Обсуждение: Question about access to db server

Question about access to db server

От
"T.T Le"
Дата:
Hello,

We are running PostgresPlus 8.4AS on a linux system. I don't need to edit the config files or to restart the clusters (the DBA will do that for us). I only need access to help troubleshoot performance issues with the databases.
My question is: would pgAdmin be sufficient for what i need to do? From what I understand, i can check the status of the database, view the postgresql logs, the postgresql.conf and pg_hba.conf.

I appreciate your input for my question.

TIA.

Re: Question about access to db server

От
Walter Hurry
Дата:
On Sat, 08 Dec 2012 18:01:06 +0000, T.T Le wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are running PostgresPlus 8.4AS on a linux system. I don't need to
> edit the config files or to restart the clusters (the DBA will do that
> for us).
> I only need access to help troubleshoot performance issues with the
> databases.
> My question is: would pgAdmin be sufficient for what i need to do? From
> what I understand, i can check the status of the database, view the
> postgresql logs, the postgresql.conf and pg_hba.conf.

The DBA should do that job.

Re: Question about access to db server

От
Cliff Pratt
Дата:
On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 7:01 AM, T.T Le <lotus.signals@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are running PostgresPlus 8.4AS on a linux system. I don't need to edit
> the config files or to restart the clusters (the DBA will do that for us). I
> only need access to help troubleshoot performance issues with the databases.
> My question is: would pgAdmin be sufficient for what i need to do? From what
> I understand, i can check the status of the database, view the postgresql
> logs, the postgresql.conf and pg_hba.conf.
>
> I appreciate your input for my question.
>
> TIA.
 I didn't know what PostgresPlus was so I looked it up. Firstly it has
tools for tuning PostgreSQL and secondly, it is a tools package for
the Enterprise version of PostgreSQL, so presumably you can get the
support that you presumably paid for.

Cheers,

Cliff

Re: Question about access to db server

От
Mark Mayo
Дата:
Good Evening,

Before tuning the hardware settings I usually execute an EXPLAIN to see the execution path Postgres uses.  A good start to understanding the EXPLAIN functionality is here http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Using_EXPLAIN .  Since you're using pgAdmin this is a better tutorial http://www.postgresonline.com/journal/index.php?/archives/27-Reading-PgAdmin-Graphical-Explain-Plans.html .  Sometimes using an join instead of a subselect or indexing greatly improves a query even before trying to optimize the default postgres settings.

Thanks
-Mark