Обсуждение: Does postgres user on linux need login permission?

Does postgres user on linux need login permission?

От
prakhar jauhari
Дата:
Hey,

I am using postgres9.2, on a linux 6.3 box.
For start i created a user postgres on linux with login permission and no password.

Is it necessary for the postgres user to have login permissions?

Can i change it to "no login" with out breaking basebackup and Streaming Replication from other machines.?

Re: Does postgres user on linux need login permission?

От
Albe Laurenz
Дата:
prakhar jauhari wrote:
> I am using postgres9.2, on a linux 6.3 box.
>
> For start i created a user postgres on linux with login permission and no password.
>

> Is it necessary for the postgres user to have login permissions?
>
> Can i change it to "no login" with out breaking basebackup and Streaming Replication from other
> machines.?

You need to be the PostgreSQL user when you create the database cluster
or start and stop the database server.

As long as you can become the user with "su", that should be ok.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Does postgres user on linux need login permission?

От
Gabriele Bartolini
Дата:
 On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 13:28:47 +0530, prakhar jauhari <prak840@gmail.com>
 wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I am using postgres9.2, on a linux 6.3 box.
> For start i created a user postgres on linux with login permission
> and no password.

 I usually advice to set it up as a system user (see the -r option for
 useradd) and access to it through the "root" user using sudo/su or
 public SSH key authentication. Just leave it as is, with no password.

 Cheers,
 Gabriele
--
  Gabriele Bartolini - 2ndQuadrant Italia