Обсуждение: top posting?

top posting?

От
Craig James
Дата:
Just out of curiousity, I see comments like this all the time:

> (*please* stop top-posting).

I've been participating in newsgroups since UUCP days, and I've never encountered a group before that encouraged bottom posting.  Bottom posting has traditionally been considered rude -- it forces readers to scroll, often through pages and pages of text, to see a few lines of original material.

The most efficient strategy, one that respects other members' time, is to briefly summarize your point at the TOP of a posting, then to *briefly* quote only the relevant parts of the post to which you are replying, and bottom-post after the quoted text.  That lets your reader quickly see if it's relevant or not, and move on to the next post.

Contributors in these newsgroups seem to think it's OK to quote five pages of someone else's response, then add one or two sentences at the bottom ... it's just laziness that forces readers to wade through the same stuff over and over in each thread.

How did the Postgres newsgroups get started with this "only bottom post" idea?

(I'm not trying to start a flame war, just genuinely curious.)

Craig

Re: top posting?

От
Szymon Guz

On 6 May 2013 20:15, Craig James <cjames@emolecules.com> wrote:
Just out of curiousity, I see comments like this all the time:

> (*please* stop top-posting).

I've been participating in newsgroups since UUCP days, and I've never encountered a group before that encouraged bottom posting.  Bottom posting has traditionally been considered rude -- it forces readers to scroll, often through pages and pages of text, to see a few lines of original material.

The most efficient strategy, one that respects other members' time, is to briefly summarize your point at the TOP of a posting, then to *briefly* quote only the relevant parts of the post to which you are replying, and bottom-post after the quoted text.  That lets your reader quickly see if it's relevant or not, and move on to the next post.

Contributors in these newsgroups seem to think it's OK to quote five pages of someone else's response, then add one or two sentences at the bottom ... it's just laziness that forces readers to wade through the same stuff over and over in each thread.

How did the Postgres newsgroups get started with this "only bottom post" idea?

(I'm not trying to start a flame war, just genuinely curious.)

Craig

Hi Craig,

That's strange. I've never met any newsgroup which would require top posting. Top posting has always been considered rude.

We are reading from top to bottom. That's why people should answer below cited text, so we can read it later normally. I mean that I should read first the part of email you answer to, and than below your answer.

regards
Szymon

Re: top posting?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Craig James wrote:

> Contributors in these newsgroups seem to think it's OK to quote five pages
> of someone else's response, then add one or two sentences at the bottom ...
> it's just laziness that forces readers to wade through the same stuff over
> and over in each thread.
>
> How did the Postgres newsgroups get started with this "only bottom post"
> idea?

I think the intended strategy is basically what you outlined above, with
inline responses interspersed with trimmed quotes.  I think we ended up
with bottom posting below gigantic quotes because of certain webmail
systems' idea (particularly Gmail) that "hiding" the quoted part within
a clickable ellipsis is a great invention.

Re: top posting?

От
"Gilberto Castillo"

> Just out of curiousity, I see comments like this all the time:
>
>> (*please* stop top-posting).
>
> I've been participating in newsgroups since UUCP days, and I've never
> encountered a group before that encouraged bottom posting.  Bottom posting
> has traditionally been considered rude -- it forces readers to scroll,
> often through pages and pages of text, to see a few lines of original
> material.
>
> The most efficient strategy, one that respects other members' time, is to
> briefly summarize your point at the TOP of a posting, then to *briefly*
> quote only the relevant parts of the post to which you are replying, and
> bottom-post after the quoted text.  That lets your reader quickly see if
> it's relevant or not, and move on to the next post.
>
> Contributors in these newsgroups seem to think it's OK to quote five pages
> of someone else's response, then add one or two sentences at the bottom
> it's just laziness that forces readers to wade through the same stuff over
> and over in each thread.
>
> How did the Postgres newsgroups get started with this "only bottom post"
> idea?
>
> (I'm not trying to start a flame war, just genuinely curious.)

Prefer a brief note of what this issue, to follow in him. And not I have
to go elsewhere to find out whether or not interest me the news, avoid to
nuisance.

Saludos,
Gilberto Castillo
La Habana, Cuba
---
This message was processed by Kaspersky Mail Gateway 5.6.28/RELEASE running at host imx3.etecsa.cu
Visit our web-site: <http://www.kaspersky.com>, <http://www.viruslist.com>

Re: top posting?

Дата:
Craig James <cjames@emolecules.com> writes:
> I've been participating in newsgroups since UUCP days, and I've never
> encountered a group before that encouraged bottom posting.  Bottom posting
> has traditionally been considered rude -- it forces readers to scroll,
> often through pages and pages of text, to see a few lines of original
> material.

Quoting entire messages is rude, IMO, no matter where you attach your
comments.  What is respectful of your readers' time is to quote just
enough to remind them what you're responding to.  And once you do that,
it's more natural to append your responses after what you're responding
to.

I'm aware that there are a whole lot of people nowadays who don't get
this element of email etiquette, or who use tools that make it hard
to do things that way (suggesting that the tool authors don't get it
either).  But that's what's been considered good style for about
three decades, in my book.

> The most efficient strategy, one that respects other members' time, is to
> briefly summarize your point at the TOP of a posting, then to *briefly*
> quote only the relevant parts of the post to which you are replying, and
> bottom-post after the quoted text.

I think we're on the same page, actually, except for the brief-summary
bit.  I'm not sure that a brief summary without context is really all
that efficient or intelligible.  It's probably a tenable approach if
there's only a few threads going on at a time, but how often is that a
good assumption?  I guess in an ideal world the Subject: line would
provide enough context ... but people aren't terribly good about picking
good subjects to start with, and they're positively bad about adjusting
the Subject: when the thread diverges into sub-topics.

            regards, tom lane

Re: top posting?

От
Jim Mercer
Дата:
On Mon, May 06, 2013 at 11:15:09AM -0700, Craig James wrote:
> Just out of curiousity, I see comments like this all the time:
>
> > (*please* stop top-posting).

top posting is just lazy.

bottom posting, equally so.

one should be replying in-line, with context, and removing extraneous content.

> The most efficient strategy, one that respects other members' time, is to
> briefly summarize your point at the TOP of a posting, then to *briefly*
> quote only the relevant parts of the post to which you are replying, and
> bottom-post after the quoted text.  That lets your reader quickly see if
> it's relevant or not, and move on to the next post.

summarizing your thoughts at the top of the post, and then leaving the
remainder intact, untouched, is just plain laziness, and shows your contempt
for the reader.

> Contributors in these newsgroups seem to think it's OK to quote five pages
> of someone else's response, then add one or two sentences at the bottom ...

i find that top posting is far more prevalent than bottom posting, but
both are just signs of laziness.

--jim

--
Jim Mercer     Reptilian Research      jim@reptiles.org    +1 416 410-5633
"He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead"

Re: top posting?

Дата:
On Mon, May  6, 2013 at 08:25:25PM +0200, Szymon Guz wrote:
> We are reading from top to bottom. That's why people should answer below cited
> text, so we can read it later normally. I mean that I should read first the
> part of email you answer to, and than below your answer.
>
> http://www.idallen.com/topposting.html

I think in-line commenting or trimming the text above to show just the
part you are responding to is the greatest benefit for bottom posting.
If you are _not_ doing that, there is probably little value to
bottom-posting.

Re: top posting?

От
Jim Mercer
Дата:
On Mon, May 06, 2013 at 08:25:25PM +0200, Szymon Guz wrote:
> That's strange. I've never met any newsgroup which would require top
> posting. Top posting has always been considered rude.
>
> We are reading from top to bottom. That's why people should answer below
> cited text, so we can read it later normally. I mean that I should read
> first the part of email you answer to, and than below your answer.

i find bottom posting to be moderately more annoying than top posting.

top posters are basically: i'm too lazy to spend any time editting, so i'll
just toss my comments at the top, because my time is more important than
anyone else's.

bottom posters are basically: i'm too lazy to remove irrelevant content,
but, just to be pedantic, i'll add my comments to the bottom.

personally, i'll read top posts, and be a bit irritated.

bottom posts, i'll generally skip because the author obviously doesn't value
their own words.

--jim

--
Jim Mercer     Reptilian Research      jim@reptiles.org    +1 416 410-5633
"He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead"

Re: top posting?

От
Craig James
Дата:
On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 11:25 AM, Szymon Guz <mabewlun@gmail.com> wrote:
On 6 May 2013 20:15, Craig James <cjames@emolecules.com> wrote:
Just out of curiousity, I see comments like this all the time:

> (*please* stop top-posting).

We are reading from top to bottom. That's why people should answer below cited text, so we can read it later normally. I mean that I should read first the part of email you answer to, and than below your answer.

Exactly.  That's why the very FIRST thing you read should be relevant instead of a bunch of quoted text that the poster was too lazy to edit.

My real gripe is with laziness, not bottom posting.  Anyone who can't spend a minute to edit quoted material to the relevant part is forcing thousands of readers to wade through irrelevant crap.  It's inconsiderate.

Claims that "top post " or "bottom post" is better miss the point.  The real issue has nothing to do with top- or bottom-posting.  It's about relevance, effective editing, and paraphrasing.

Notice that I manage to make my point here, and to quote only the relevant bits of your email, within the first twenty lines.  That means you can read it without scrolling, and decide whether to click "delete", or continue on to read this paragraph, which may be more wordy and reiterate points made in the first part.  You didn't have to wade through stuff that you'd already read before deciding that this long and wordy paragraph, which is mostly fluff and irrelevant reiteration of points already made, was of any interest to you.  You already got the important bits. ;-).  Now you can click "delete."

Craig

Re: top posting?

Дата:
On Mon, May  6, 2013 at 11:55:41AM -0700, Craig James wrote:
> My real gripe is with laziness, not bottom posting.  Anyone who can't spend a
> minute to edit quoted material to the relevant part is forcing thousands of
> readers to wade through irrelevant crap.  It's inconsiderate.

How about sentences containing $SUBJECT because the poster can't be
bothered to actually state their topic as part of the sentence?  I
usually ignore those too.  Oh, and people posting to multiple email
lists.

Re: top posting?

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
Szymon Guz, 06.05.2013 20:25:

> That's strange. I've never met any newsgroup which would require top
> posting. Top posting has always been considered rude.
>
> We are reading from top to bottom. That's why people should answer
> below cited text, so we can read it later normally. I mean that I
> should read first the part of email you answer to, and than below
> your answer.

With a newsreader that show threads instead of individual messages it's easier
to read a top-post answer because you don't need to scroll down. You just click
on the question, read it, click on the first answer, the answer is right there
at the top, click on the next and so on.

But I do understand that for someone who wants to understand a reply without reading
the previous post, bottom posting is more natural.

I personally don't really care, but what I really find annoying are bottom posters
that do not trim the quoted message - especially if the original message was quite long.

Re: top posting?

От
Jim Mercer
Дата:
On Mon, May 06, 2013 at 10:20:30PM +0200, Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> With a newsreader that show threads instead of individual messages it's easier
> to read a top-post answer because you don't need to scroll down.

it is important to note that people use a variety of tools to read
mailing lists, newsgroups, forums, RSS, etc.

spending a little time to clean up your message, making it terse, but not
cryptic, will go a long way to preventing people from thinking you are a
dumbass.

8^)

--jim

--
Jim Mercer     Reptilian Research      jim@reptiles.org    +1 416 410-5633
"He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead"

Re: top posting?

От
Craig James
Дата:
Regarding top posting versus bottom posting, pretty almost everyone who has commented agrees that top versus bottom posting isn't the problem.  It's laziness about editing, perhaps exacerbated by certain email systems that encourage that laziness.

So how about this: instead of demanding "PLEASE DON'T TOP POST," why not suggest, "PLEASE EDIT FOR BREVITY (and keep your comments in context by bottom posting)."

It really would improve these Postgres conversations.

Cheers,
Craig

(... and this illustrates the art of paraphrasing.  In many instances, a quick paraphrase summarizing the issue is far better than quoting.)

Re: top posting?

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 2:20 PM, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net> wrote:
> I personally don't really care, but what I really find annoying are bottom
> posters
> that do not trim the quoted message - especially if the original message was
> quite long.

Especially if there are dozens of untrimmed quotes above THAT.

My basic rules are:

1: If context isn't important I top post (i.e. if they've posted to 18
mailing lists, I will top post "Please stop spamming every list in the
known universe" at the top. Or stuff like "please post pg version,
postgresql.conf changes, and OS etc.")
2: If a long complex explanation is needed, and it's an answer to the
whole post, I bottom post.
3: If it's a big multi-part question / post, I'll answer inline for each bit.

Re: top posting?

От
Misa Simic

On Monday, May 6, 2013, Craig James wrote:
Just out of curiousity, I see comments like this all the time:

> (*please* stop top-posting).

I've been participating in newsgroups since UUCP days, and I've never encountered a group before that encouraged bottom posting.  Bottom posting has traditionally been considered rude -- it forces readers to scroll, often through pages and pages of text, to see a few lines of original material.

The most efficient strategy, one that respects other members' time, is to briefly summarize your point at the TOP of a posting, then to *briefly* quote only the relevant parts of the post to which you are replying, and bottom-post after the quoted text.  That lets your reader quickly see if it's relevant or not, and move on to the next post.

Contributors in these newsgroups seem to think it's OK to quote five pages of someone else's response, then add one or two sentences at the bottom ... it's just laziness that forces readers to wade through the same stuff over and over in each thread.

How did the Postgres newsgroups get started with this "only bottom post" idea?

(I'm not trying to start a flame war, just genuinely curious.)

Craig

Hi,

I was curious as well about this topic...

I am the one who also be asked (please stop top-posting). And I did - just to respect the rule in community...

But, IMO it is something totally irrelevant now-days... With today tools... I understand why such thing has been important 20-30 years ago (in previous century)

I use three different tools - on three different devices - and all sort messages by subject then by date... And I think all hide the old messages (on what is reply...) It is always up to reader - what will read and from where... Whatever is the rule top or bottom... I really don't see the difference in reading... In writing - ok, bottom post requires a bit more effort - but it is not that big deal if it makes someone else happy...

Cheers,

Misa

Re: top posting?

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 5:16 PM, Misa Simic <misa.simic@gmail.com> wrote:

> But, IMO it is something totally irrelevant now-days... With today tools...
> I understand why such thing has been important 20-30 years ago (in previous
> century)

You're assuming we all use the same tools. There are still people on
this who (probably) read their email with pine.

Re: top posting?

От
Julian
Дата:
On 07/05/13 04:15, Craig James wrote:
> Just out of curiousity, I see comments like this all the time:
>
>> (*please* stop top-posting).

So people can...

> I've been participating in newsgroups since UUCP days, and I've never
> encountered a group before that encouraged bottom posting.  Bottom
> posting has traditionally been considered rude -- it forces readers to
> scroll, often through pages and pages of text, to see a few lines of
> original material.

...dissect...

> The most efficient strategy, one that respects other members' time, is
> to briefly summarize your point at the TOP of a posting, then to
> *briefly* quote only the relevant parts of the post to which you are
> replying, and bottom-post after the quoted text.  That lets your reader
> quickly see if it's relevant or not, and move on to the next post.

...and comment...

> Contributors in these newsgroups seem to think it's OK to quote five
> pages of someone else's response, then add one or two sentences at the
> bottom ... it's just laziness that forces readers to wade through the
> same stuff over and over in each thread.

..where appropriate and...

> How did the Postgres newsgroups get started with this "only bottom post"
> idea?
---------------SNIP---------------

...*snip* where appropriate. I actually prefer it as it linear in
reference to time.

I top post for FWD.

Regards,
Jules.

Re: top posting?

От
Misa Simic

On Tuesday, May 7, 2013, Scott Marlowe wrote:
On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 5:16 PM, Misa Simic <misa.simic@gmail.com> wrote:

> But, IMO it is something totally irrelevant now-days... With today tools...
> I understand why such thing has been important 20-30 years ago (in previous
> century)

You're assuming we all use the same tools. There are still people on
this who (probably) read their email with pine.

I agree. But on the end I said "bottom posting requires a bit bigger effort to writer - but it is not that big deal if it makes anyone else happy...". So just to respect people "who (probably) read their email with pine." - I do bottom post. Who use todays tools - to them there is no difference in reading... Just measuring those two facts made bottom post winner to me...

It is funny - i have read many times in the (just) pg lists said to someone else "please don't top posting" (with link to article with explanations). I havent understood, but it was not related to topic so i made conclusion it is not relevant and i never clicked to read article about it...

Then i got private message...

When i have been asked to don't top posting, i wondered (and made research):
-what does it mean!? (Then read article about it)
(-i haven't understood article on first reading... Simply how i read messages in lists - doesnt match article story)
-how anyone noticed it !?
-then asked myself "how it is possible that just me breaks that strange rule"!? And started research - concluded: well known pg names - follow the rule - 70% not that well known names (to me) - no - so I was happy I am not the only one :)
-then asked for tools
-then tried the one - and realised problems...(and understood article in that moment)

Re: top posting?

От
Uwe Schroeder
Дата:
On Mon, 05/06/2013 05:51:00 PM Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 5:16 PM, Misa Simic <misa.simic@gmail.com> wrote:
> > But, IMO it is something totally irrelevant now-days... With today
> > tools...
> > I understand why such thing has been important 20-30 years ago (in
> > previous
> > century)
>
> You're assuming we all use the same tools. There are still people on
> this who (probably) read their email with pine.

I understand that there's purists out there, but seriously, pine? I stopped
using that when I had the first SPARC2 sitting on my desk and I can't even
remember when that was (1991?). Never liked pine, always used emacs (and still
do, just not for reading mail :-) )

Personally I prefer top posts for short responses to a simple issue and in-
between posts for everything more complex.

Sadly we live in a time where California already abandoned grammar and
handwriting in school and a lot of people don't have the attention span to
follow or comprehend anything beyond 128 characters. I guess in the near
future I'll be happy to read a whole sentence or - gasp - an entire paragraph;
no matter where it's posted.

So for me, either way is fine. I'll just post where others on the list want it.
It's often easier to simply follow the community in these minor issues. Nobody
wants grumpy people and if bottom posting makes them happy and I get a
qualified answer to one of my problems, then bottom posting it is :-)

Keep in mind: the advise here is free, so humor those who give it freely...

Re: top posting?

От
Szymon Guz
Дата:
On 7 May 2013 03:54, Uwe Schroeder <uwe@oss4u.com> wrote:
On Mon, 05/06/2013 05:51:00 PM Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 5:16 PM, Misa Simic <misa.simic@gmail.com> wrote:
> > But, IMO it is something totally irrelevant now-days... With today
> > tools...
> > I understand why such thing has been important 20-30 years ago (in
> > previous
> > century)
>
> You're assuming we all use the same tools. There are still people on
> this who (probably) read their email with pine.

I understand that there's purists out there, but seriously, pine? I stopped
using that when I had the first SPARC2 sitting on my desk and I can't even
remember when that was (1991?). Never liked pine, always used emacs (and still
do, just not for reading mail :-) )

Personally I prefer top posts for short responses to a simple issue and in-
between posts for everything more complex.

And then, when some people will top post, som bottom post and some will answer inside the original email lines, then there will be a totall mess and most people will have problems to find out how the discussion flow looks like.

- Szymon

Re: top posting?

От
robin
Дата:
Hi,

Personally I prefer top posts for short responses to a simple issue and in-
between posts for everything more complex.

And then, when some people will top post, som bottom post and some will answer inside the original email lines, then there will be a totall mess and most people will have problems to find out how the discussion flow looks like.

You're both right - so can we put this to bed now?

It is impossible to have a single style that will suit all and will make it easy to read all possible discussions in the same way.

I am pretty sure that whatever reader they use, everyone can cope with messages that are as short as reasonably possible and contain just relevant text, whether new or quoted - and there seems to be a consensus that this is what is important, not whether your comments are at the top or bottom.

Thanks,
Robin

Re: top posting?

От
Eduardo Morras
Дата:
I don't agree.
Yes.
Perhaps.

Now, it's your work to know to what part of your original mail I'm answering.

But, when you reply, the parts not relevant in the conversation should be erased.

On Mon, 6 May 2013 11:15:09 -0700
Craig James <cjames@emolecules.com> wrote:

> Just out of curiousity, I see comments like this all the time:
>
> > (*please* stop top-posting).
>
> I've been participating in newsgroups since UUCP days, and I've never
> encountered a group before that encouraged bottom posting.  Bottom posting
> has traditionally been considered rude -- it forces readers to scroll,
> often through pages and pages of text, to see a few lines of original
> material.
>
> The most efficient strategy, one that respects other members' time, is to
> briefly summarize your point at the TOP of a posting, then to *briefly*
> quote only the relevant parts of the post to which you are replying, and
> bottom-post after the quoted text.  That lets your reader quickly see if
> it's relevant or not, and move on to the next post.
>
> Contributors in these newsgroups seem to think it's OK to quote five pages
> of someone else's response, then add one or two sentences at the bottom ...
> it's just laziness that forces readers to wade through the same stuff over
> and over in each thread.
>
> How did the Postgres newsgroups get started with this "only bottom post"
> idea?
>
> (I'm not trying to start a flame war, just genuinely curious.)
>
> Craig

---   ---
Eduardo Morras <emorrasg@yahoo.es>

Re: top posting?

От
Stephen Cook
Дата:
On 5/6/2013 2:15 PM, Craig James wrote:
> Just out of curiousity, I see comments like this all the time:
>
> > (*please* stop top-posting).
>
> I've been participating in newsgroups since UUCP days, and I've never
> encountered a group before that encouraged bottom posting. Bottom
> posting has traditionally been considered rude -- it forces readers to
> scroll, often through pages and pages of text, to see a few lines of
> original material.
>
> The most efficient strategy, one that respects other members' time, is
> to briefly summarize your point at the TOP of a posting, then to
> *briefly* quote only the relevant parts of the post to which you are
> replying, and bottom-post after the quoted text. That lets your reader
> quickly see if it's relevant or not, and move on to the next post.
>
> Contributors in these newsgroups seem to think it's OK to quote five
> pages of someone else's response, then add one or two sentences at the
> bottom ... it's just laziness that forces readers to wade through the
> same stuff over and over in each thread.
>
> How did the Postgres newsgroups get started with this "only bottom
> post" idea?
>
> (I'm not trying to start a flame war, just genuinely curious.)
>
> Craig

I always feel good when I see this post, it means I've been following a
mailing list for a (relatively) long time...

It doesn't matter to me at all, I just go with whatever is generally
accepted by the mailing list (or perhaps, whatever is generally accepted
by the most vocal part of the mailing list). Although, I only ever
really did the whole "inline snippets" thing when I'm tearing someone up
in a flame war. Most other replies don't require the precision-quoting.

Currently I'm using Thunderbird, a web page, or various mobile apps to
check my email, and all of them mark the quoted part well enough that I
can skip it and see what is new, or read it knowing full well it is a
quote. Haven't done text-only email for ages, but even back then I
believe there were markings in the margin for what was a quote and what
was new content.

-- Stephen

Re: top posting?

От