Обсуждение: cp1250 problem

cp1250 problem

От
Lukasz Brodziak
Дата:
Hello,

How can I set PostgreSQL locale and encoding to be pl_PL.cp1250 all I
can do is pl_PL.UTF-8.
I have PG 8.2.4 on Ubuntu 10.04 (polish version).

--
Łukasz Brodziak
"What if everyting around You isn't quite as it seems,

Re: cp1250 problem

От
Achilleas Mantzios
Дата:
Στις Tuesday 15 February 2011 12:44:31 ο/η Lukasz Brodziak έγραψε:
> Hello,
>
> How can I set PostgreSQL locale and encoding to be pl_PL.cp1250 all I
> can do is pl_PL.UTF-8.
> I have PG 8.2.4 on Ubuntu 10.04 (polish version).

I had similar issues with the Greek ISO locale/encoding and the UTF one.
If i had known earlier i would have implemented UTF since day one.
UTF-8 support is pretty mature, so i dont see any reason for people to
hold back to ISO encodings (in year 2011!)

The locale for your whole cluster is defined in postgresql.conf.
(and i believe the value is inherited by the ENV variables at initdb time)
Now each database has its *own* encoding.
psql -l
lists who has what.

> --
> Łukasz Brodziak
> "What if everyting around You isn't quite as it seems,
> What if all the world You think You know is an inelaborate dream
> When You look at Your reflection is that all you want it to be
> What if You could look right through the cracks
> Would You find Yourself...... Find Yourself afraid to see"

--
Achilleas Mantzios

Re: cp1250 problem

От
Jan-Peter Seifert
Дата:
Hello,

Am 15.02.2011 12:26, schrieb Achilleas Mantzios:
> Στις Tuesday 15 February 2011 12:44:31 ο/η Lukasz Brodziak έγραψε:
>> Hello,
>>
>> How can I set PostgreSQL locale and encoding to be pl_PL.cp1250 all I
>> can do is pl_PL.UTF-8.
>> I have PG 8.2.4 on Ubuntu 10.04 (polish version).

There are no code pages in Ubuntu. The nearest what you can get seems to
be encoding LATIN2 ( and a compatible locale ). These charsets are NOT
identical though.

> The locale for your whole cluster is defined in postgresql.conf.

Not really - LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE are set during initialization of
the cluster by initdb. You can verify the settings with pg_controldata:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/app-pgcontroldata.html

As of PostgreSQL v8.4 you can specify these two locale settings
different from the server's settings (for each database).
If you plan to upgrade your PostgreSQL major server version beware of
the removal of some implicit data type casts among other changes as of 8.3.

Peter

Re: cp1250 problem

От
Achilleas Mantzios
Дата:
Στις Wednesday 16 February 2011 00:00:10 ο/η Jan-Peter Seifert έγραψε:
> Hello,
>
> Am 15.02.2011 12:26, schrieb Achilleas Mantzios:
> > Στις Tuesday 15 February 2011 12:44:31 ο/η Lukasz Brodziak έγραψε:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> How can I set PostgreSQL locale and encoding to be pl_PL.cp1250 all I
> >> can do is pl_PL.UTF-8.
> >> I have PG 8.2.4 on Ubuntu 10.04 (polish version).
>
> There are no code pages in Ubuntu. The nearest what you can get seems to
> be encoding LATIN2 ( and a compatible locale ). These charsets are NOT
> identical though.
>
> > The locale for your whole cluster is defined in postgresql.conf.
>
> Not really - LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE are set during initialization of
> the cluster by initdb. You can verify the settings with pg_controldata:

That's true. Thanx.

--
Achilleas Mantzios