Обсуждение: Auto Vacuum

Auto Vacuum

От
teyking2003
Дата:
Can anyone provide me a sample of auto vacuum and also step by step to
configure it inside my linux ubuntu server?

thanks

Re: Auto Vacuum

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 2:13 AM, teyking2003 <tchongking@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Can anyone provide me a sample of auto vacuum and also step by step to
> configure it inside my linux ubuntu server?

Here's the basic instructions on autovacuum for pgsql 8.2.  Note that
since it's out of support, if you run into any bugs or problems with
it you're likely to be told to upgrade.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/runtime-config-autovacuum.html

As long as it's on (first setting on that page) the default values are
fine for most low to medium level usage patterns.  If you are doing
enough work that you need to tune autovacuum, then you DEFINITELY need
to upgrade to a more recent version of pgsql than 8.2.

The biggest issue with 8.2 is that autovacuum is not multi-threaded.
One long running vacuum thread can allow multiple tables to get
bloated in a busy server.  Also some bugs in vacuum have been fixed
since 8.2 was end of lifed, so you may run into them as well.

Re: Auto Vacuum

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 2:13 AM, teyking2003 <tchongking@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Can anyone provide me a sample of auto vacuum and also step by step to
>> configure it inside my linux ubuntu server?
>
> Here's the basic instructions on autovacuum for pgsql 8.2.  Note that
> since it's out of support, if you run into any bugs or problems with
> it you're likely to be told to upgrade.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/runtime-config-autovacuum.html
>
> As long as it's on (first setting on that page) the default values are
> fine for most low to medium level usage patterns.  If you are doing
> enough work that you need to tune autovacuum, then you DEFINITELY need
> to upgrade to a more recent version of pgsql than 8.2.
>
> The biggest issue with 8.2 is that autovacuum is not multi-threaded.
> One long running vacuum thread can allow multiple tables to get
> bloated in a busy server.  Also some bugs in vacuum have been fixed
> since 8.2 was end of lifed, so you may run into them as well.

As a followup, you can use this page:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Show_database_bloat

and the referenced check_postgresql script:

http://bucardo.org/wiki/Check_postgres

To keep track of how much bloat is in your db. I highly recommend
check_postgresql.

Re: Auto Vacuum

От
teyking2003
Дата:
i am not sure autovacuum is running in the system or not? any command to
check it out? i have about 1.3GB database in our server. please advice do we
still need this autovacuum or we can keep for our daily manual vacuum?

Re: Auto Vacuum

От
teyking2003
Дата:
hi can anyone reply me on my database status base on the vacuum verbose
provided?