Обсуждение: WAL and Checkpoints documentation

WAL and Checkpoints documentation

От
jtkells@verizon.net
Дата:
I have been reading the POSTGRESQL System Admin Documentation 8.4
(several times) on WAL and Checkpoints along with their respected
option switches.  I can say that I have a general understanding of
what is going on but get confused with the details and use of the
option switches.  Does anyone know of any good
presentations/whitepapers that spell out WAL and check-pointing
functionality other than the ADMIN guide?
Thanking you in advance

Re: WAL and Checkpoints documentation

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
<jtkells@verizon.net> wrote:

> Does anyone know of any good presentations/whitepapers that spell
> out WAL and check-pointing functionality other than the ADMIN
> guide?

I don't know of a better write-up than what's in chapters 5 and 6 of
Greg Smith's "High Performance" book[1]:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/books/

-Kevin

[1] Full disclosure: I was one of the reviewers for this book, but
have no financial stake in its sales.

Re: WAL and Checkpoints documentation

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
jtkells@verizon.net wrote:
> Does anyone know of any good presentations/whitepapers that spell out WAL and check-pointing
> functionality other than the ADMIN guide

http://www.westnet.com/~gsmith/content/postgresql/chkp-bgw-83.htm is the
main free reference that tries to step outside of the documentation into
real-world tuning advice.  There are a few of my talks at
http://projects.2ndquadrant.it/talks that mention material around this
area too; "Inside the PostgreSQL Buffer Cache" and "The Write Stuff"
both overlap with checkpoint issues quite a bit.  Beyond that, my book
is the main extended commentary discussing this area available.