Обсуждение: Pg 8.3.x on RHEL 6.3?

Pg 8.3.x on RHEL 6.3?

От
Rosser Schwarz
Дата:
Fellow Pg Admins,

At $work, we're preparing to move one of our Pg instances to new
hardware, and considering an OS upgrade at the same time.  The
instance in question is running an older version of 8.3, which we'd
like to upgrade to 8.3.latest (presently .21; unf., we don't have the
time or testing resources to migrate to a more recent major release of
postgres as well).

In preparation for that effort, I've been asked to avail myself of the
collective experience and wisdom of the wider community to see if
anyone has seen anything unexpected, or any kind of misbehavior in
running 8.3 on RHEL 6.3.  None of my research suggests we should have
any problems, but for sake of due diligence and checking the box, I'm
soliciting any input anyone with experience with this configuration
might be able to offer.  We aren't doing anything that would subject
us to the referential_constraints issue, fixed in 8.3.17.

Can we expect to see any benefit from the llseek kernel changes with
8.3, or is the upside of that more limited to people also running 9.2?

Thanks.

rls

--
:wq

Re: Pg 8.3.x on RHEL 6.3?

От
Walter Hurry
Дата:
On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 14:15:15 -0700, Rosser Schwarz wrote:

> Fellow Pg Admins,
>
> At $work, we're preparing to move one of our Pg instances to new
> hardware, and considering an OS upgrade at the same time.  The instance
> in question is running an older version of 8.3, which we'd like to
> upgrade to 8.3.latest (presently .21; unf., we don't have the time or
> testing resources to migrate to a more recent major release of postgres
> as well).
>
> In preparation for that effort, I've been asked to avail myself of the
> collective experience and wisdom of the wider community to see if anyone
> has seen anything unexpected, or any kind of misbehavior in running 8.3
> on RHEL 6.3.  None of my research suggests we should have any problems,
> but for sake of due diligence and checking the box, I'm soliciting any
> input anyone with experience with this configuration might be able to
> offer.  We aren't doing anything that would subject us to the
> referential_constraints issue, fixed in 8.3.17.
>
> Can we expect to see any benefit from the llseek kernel changes with
> 8.3, or is the upside of that more limited to people also running 9.2?

OK, I'll do your work for you. $200/hr.

Re: Pg 8.3.x on RHEL 6.3?

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
On 10/11/2012 07:12 AM, Walter Hurry wrote:
> OK, I'll do your work for you. $200/hr.

This was a polite and reasonable question, there is no need to be rude.

--
Craig Ringer

Re: Pg 8.3.x on RHEL 6.3?

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:
On 10/11/2012 05:15 AM, Rosser Schwarz wrote:
> In preparation for that effort, I've been asked to avail myself of the
> collective experience and wisdom of the wider community to see if
> anyone has seen anything unexpected, or any kind of misbehavior in
> running 8.3 on RHEL 6.3.

I've not noticed any reports of issues specific to RHEL 6 on any version
of Pg here, and would be surprised if any issues were to occur.

Consider retaining your old server for a little while, running as a warm
standby with log shipping. In the exceedingly unlikely case that you do
run into issues you can fail back to the old server.

Migrating from 8.3 to 9.1 or 9.2 isn't a big hurdle, since you're
already past the implicit-casts-from-text stuff. About the only thing
really likely to bite you is the bytea_output change to hex, and that's
a trivial postgresql.conf change if you want to preserve the old
behaviour while fixing code.

I can understand not wanting to undertake it at the same time as a
hardware change, but you should probably schedule it for sooner rather
than later and start testing on the new version once you're on the
updated OS & HW.

--
Craig Ringer

Re: Pg 8.3.x on RHEL 6.3?

Дата:
On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 01:05:12PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 10/11/2012 05:15 AM, Rosser Schwarz wrote:
> >In preparation for that effort, I've been asked to avail myself of the
> >collective experience and wisdom of the wider community to see if
> >anyone has seen anything unexpected, or any kind of misbehavior in
> >running 8.3 on RHEL 6.3.
>
> I've not noticed any reports of issues specific to RHEL 6 on any
> version of Pg here, and would be surprised if any issues were to
> occur.
>
> Consider retaining your old server for a little while, running as a
> warm standby with log shipping. In the exceedingly unlikely case
> that you do run into issues you can fail back to the old server.
>
> Migrating from 8.3 to 9.1 or 9.2 isn't a big hurdle, since you're
> already past the implicit-casts-from-text stuff. About the only
> thing really likely to bite you is the bytea_output change to hex,
> and that's a trivial postgresql.conf change if you want to preserve
> the old behaviour while fixing code.
>
> I can understand not wanting to undertake it at the same time as a
> hardware change, but you should probably schedule it for sooner
> rather than later and start testing on the new version once you're
> on the updated OS & HW.

Also, we expect all users to perform all minor upgrades.  All fixes are
not listed in the release notes, and we don't expect anyone to re-test
after a minor upgrade, considering the criteria we use in adding
anything to a minor release;  see this:

    http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/