Обсуждение: connect postgresql to a different cluster

connect postgresql to a different cluster

От
Zoltan Szecsei
Дата:
Hi,
My question refers to a newly installed postgresql 9.4 on ubuntu 15.04.

Is it possible to mount a file system with an existing 9.4 version
postgresql cluster onto a new machine and get a fresh postgresql install
to connect to that cluster?

When I installed postgresql it created a /var/lib/postgrersql/9.4/main
cluster, and pointed to it via /etc/postgresql/9.4/main

I then mounted a HD with an existing v9.4 postgresql cluster called
gisdata at /mnt/geo_pgsql/postgres.
Note that I have no /etc/postgresql/9.4/gisdata directory. (I forgot to
back it up before reinstalling ubuntu)

initdb -D /mnt/geo_pgsql/postgres will clobber my existing gisdata
cluster, will it not?

So is there a way to move a cluster to another (same version) postgreql
installation?

Just for giggles I tried copying the /etc/postgresql/9.4/main folder to
/etc/postgresql/9.4/gisdata and hacking the contents therein, but that
never worked.

Googling around and reading installation guides only comes up with
creating new clusters.
I doubt if setting the PGDATA variable  (where is that set???) will help
as the /etc/postgresql/9.4/gisdata is missing.

A thought is to change the name of this cluster to xxx, create the
cluster again, delete it and mv xxx back to this name.

But maybe there is an elegant way to "import" a cluster?

TIA,
Zoltan

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
GIS and Photogrammetric Services

P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax:    +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za

Re: connect postgresql to a different cluster

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
But maybe there is an elegant way to "import" a cluster?

​It should possible to accomplish your goal without performing "initdb"​ - though you may find it easier to forgo the Ubuntu utilities and just write the necessary pg_ctl commands yourself.  You indeed need to use either "$PGDATA" or explicit command line parameters and just point directly at the cluster data directory that you mounted - with pg_ctl, not initdb.

Whether that is easier than a simple pg_dump/pg_restore ​"import" it up for you to decide.

You might be able to rename things to match the expected structure for the Ubuntu cluster commands.

David J.

Re: connect postgresql to a different cluster

От
"Gilberto Castillo"

> My question refers to a newly installed postgresql 9.4 on ubuntu 15.04.
>
> Is it possible to mount a file system with an existing 9.4 version
> postgresql cluster onto a new machine and get a fresh postgresql install
> to connect to that cluster?
>
> When I installed postgresql it created a /var/lib/postgrersql/9.4/main
> cluster, and pointed to it via /etc/postgresql/9.4/main
>
> I then mounted a HD with an existing v9.4 postgresql cluster called
> gisdata at /mnt/geo_pgsql/postgres.
> Note that I have no /etc/postgresql/9.4/gisdata directory. (I forgot to
> back it up before reinstalling ubuntu)
>
> initdb -D /mnt/geo_pgsql/postgres will clobber my existing gisdata
> cluster, will it not?

Use:
  pg_ctl -D /mnt/geo_pgsql/postgres -l /tmp/logfile start

Saludos,
Gilberto Castillo
ETECSA, La Habana, Cuba
---
This message was processed by Kaspersky Mail Gateway 5.6.28/RELEASE running at host imx3.etecsa.cu
Visit our web-site: <http://www.kaspersky.com>, <http://www.viruslist.com>

Re: connect postgresql to a different cluster

От
Zoltan Szecsei
Дата:
Hi,
Thanks to David and Gilberto for the input.

All sorted and working.

Kind regards,
Zoltan