Обсуждение: Postgres 7 on Alpha

Postgres 7 on Alpha

От
Roger Wernersson
Дата:
Hi!

I have an old Alpha system which I use as a database server. I have
successufully run Postgres 6.5 on it but needed to upgrade to Postgres 7
to solve some problems. I downloaded the source of 7.0.2 as I could not
find any RPM of Postgres 7 for Alpha.

I compiled and installed it without a glitch but I can not initialize the
database. I get the following error:

bash$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
This database system will be initialized with username "postgres".
This user will own all the data files and must also own the server
process.

Creating database system directory /usr/local/pgsql/data
Creating database system directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/base
Creating database XLOG directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_xlog
Creating template database in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/template1

FATAL: s_lock(20306f80) at spin.c:116, stuck spinlock. Aborting.

FATAL: s_lock(20306f80) at spin.c:116, stuck spinlock. Aborting.

initdb failed.
Removing /usr/local/pgsql/data.
Removing temp file /tmp/initdb.26953.

I run Red Hat Linux release 6.2 (Zoot), Kernel 2.2.14-6.0 on an alpha.
What do I do now? What is a spinlock?

/Roger

Re: Postgres 7 on Alpha

Дата:
Roger Wernersson <roger.wernersson@mindark.com> writes:
> I have an old Alpha system which I use as a database server. I have
> successufully run Postgres 6.5 on it but needed to upgrade to Postgres 7
> to solve some problems. I downloaded the source of 7.0.2 as I could not
> find any RPM of Postgres 7 for Alpha.

> FATAL: s_lock(20306f80) at spin.c:116, stuck spinlock. Aborting.

According to my notes, this happens if you compile with -O2 on at least
some versions of Alpha egcs.  Try -O0 instead.  There are still some
glitches exposed by the regress tests, though, particularly in date/time
handling.  Now that we have an Alpha box available to the project, the
problems in this port should get cleaned up for 7.1.  (Given a favorable
tailwind or 25 hours in the day, that is ;-))

            regards, tom lane

Re: Postgres 7 on Alpha

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
Roger Wernersson wrote:
> I run Red Hat Linux release 6.2 (Zoot), Kernel 2.2.14-6.0 on an alpha.
> What do I do now? What is a spinlock?

Apply Ryan Kirkpatrick's patches for PostgreSQL 7.0.x, available at
http://www.rkirkpat.net/software/#linux-alpha and rebuild.

You will need to start with a fresh tarball extraction, pre-configure,
then apply the patches according to Ryan's instructions.

The RPMset does this automatically if you are building on an alpha.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio