Обсуждение: bug in config for cygwin

bug in config for cygwin

От
"Scott"
Дата:
Hi,

I'm not sure if what I've noticed fully qualifies as a bug...but, I run cyg=
win and also do a lot of development with vc++ (6)...Using version 7.2.1 I =
built the libpq++ libs/dll for win32 for use in my vc++ progs, and also ran=
 the 'configure' script under cygwin...the problem occurs in the pg_config_=
os.h file, where an "#include <cygwin/version.h>" occurs before an "#ifdef =
__CYGWIN__" - so naturally my vc++ builds fail. By moving the include to af=
ter the ifdef the problem goes away...I thought I'd send this here so somwo=
ne with knowledge of patching the configure scripts etc. might have a look.

Regards,
Scott=

Re: bug in config for cygwin

Дата:
I can't seem to find the file you are having a problem with.  Would you
supply the full path of the file?

Scott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure if what I've noticed fully qualifies as a bug...but,
> I run cygwin and also do a lot of development with vc++ (6)...Using
> version 7.2.1 I built the libpq++ libs/dll for win32 for use in
> my vc++ progs, and also ran the 'configure' script under
> cygwin...the problem occurs in the pg_config_os.h file, where
> an "#include <cygwin/version.h>" occurs before an "#ifdef
> __CYGWIN__" - so naturally my vc++ builds fail. By moving the
> include to after the ifdef the problem goes away...I thought
> I'd send this here so somwone with knowledge of patching the
> configure scripts etc. might have a look.
>
> Regards, Scott

Re: bug in config for cygwin

От
"Scott"
Дата:
Hi Bruce,

The path is:

 postgresql-7.2.1/src/include/pg_config_os.h

Just while I'm here - congrats for a great peice of software, and on such a
quick response time! :)

Another note - I applied that patch for QNX6 (forget authors name - sorry -
but the one that you guys argued about pretty intensly re going into version
7.2) on our QNX (6.2) development system at work...it seems to have worked
no problems. Though I didn't try installing the patched version under cygwin
or building the libpq stuff under windows...

Scott

> I can't seem to find the file you are having a problem with.  Would you
> supply the full path of the file?

-

> Scott wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm not sure if what I've noticed fully qualifies as a bug...but,
> > I run cygwin and also do a lot of development with vc++ (6)...Using
> > version 7.2.1 I built the libpq++ libs/dll for win32 for use in
> > my vc++ progs, and also ran the 'configure' script under
> > cygwin...the problem occurs in the pg_config_os.h file, where
> > an "#include <cygwin/version.h>" occurs before an "#ifdef
> > __CYGWIN__" - so naturally my vc++ builds fail. By moving the
> > include to after the ifdef the problem goes away...I thought
> > I'd send this here so somwone with knowledge of patching the
> > configure scripts etc. might have a look.
> >
> > Regards, Scott

>   +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
19073

Re: bug in config for cygwin

Scott wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
>
> The path is:
>
>  postgresql-7.2.1/src/include/pg_config_os.h

Oh, OK.  I don't see an #include <version.h> in that file so I am
confused how it got there.

> Just while I'm here - congrats for a great peice of software, and on such a
> quick response time! :)
>
> Another note - I applied that patch for QNX6 (forget authors name - sorry -
> but the one that you guys argued about pretty intensly re going into version
> 7.2) on our QNX (6.2) development system at work...it seems to have worked
> no problems. Though I didn't try installing the patched version under cygwin
> or building the libpq stuff under windows...

QNX is one of our platforms we want to get working for 7.3 but no one
has started working on it yet.  We have refactored some of the SysV
stuff so it should be easier now. If you know anyone who is interested
in submitting a QNX port patch, please let them know.

Re: bug in config for cygwin

От
Peter Eisentraut
Scott writes:

> I'm not sure if what I've noticed fully qualifies as a bug...but, I run cygwin and also do a lot of development with
vc++(6)...Using version 7.2.1 I built the libpq++ libs/dll for win32 for use in my vc++ progs, and also ran the
'configure'script under cygwin...the problem occurs in the pg_config_os.h file, where an "#include <cygwin/version.h>"
occursbefore an "#ifdef __CYGWIN__" - so naturally my vc++ builds fail. By moving the include to after the ifdef the
problemgoes away...I thought I'd send this here so somwone with knowledge of patching the configure scripts etc. might
havea look.

If you configure under cygwin then you can't build under not-cygwin.  If
you want to build the libraries for native Windows you need to follow the
instructions for the native build.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: bug in config for cygwin

От
"Scott"
Дата:
Yep I thought so - that's why I didn't think it's really a bug - but the
include really ought to be after the define, and if it was I would be able
to use the same headers for both cygwin and non-cygwin builds...would just
be 'nice to have'.

> > I'm not sure if what I've noticed fully qualifies as a bug...but, I run
cygwin and also do a lot of development with vc++ (6)...Using version 7.2.1
I built the libpq++ libs/dll for win32 for use in my vc++ progs, and also
ran the 'configure' script under cygwin...the problem occurs in the
pg_config_os.h file, where an "#include <cygwin/version.h>" occurs before an
"#ifdef __CYGWIN__" - so naturally my vc++ builds fail. By moving the
include to after the ifdef the problem goes away...I thought I'd send this
here so somwone with knowledge of patching the configure scripts etc. might
have a look.

> If you configure under cygwin then you can't build under not-cygwin.  If
> you want to build the libraries for native Windows you need to follow the
> instructions for the native build.
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: bug in config for cygwin

От
Peter Eisentraut
Scott writes:

> Yep I thought so - that's why I didn't think it's really a bug - but the
> include really ought to be after the define, and if it was I would be able
> to use the same headers for both cygwin and non-cygwin builds...would just
> be 'nice to have'.

Write to pgsql-cygwin@postgresql.org to discuss your proposal.  Maybe it's
possible, but someone knowledgeable needs to check that it doesn't break
anything else.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net