Обсуждение: WARNING: database must be vacuumed within 8439472 transactions

WARNING: database must be vacuumed within 8439472 transactions

От
Prabhjot Sheena
Дата:
Hello
       We are using postgresql 8.3 database for last 5 yrs for this production database and its running fine. This is our critical database which runs 24*7. This weekend we started getting these messages

HINT:  To avoid a database shutdown, execute a full-database VACUUM.
WARNING:  database  must be vacuumed within 8439472 transactions

i am currently running this command

vacuumdb --analyze db

while this command is running i m still getting these messages

WARNING:  database  must be vacuumed within 2645303 transactions.

The value of number of transactions is going down every minute

Can anyone tell me what is the best way to sort up this issue.

Thanks
Avi

Re: [GENERAL] WARNING: database must be vacuumed within 8439472 transactions

От
Mike Christensen
Дата:
Sounds like you just have to wait until it finishes..

       We are using postgresql 8.3 database for last 5 yrs for this production database and its running fine. This is our critical database which runs 24*7. This weekend we started getting these messages

HINT:  To avoid a database shutdown, execute a full-database VACUUM.
WARNING:  database  must be vacuumed within 8439472 transactions

i am currently running this command

vacuumdb --analyze db

while this command is running i m still getting these messages

WARNING:  database  must be vacuumed within 2645303 transactions.

The value of number of transactions is going down every minute

Can anyone tell me what is the best way to sort up this issue.

Thanks
Avi

Re: [GENERAL] WARNING: database must be vacuumed within 8439472 transactions

От
Nicolas Zin
Maybe you can priorize your worker with a ionice?

[...]

Frank Pinto
Дата:
That actually sounds terrifying. I'd throw up a caching layer ASAP to try to decrease the speed those transactions are happening.

Frank

[...]

Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Prabhjot Sheena wrote:
> Hello
>        We are using postgresql 8.3 database for last 5 yrs for this
> production database and its running fine. This is our critical database
> which runs 24*7. This weekend we started getting these messages
>
> HINT:  To avoid a database shutdown, execute a full-database VACUUM.
> WARNING:  database  must be vacuumed within 8439472 transactions

Did you omit the database name here, or is it really an empty string?
Make sure you vacuum exactly the database mentioned there.  Autovacuum
should be doing it, though, but perhaps it's dying for some reason and
it can't vacuum one table in particular.  You should check your log for
errors.

Re: [GENERAL] WARNING: database must be vacuumed within 8439472 transactions

От
Prabhjot Sheena
While the vacuumdb --analyze command is running i m getting these messages for these tables which might require full vacuum.

WARNING:  relation "public.result" contains more than "max_fsm_pages" pages with useful free space
HINT:  Consider using VACUUM FULL on this relation or increasing the configuration parameter "max_fsm_pages".

WARNING:  relation "public.run" contains more than "max_fsm_pages" pages with useful free space

--
Álvaro Herrera                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Re: [GENERAL] WARNING: database must be vacuumed within 8439472 transactions

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Prabhjot Sheena wrote:
> While the vacuumdb --analyze command is running i m getting these messages
> for these tables which might require full vacuum.
>
> WARNING:  relation "public.result" contains more than "max_fsm_pages" pages
> with useful free space
> HINT:  Consider using VACUUM FULL on this relation or increasing the
> configuration parameter "max_fsm_pages".

Ouch.  I had read you were on 9.3 in your first email, but this message
gives me a trip back in time a decade ago -- you're on 8.3!  Clearly you
have had vacuuming issues for a long time.

Re: WARNING: database must be vacuumed within 8439472 transactions

От
Matheus de Oliveira

       We are using postgresql 8.3 database for last 5 yrs for this production database and its running fine.

Man. You really should consider upgrading to a more recent version. If you are running "fine" with 8.3 you'll be running fantastically fine on 9.3... :-)

Also, 8.3 is EOL now. People shouldn't be using it anymore.

This is our critical database which runs 24*7. This weekend we started getting these messages

HINT:  To avoid a database shutdown, execute a full-database VACUUM.
WARNING:  database  must be vacuumed within 8439472 transactions

i am currently running this command

vacuumdb --analyze db

while this command is running i m still getting these messages

WARNING:  database  must be vacuumed within 2645303 transactions.

If your VACUUM is still running, it may be a simple problem of waiting it (and hopping for it to finish before you run out of transactions). You shouldn't be using --analyze there, because it is not necessary for this case and may slow down the VACUUM.

Another problem you need to consider is that if there is a really old transaction (about 2bi old) opened that is preventing VACUUM to lower relfrozenxid on tables. To do this you first need to check for very old sessions at pg_stat_activity and also (if you use prepared transaction) query pg_prepared_xacts, if something old is there you must finish it either with ROLLBACK PREPARED or (less likely) COMMIT PREPARED.

Matheus de Oliveira
Analista de Banco de Dados
Dextra Sistemas - MPS.Br nível F!
www.dextra.com.br/postgres