Обсуждение: 9.5 repo question

9.5 repo question

От
John Scalia
Дата:
Hi all,

I'm wanting to test the most recent version of postgresql, so I went to yum.postgresql.org and started looking in the repo for stuff to download. Nearly every component there has 3 rpms, a rc1 copy in addition to a 1 and 2 rpm. My question is, do I need the rc1 rpm in addition to the 1 & 2 rpm's?  Or which ones do I need exactly for each component? I've done a little digging on the site, and I didn't really find any guidance.

Thanks in advance,
Jay

Re: 9.5 repo question

От
Jeff Frost
Дата:
I'm wanting to test the most recent version of postgresql, so I went to yum.postgresql.org and started looking in the repo for stuff to download. Nearly every component there has 3 rpms, a rc1 copy in addition to a 1 and 2 rpm. My question is, do I need the rc1 rpm in addition to the 1 & 2 rpm's?  Or which ones do I need exactly for each component? I've done a little digging on the site, and I didn't really find any guidance.

You want the ones that are 9.5.0-<latest>.  So, in the RHEL6/x86_64 repo, that is:

9.5.0-2PGDG.rhel6

If you let yum do the work for you, then after installing the appropriate repo RPM you can just: yum install postgresql95 and it’ll download and install the latest for you.

Hope that helps.

Re: 9.5 repo question

От
John Scalia
Дата:
So, then don't bother with the rc1 rpms?  Oh, and I can't use yum here to download due to configuration issues, although I do use it for the actual install.

I'm wanting to test the most recent version of postgresql, so I went to yum.postgresql.org and started looking in the repo for stuff to download. Nearly every component there has 3 rpms, a rc1 copy in addition to a 1 and 2 rpm. My question is, do I need the rc1 rpm in addition to the 1 & 2 rpm's?  Or which ones do I need exactly for each component? I've done a little digging on the site, and I didn't really find any guidance.

You want the ones that are 9.5.0-<latest>.  So, in the RHEL6/x86_64 repo, that is:

9.5.0-2PGDG.rhel6

If you let yum do the work for you, then after installing the appropriate repo RPM you can just: yum install postgresql95 and it’ll download and install the latest for you.

Hope that helps.

Re: 9.5 repo question

От
Jeff Frost
Дата:
> On Jan 27, 2016, at 9:02 AM, John Scalia <jayknowsunix@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So, then don't bother with the rc1 rpms?  Oh, and I can't use yum here to download due to configuration issues,
althoughI do use it for the actual install.

rc1 RPMs are release candidate 1.  9.5.0 is the release, so that’s what you want going forward.

Re: 9.5 repo question

От
John Scalia
Дата:
Thanks

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 11:08 AM, Jeff Frost <jeff@pgexperts.com> wrote:

> On Jan 27, 2016, at 9:02 AM, John Scalia <jayknowsunix@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So, then don't bother with the rc1 rpms?  Oh, and I can't use yum here to download due to configuration issues, although I do use it for the actual install.

rc1 RPMs are release candidate 1.  9.5.0 is the release, so that’s what you want going forward.

Re: 9.5 repo question

От
John Scalia
Дата:
Umm... new problem. I first installed both postgresql95-libs-9.5.0-1PGDG.rhel6.x86_64.rpm and the libs-2PGDG rpm. I then tried installing postgresql-9.5.0-1PGDG.rhel.x86_64.rpm, but yum complains that libs-1PGDG is not installed. I ran "yum list postgresql95-libs" and, sure enough, it is reporting that only libs-2PGDG.rhel is installed for the postgresql95-libs.x86_64 package. I've tried getting around the problem by --skip-broken, but that didn't work either, nor did the other yum suggestion to use -Va --nofiles --nodigest. I also tried to reinstall libs-1PGDG, but that fails as well.

Any suggestions as to how to get everything installed?

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 11:38 AM, John Scalia <jayknowsunix@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 11:08 AM, Jeff Frost <jeff@pgexperts.com> wrote:

> On Jan 27, 2016, at 9:02 AM, John Scalia <jayknowsunix@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So, then don't bother with the rc1 rpms?  Oh, and I can't use yum here to download due to configuration issues, although I do use it for the actual install.

rc1 RPMs are release candidate 1.  9.5.0 is the release, so that’s what you want going forward.

Re: 9.5 repo question

От
Jeff Frost
Дата:
> On Jan 27, 2016, at 12:05 PM, John Scalia <jayknowsunix@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Umm... new problem. I first installed both postgresql95-libs-9.5.0-1PGDG.rhel6.x86_64.rpm and the libs-2PGDG rpm. I
thentried installing postgresql-9.5.0-1PGDG.rhel.x86_64.rpm, but yum complains that libs-1PGDG is not installed. I ran
"yumlist postgresql95-libs" and, sure enough, it is reporting that only libs-2PGDG.rhel is installed for the
postgresql95-libs.x86_64package. I've tried getting around the problem by --skip-broken, but that didn't work either,
nordid the other yum suggestion to use -Va --nofiles --nodigest. I also tried to reinstall libs-1PGDG, but that fails
aswell.

> Any suggestions as to how to get everything installed?

Yah, you don’t want any of the -1PGDG RPMs, only the -2PGDG RPMs.

Re: 9.5 repo question

От
John Scalia
Дата:
Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow morning, when I get back to the office.

Sent from my iPad

> On Jan 27, 2016, at 3:58 PM, Jeff Frost <jeff@pgexperts.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jan 27, 2016, at 12:05 PM, John Scalia <jayknowsunix@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Umm... new problem. I first installed both postgresql95-libs-9.5.0-1PGDG.rhel6.x86_64.rpm and the libs-2PGDG rpm. I
thentried installing postgresql-9.5.0-1PGDG.rhel.x86_64.rpm, but yum complains that libs-1PGDG is not installed. I ran
"yumlist postgresql95-libs" and, sure enough, it is reporting that only libs-2PGDG.rhel is installed for the
postgresql95-libs.x86_64package. I've tried getting around the problem by --skip-broken, but that didn't work either,
nordid the other yum suggestion to use -Va --nofiles --nodigest. I also tried to reinstall libs-1PGDG, but that fails
aswell.

>> Any suggestions as to how to get everything installed?
>
> Yah, you don’t want any of the -1PGDG RPMs, only the -2PGDG RPMs.

Re: 9.5 repo question

От
jaime soler
Дата:
El mié, 27-01-2016 a las 11:02 -0600, John Scalia escribió:
> So, then don't bother with the rc1 rpms?  Oh, and I can't use yum
> here to download due to configuration issues, although I do use it
> for the actual install.

Well, you could use a local repo, mirroring yum.postgresql.org if you
have internet restrictions.

> On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 10:48 AM, Jeff Frost <jeff@pgexperts.com>
> wrote:
> > On Jan 27, 2016, at 7:45 AM, John Scalia <jayknowsunix@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > I'm wanting to test the most recent version of postgresql, so I
> > > went to yum.postgresql.org and started looking in the repo for
> > > stuff to download. Nearly every component there has 3 rpms, a rc1
> > > copy in addition to a 1 and 2 rpm. My question is, do I need the
> > > rc1 rpm in addition to the 1 & 2 rpm's?  Or which ones do I need
> > > exactly for each component? I've done a little digging on the
> > > site, and I didn't really find any guidance.
> > You want the ones that are 9.5.0-<latest>.  So, in the RHEL6/x86_64
> > repo, that is:
> >
> > 9.5.0-2PGDG.rhel6
> >
> > If you let yum do the work for you, then after installing the
> > appropriate repo RPM you can just: yum install postgresql95 and
> > it’ll download and install the latest for you.
> >
> > Hope that helps.

Re: 9.5 repo question

От
John Scalia
Дата:
We do already have a local repo, but only packages that have been approved by our security team get included. They haven't validated the latest postgresql yet, that's actually what I'm trying to assist them with.

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 6:35 AM, jaime soler <jaime.soler@gmail.com> wrote:
El mié, 27-01-2016 a las 11:02 -0600, John Scalia escribió:
> So, then don't bother with the rc1 rpms?  Oh, and I can't use yum
> here to download due to configuration issues, although I do use it
> for the actual install.

Well, you could use a local repo, mirroring yum.postgresql.org if you
have internet restrictions.

> On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 10:48 AM, Jeff Frost <jeff@pgexperts.com>
> wrote:
> > On Jan 27, 2016, at 7:45 AM, John Scalia <jayknowsunix@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > I'm wanting to test the most recent version of postgresql, so I
> > > went to yum.postgresql.org and started looking in the repo for
> > > stuff to download. Nearly every component there has 3 rpms, a rc1
> > > copy in addition to a 1 and 2 rpm. My question is, do I need the
> > > rc1 rpm in addition to the 1 & 2 rpm's?  Or which ones do I need
> > > exactly for each component? I've done a little digging on the
> > > site, and I didn't really find any guidance.
> > You want the ones that are 9.5.0-<latest>.  So, in the RHEL6/x86_64
> > repo, that is:
> >
> > 9.5.0-2PGDG.rhel6
> >
> > If you let yum do the work for you, then after installing the
> > appropriate repo RPM you can just: yum install postgresql95 and
> > it’ll download and install the latest for you.
> >
> > Hope that helps.

Re: 9.5 repo question

От
jaime soler
Дата:
El lun, 01-02-2016 a las 08:13 -0600, John Scalia escribió:
> We do already have a local repo, but only packages that have been
> approved by our security team get included. They haven't validated
> the latest postgresql yet, that's actually what I'm trying to assist
> them with.
Ok, goog luck. So I hope you'll use stable version only.