Обсуждение: 8.4 release draft in progress ...

8.4 release draft in progress ...

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
All,

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/84ReleaseDraft

Please help; for one thing, I think my wording is a bit stilted.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: 8.4 release draft in progress ...

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
On 5/26/09 2:55 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/84ReleaseDraft
>
> Please help; for one thing, I think my wording is a bit stilted.

Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
www.pgexperts.com

Re: 8.4 release draft in progress ...

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
On Wed, 27 May 2009, Josh Berkus wrote:

> On 5/26/09 2:55 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/84ReleaseDraft
>> Please help; for one thing, I think my wording is a bit stilted.

I made a pass over the whole thing and tightened up the text some.  The
bit about the pieces committed for the pending 8.5 features didn't read
right at all, I changed that to what I think you wanted to say there.
You should check what I did to that section in particular to make sure it
reflects how you want that to read.

Re: 8.4 release draft in progress ...

От
Santiago Zarate
Дата:
i've read it, but currently i'm on the rush for a congress so i cant
give a good review yet... tho... tomorrow i'll met a friend from the
vepug... ill show it to him too...and see what he says...

Josh Berkus escribió:
> On 5/26/09 2:55 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/84ReleaseDraft
>>
>> Please help; for one thing, I think my wording is a bit stilted.
>
> Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?

Re: 8.4 release draft in progress ...

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Greg,

> I made a pass over the whole thing and tightened up the text some. The
> bit about the pieces committed for the pending 8.5 features didn't read
> right at all, I changed that to what I think you wanted to say there.
> You should check what I did to that section in particular to make sure
> it reflects how you want that to read.

Thanks.  I'm still struggling with that paragraph; you can see why I
want to say something in the release, but it's hard not to drag it out
into a 200-word paragraph and still get the point across.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
www.pgexperts.com

Re: 8.4 release draft in progress ...

От
Josh Williams
Дата:
On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 01:01 -0400, Greg Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 27 May 2009, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> > On 5/26/09 2:55 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> >> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/84ReleaseDraft
> >> Please help; for one thing, I think my wording is a bit stilted.
>
> I made a pass over the whole thing and tightened up the text some.  The
> bit about the pieces committed for the pending 8.5 features didn't read
> right at all, I changed that to what I think you wanted to say there.
> You should check what I did to that section in particular to make sure it
> reflects how you want that to read.

Looking good so far!  Threw in a couple more cents myself, and included
improved deadlock reporting as an administrative feature (at least it
seems important enough to me; I could be wrong.) :)

Are you sure about leaving the performance features out entirely?
Granted there might not be enough benchmark numbers for the general use
case, but the topic of performance seems conspicuously absent as it is
now.

Maybe mark some of the existing features - parallel restore, reduced
vacuum overhead - as performance-oriented in some way?

- Josh Williams

Re: 8.4 release draft in progress ...

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Josh,

> Looking good so far!  Threw in a couple more cents myself,

Thanks.

and included
> improved deadlock reporting as an administrative feature (at least it
> seems important enough to me; I could be wrong.) :)

Yes, but it's one of 50-or-so features which matter to existing
production Postgres DBAs, and not to people who haven't used it before.
  We want to keep the features oriented towards people who aren't
already intimate with PostgreSQL; those will read the internal release
and the release notes.

> Are you sure about leaving the performance features out entirely?
> Granted there might not be enough benchmark numbers for the general use
> case, but the topic of performance seems conspicuously absent as it is
> now.

I thought about that some, but I really think it's the best thing to do.
  Our two main performance features are Visibility Map, new Hash Indexes
and Improved Hash Joins, and all of those are "special-case"
improvements.  As new features, they're not nearly as compelling as
Windowing aggregates or column permissions.

And the release has three sections as it is: delvoper, administrative,
ongoing work on big features.  It doesn't need a 4th section; brevity is
the soul of wit.  ;-)

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
www.pgexperts.com

Re: 8.4 release draft in progress ...

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Josh,

> Yes, but it's one of 50-or-so features which matter to existing
> production Postgres DBAs, and not to people who haven't used it before.
> We want to keep the features oriented towards people who aren't already
> intimate with PostgreSQL; those will read the internal release and the
> release notes.

Mind you, what this *does* point out is that everyone has their favorite
feature which is going to improve their lives ... and it's not
necessarily the headliners.

For example, my favorite feature from 8.2?  CSVlog.  But I'm not sure we
even put that on the release announcement.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
www.pgexperts.com

Re: 8.4 release draft in progress ...

От
Josh Williams
Дата:
On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 15:13 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Josh,
>
> > Yes, but it's one of 50-or-so features which matter to existing
> > production Postgres DBAs, and not to people who haven't used it before.
> > We want to keep the features oriented towards people who aren't already
> > intimate with PostgreSQL; those will read the internal release and the
> > release notes.
>
> Mind you, what this *does* point out is that everyone has their favorite
> feature which is going to improve their lives ... and it's not
> necessarily the headliners.

Yep, good point; line removed.  Have to remember this is effectively the
"executive summary" of the release.  If it could leave some people
scratching their heads, less is probably more.  As you said, brevity. :)

- Josh Williams

8.4 release draft: a new tack

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
All,

I had an interesting conversation about the release draft with a
professional PR person.  What he said, in a nutshell, was that is was
extremely boring (although he used stronger language than that).

And, reading it afresh this morning, I have to agree.

What I'm hearing about from users is that each one has their own
favorite feature (out of the 293 in the release) which will make their
life vastly easier.   The cited favorite features are extremely diverse,
ranging from column permissions to the SSL cleanup to partial GIN
matches to CIText to \df.

I'm wondering if that should be the "story" of our release.
"PostgreSQL: easier to manage than ever before."  It would give some
badly-needed structure to the release.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: 8.4 release draft: a new tack

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 11:41 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>

> I'm wondering if that should be the "story" of our release.
> "PostgreSQL: easier to manage than ever before."  It would give some
> badly-needed structure to the release.

That isn't a bad idea.  Not sure about the above wording but I agree
with your point.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: 8.4 release draft: a new tack

От
Jeff Davis
Дата:
On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 11:41 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> I'm wondering if that should be the "story" of our release.
> "PostgreSQL: easier to manage than ever before."  It would give some
> badly-needed structure to the release.

There was a similar thread a while back, here was my thought at the
time:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-advocacy/2009-03/msg00049.php

I think maybe words like "analytics" and "expressiveness" are both
interesting, and vague enough to capture a lot of the new features that
went in.

CTEs and window functions are the obvious ones, but everything from
"auto-explain" to the visibility map (and even bumping the default stats
to 100) seem to make PostgreSQL into a more complete solution to solve
that class of problem -- including the manageability and performance
aspects to make it work. I think there is a story here somewhere.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis

Re: 8.4 release draft: a new tack

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
Jeff Davis wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 11:41 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> I'm wondering if that should be the "story" of our release.
>> "PostgreSQL: easier to manage than ever before."  It would give some
>> badly-needed structure to the release.
>
> There was a similar thread a while back, here was my thought at the
> time:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-advocacy/2009-03/msg00049.php
>
> I think maybe words like "analytics" and "expressiveness" are both
> interesting, and vague enough to capture a lot of the new features that
> went in.
>
> CTEs and window functions are the obvious ones, but everything from
> "auto-explain" to the visibility map (and even bumping the default stats
> to 100) seem to make PostgreSQL into a more complete solution to solve
> that class of problem -- including the manageability and performance
> aspects to make it work. I think there is a story here somewhere.

I kinda like the "analytics/expressiveness" thingy along the lines of:
"express more - manage less" :)

Stefan

Re: 8.4 release draft: a new tack

От
Selena Deckelmann
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> I had an interesting conversation about the release draft with a
> professional PR person.  What he said, in a nutshell, was that is was
> extremely boring (although he used stronger language than that).

+10000

> What I'm hearing about from users is that each one has their own
> favorite feature (out of the 293 in the release) which will make their
> life vastly easier.   The cited favorite features are extremely diverse,
> ranging from column permissions to the SSL cleanup to partial GIN
> matches to CIText to \df.

+10 for \ef :D

I *hated* the whole stupid cut and paste process. I <3 \ef

-selena

Re: 8.4 release draft: a new tack

От
Ned Lilly
Дата:
On 6/1/2009 2:41 PM Josh Berkus wrote:
> What I'm hearing about from users is that each one has their own
> favorite feature (out of the 293 in the release) which will make their
> life vastly easier.   The cited favorite features are extremely diverse,
> ranging from column permissions to the SSL cleanup to partial GIN
> matches to CIText to \df.
>
> I'm wondering if that should be the "story" of our release. "PostgreSQL:
> easier to manage than ever before."  It would give some badly-needed
> structure to the release.

+1.

And in the wake of the MySQL/Sun/Oracle saga, it would be nice to use the word "easy" more often.  Fair or unfair,
that'sbeen the knock on Postgres vs. MySQL for some time.

Cheers,
Ned

Re: 8.4 release draft: a new tack

От
Selena Deckelmann
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> I had an interesting conversation about the release draft with a
> professional PR person.  What he said, in a nutshell, was that is was
> extremely boring (although he used stronger language than that).
>
> And, reading it afresh this morning, I have to agree.
>
> What I'm hearing about from users is that each one has their own
> favorite feature (out of the 293 in the release) which will make their
> life vastly easier.   The cited favorite features are extremely diverse,
> ranging from column permissions to the SSL cleanup to partial GIN
> matches to CIText to \df.
>
> I'm wondering if that should be the "story" of our release. "PostgreSQL:
> easier to manage than ever before."  It would give some badly-needed
> structure to the release.

Another data point - the Drupal release announcement:

http://drupal.org/drupal-6.0

-selena

Re: 8.4 release draft: a new tack

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
> I think maybe words like "analytics" and "expressiveness" are both
> interesting, and vague enough to capture a lot of the new features that
> went in.

Hmmm.  Can I quote you as "Senior Database Architect, Truviso"?

;-)

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
www.pgexperts.com

Re: 8.4 release draft: a new tack

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
All,

OK, try this out and see if it's any better:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/84ReleaseDraft#The_Draft

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
www.pgexperts.com

Re: 8.4 release draft: a new tack

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Selena,

> Another data point - the Drupal release announcement:
>
> http://drupal.org/drupal-6.0

Now *that's* a nice release page.

'course, they *have* web designers in their community ...

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
www.pgexperts.com

Re: 8.4 release draft: a new tack

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
All,

Given the total lack of commentary or corrections, I will assume that
the current draft is good and send it to the copy-editor.

--Josh Berkus

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
www.pgexperts.com

Re: 8.4 release draft: a new tack

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
On Thu, 4 Jun 2009, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Given the total lack of commentary or corrections, I will assume that the
> current draft is good and send it to the copy-editor.

I've been staring at the text and just haven't had any particular
inspiration for how to improve the part I don't like yet.  The thing
that's missing there is tying together the "easier" theme by properly
including the programming features in that classification, too.

The new 8.4 features certainly make some types of database programming
tasks far easier, but the way it reads right now they sound like they've
mainly made the product more complicated.  I started in that direction
with "allowing users to ask interesting questions in a single query that
would have been impossible to ask before" fairly deep into there, I wonder
if the beginning section around "as well as several advanced programming
features" should kick off that idea much earlier.

Re: 8.4 release draft: a new tack

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Greg,

> The new 8.4 features certainly make some types of database programming
> tasks far easier, but the way it reads right now they sound like they've
> mainly made the product more complicated. I started in that direction
> with "allowing users to ask interesting questions in a single query that
> would have been impossible to ask before" fairly deep into there, I
> wonder if the beginning section around "as well as several advanced
> programming features" should kick off that idea much earlier.

Hmmmm, good idea.  I'll see if anything comes to me.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
www.pgexperts.com

Re: 8.4 release draft: a new tack

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Greg,

See what you think of the new version:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/84ReleaseDraft#Version_2:_Emphasizing_Administration

--Josh Berkus

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
www.pgexperts.com

Re: 8.4 release draft: a new tack

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
On 6/4/09 12:25 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Greg,
>
> See what you think of the new version:
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/84ReleaseDraft#Version_2:_Emphasizing_Administration

Actually, out of time ... this needs to go to the translators this
weekend.

At this point, people should only point out major typos and errors.

--Josh Berkus

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
www.pgexperts.com

Re: 8.4 release draft: a new tack

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
On Thu, 4 Jun 2009, Josh Berkus wrote:

> See what you think of the new version:
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/84ReleaseDraft#Version_2:_Emphasizing_Administration

Almost there, I just applied some touchup as well.  I though that the word
"advanced" should be nowhere near the word "easy"; those two just don't go
together in most people's minds.  Any other changes left here probably
fall into the copyediting bin.

I also added some verbage to the paragaph about the features that taking a
couple of releases to get in, that didn't really make sense to someone who
wasn't really familiar with the history of the project.  It explains that
slightly better now, you might look it over again from that angle before
passing it along.

Re: 8.4 release draft: a new tack

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Greg,

> I also added some verbage to the paragaph about the features that taking
> a couple of releases to get in, that didn't really make sense to someone
> who wasn't really familiar with the history of the project. It explains
> that slightly better now, you might look it over again from that angle
> before passing it along.

Hmmm, no, that's worse.  I'm wondering if we just have to kill that idea
out of the release; it's proving impossible to explain in any concise way.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.