions might be appropriate
though.

            regards, tom lane