Обсуждение: Postgresql not getting assigned memory

Postgresql not getting assigned memory

От
Oliver
Дата:
Hello,
I'm new in postgresql, I'm sorry if I do something bad.
Default value or shared_buffers is 128MB, I have a dedicated server for postgresql with 8GB RAM. I've changed shared_buffers value to 2048MB and uncommented the entry in postgresql.conf. It shows now:

# - Memory -

shared_buffers = 2048MB                 # min 128kB

When I restart instance or even server, pgstartup.log indicates:

seleccionando el valor para shared_buffers ... 128MB (I'm sorry, I'm spanish and server is configured in spanish). But it shows something as: selecting shared_buffers value ... 128MB.
What I do bad? Thanks beforehand.

Cheers...

Re: Postgresql not getting assigned memory

От
Jan Lentfer
Дата:
Am 2014-06-20 13:51, schrieb Oliver:
[...]
> When I restart instance or even server, pgstartup.log indicates:
>
> seleccionando el valor para shared_buffers ... 128MB (I'm sorry, I'm
> spanish and server is configured in spanish). But it shows something
> as: selecting shared_buffers value ... 128MB.

set lc_messages = 'C' in postgresql.conf to get english logs.

What version of postgres is this? If it's is lower than 9.3 you might
need to read this:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/kernel-resources.html

hth

Jan

Re: Postgresql not getting assigned memory

От
Oliver
Дата:
I'm sorry, I've renamed pg_startup.log for when postgresql was restarted, file would be recreated, but it only appends information about that the output of the register will appear in the directory pg_log .. it doesn't return to show server configuration data, so I suppose that 128MB of shared_buffers is an entry about postgresql was created for first time.
Although, I continue not being sure about if it is getting assigned 2048MB .. because I run top command and it shows little memory used (total 8GB, used 340MB, free 7.6GB).
With 2048MB as shared_buffers, it should assined initially when postgresql server starts or it starts with a memory and it can grow until 2048MB?

$ more PG_VERSION
9.3

Thanks beforehand.

Cheers...

When I restart instance or even server, pgstartup.log indicates:

seleccionando el valor para shared_buffers ... 128MB (I'm sorry, I'm
spanish and server is configured in spanish). But it shows something
as: selecting shared_buffers value ... 128MB.

set lc_messages = 'C' in postgresql.conf to get english logs.

What version of postgres is this? If it's is lower than 9.3 you might need to read this:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/kernel-resources.html

hth

Jan

Re: Postgresql not getting assigned memory

От
Kevin Grittner
Дата:
Oliver <ofabelo@gmail.com> wrote:

> $ more PG_VERSION
> 9.3

If you can start the databased service and connect to it, the best
way to check the version is:

  SELECT version();

If you can't start the service, you can do this:

  $ postgres --version

(You may need to specify the path to the postgres executable.)

Either way you should be able to determine the minor release.  It
is always a good idea to keep up-to-date on minor releases (where
the version number only changes to the right of the second dot),
because in PostgreSQL we only include fixes for serious bugs and
security vulnerabilities in minor releases, not new features.  See
this page for additional discussion of the issue:

http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/

This is even more important than usual for 9.3, which had some data
corruption bugs in early versions.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: [GENERAL] Postgresql not getting assigned memory

От
Abdul Sayeed
Дата:
Hi,

Can you please check the output of below command:

postgres=# show shared_buffers ;

Thanks & Regards,
Abdul Sayeed
System Engineer

The Postgres Database Company

Are you updated: Latest version of Postgres Plus Advanced Server are 8.4.19.42, 9.0.16.34, 9.1.12.20, 9.2.8.19 and 9.3.4.10

To reach Support Call:
US: +1-732-331-1320  - UK: +44 - 2033719820
Brazil: +55-2139581371 - India: +91-20-32676535

EnterpriseDB Blog : http://blogs.enterprisedb.com
Follow us on Twitter : http://www.twitter.com/enterprisedb
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This e-mail transmission and any documents, files, or previous e-mail messages appended or attached to it, may contain information that is confidential or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you must not read this transmission and that any disclosure, copying, printing, distribution, or use of the information contained or attached to this transmission is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender by telephone or return e-mail message and delete the original transmission, its attachments, and any copies without reading or saving in any manner. Thank you.

I'm new in postgresql, I'm sorry if I do something bad.

# - Memory -

shared_buffers = 2048MB                 # min 128kB

When I restart instance or even server, pgstartup.log indicates:

seleccionando el valor para shared_buffers ... 128MB (I'm sorry, I'm spanish and server is configured in spanish). But it shows something as: selecting shared_buffers value ... 128MB.
What I do bad? Thanks beforehand.

Cheers...

Re: Postgresql not getting assigned memory

От
Oliver
Дата:
Thanks.
It is 9.3.4 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu.
Service can start perfectly. I only want be sure about shared_buffers parameter. What I set there, is it memory that postgresql will use (will allocate) initially (when it is started) or memory until that postgresql can reach of the server?
Thanks.

Cheers...

Oliver <ofabelo@gmail.com> wrote:

> $ more PG_VERSION
> 9.3

If you can start the databased service and connect to it, the best
way to check the version is:

  SELECT version();

If you can't start the service, you can do this:

  $ postgres --version

(You may need to specify the path to the postgres executable.)

Either way you should be able to determine the minor release.  It
is always a good idea to keep up-to-date on minor releases (where
the version number only changes to the right of the second dot),
because in PostgreSQL we only include fixes for serious bugs and
security vulnerabilities in minor releases, not new features.  See
this page for additional discussion of the issue:

http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/

This is even more important than usual for 9.3, which had some data
corruption bugs in early versions.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: [GENERAL] Postgresql not getting assigned memory

От
Oliver
Дата:
Thank you very much to all.

postgres=# show shared_buffers;
 shared_buffers
----------------
 2GB
(1 row)

Is it ok then, isn't it? DB hasn't activity now because it is a new instance, top command indicates only 350MB of used memory .. I understand that postgresql could reach until 2GB of server memory as total, correct?
Thanks beforehand.

Cheers...

[...]

Дата:
Oliver <ofabelo@gmail.com> wrote:

> I only want be sure about shared_buffers parameter. What I set
> there, is it memory that postgresql will use (will allocate)
> initially (when it is started) or memory until that postgresql
> can reach of the server?

It is part of the main shared memory segment allocated when the
database service starts, and to which every backend connects.  Each
backend makes other allocations from the OS, which are not
consrtained by this setting.

PostgreSQL goes through the OS filesystems, so the OS cache and
buffers are also used for PostgreSQL data.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: [GENERAL] Postgresql not getting assigned memory

От
Abdul Sayeed
Дата:
Hi,

It shows 2GB. It means it is updated. Shared_buffer memory is used at postgresql database level, It will consume while doing operation such as INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE and other maintenance task (VACUUM/VACUUM FULL).

Thanks,
Abdul

[...]

Дата:
Oliver <ofabelo@gmail.com> wrote:

> DB hasn't activity now because it is a new instance, top command
> indicates only 350MB of used memory .. I understand that
> postgresql could reach until 2GB of server memory as total,
> correct?

It's usually much better to copy/paste what you're talking about
than to just refer to it.  On the varieties of Linux I use, if
you're talking about the virtual memory, the full size should be
included there for every postgres backend process which has
connected to it, while only the portion which has been accessed by
each backend will be included in its shared or resident memory.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: [GENERAL] Postgresql not getting assigned memory

От
Jeff Janes
Дата:
On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 4:51 AM, Oliver <ofabelo@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm new in postgresql, I'm sorry if I do something bad.
> Default value or shared_buffers is 128MB, I have a dedicated server for
> postgresql with 8GB RAM. I've changed shared_buffers value to 2048MB and
> uncommented the entry in postgresql.conf. It shows now:
>
> # - Memory -
>
> shared_buffers = 2048MB                 # min 128kB
>
> When I restart instance or even server, pgstartup.log indicates:
>
> seleccionando el valor para shared_buffers ... 128MB (I'm sorry, I'm spanish
> and server is configured in spanish). But it shows something as: selecting
> shared_buffers value ... 128MB.
> What I do bad? Thanks beforehand.

That message comes from initdb.  initdb should not be run when you
restart the database or the server, but only when you create a new
database cluster.  Perhaps you are looking at an old log file, not a
new one.  Or perhaps you have accidentally created more than one
database cluster on your server (i.e. more than one data directory).

The file "pgstartup.log" is not something that PostgreSQL itself
creates.  It may be part of the PostgreSQL start-up scripts
distributed by the packager.  What repository did you use to install
PostgreSQL?

Cheers,

Jeff

Re: [GENERAL] Postgresql not getting assigned memory

От
Oliver
Дата:
Hi,
thanks for replying.
Yes, I've seen that information in that file was introduced by initdb initially. When I restart the server/PGSQL it appends/adds information to that file, wihout modifying information that was introduced initially by initdb .. so I'm sure that initdb was executed only once.
I'm using official repository of PGSQL for Red Hat 6.5 (http://yum.postgresql.org/9.3/redhat/rhel-6.5-x86_64/), I've followed official steps indicated here: http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/
For finishing this thread then, I will think that all is ok, "show shared_buffers" query shows 2GB in psql, and system has little memory used due to inactivity of database and it will go reaching more when database has connections.
Thanks for all.

Cheers...