Обсуждение: Timezone from PG8 to PG9

Timezone from PG8 to PG9

От
Deron
Дата:
Hello we were upgrading a test system from PG8.3.6 to PG 9.3 and it appears as though the timezone is not set on the new PG9.3.   I should say that we never did set the timezone for PG8, but somehow the PG server knew the 'localtime' of the system:

show timezone;
  TimeZone
------------
 US/Eastern
(1 row)

However, after upgrading to PG9:
show timezone;
 TimeZone
----------
 GMT
(1 row)

We saw the same for US/Pacific zone as well.

We do set /etc/localtime for the local timezone of the box.  We can configure this in the postgresql.conf file.   It does appear as though PG9 server reads /etc/localtime on startup, but it is not set.   Just wondering if it was working previously, because of some side effect, or if this has changed some other way.  I believe the environment did not change between PG8 and PG9 at least as far as I can determine.

The Server is CentOS 6.

Deron

Re: Timezone from PG8 to PG9

Дата:
Deron <fecastle@gmail.com> writes:
> Hello we were upgrading a test system from PG8.3.6 to PG 9.3 and it appears
> as though the timezone is not set on the new PG9.3.   I should say that we
> never did set the timezone for PG8, but somehow the PG server knew the
> 'localtime' of the system:

> show timezone;
>   TimeZone
> ------------
>  US/Eastern
> (1 row)

> However, after upgrading to PG9:
> show timezone;
>  TimeZone
> ----------
>  GMT
> (1 row)

> We saw the same for US/Pacific zone as well.

> We do set /etc/localtime for the local timezone of the box.  We can
> configure this in the postgresql.conf file.   It does appear as though PG9
> server reads /etc/localtime on startup, but it is not set.

IIRC, we moved the determination of the default timezone into initdb
somewhere along the line; so what matters now is the system environment
initdb saw, not what the server sees on start.  If you don't like what
you're getting, change it in postgresql.conf.

            regards, tom lane