Обсуждение: asm/ia64regs.h not found on FreeBSD 8.1 IA64

asm/ia64regs.h not found on FreeBSD 8.1 IA64

От
"Frank Brendel"
Дата:
Hi list,

I can't compile PostgreSQL 9.0.2 on FreeBSD 8.1 for IA64.

The error message is

    postgres.c:2998:26: error: asm/ia64regs.h: No such file or directory

There is no ia64regs.h in the file system. I guess this is a Linux
header file.

Do I have to install some additional ports?

Many thanks
Frank

Re: asm/ia64regs.h not found on FreeBSD 8.1 IA64

Дата:
"Frank Brendel" <Frank.Brendel@eurolog.com> writes:
> I can't compile PostgreSQL 9.0.2 on FreeBSD 8.1 for IA64.
> The error message is
>     postgres.c:2998:26: error: asm/ia64regs.h: No such file or directory

Hmm, the need for that header file is a very recent addition.  I'm not
very surprised to hear of portability issues around it.  What you need
to look into is what's needed to compile this patch:
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=ba007262a7661234588b1ebe297e3a95924ba587

If you're using gcc it's quite possible you don't need the header file
at all --- try just diking it out.  Please report back.

            regards, tom lane

Re: asm/ia64regs.h not found on FreeBSD 8.1 IA64

От
๏̯͡๏ Guido Barosio
Дата:
FYI the url returned 404

"404 - No such project "

gb.-

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> "Frank Brendel" <Frank.Brendel@eurolog.com> writes:
>> I can't compile PostgreSQL 9.0.2 on FreeBSD 8.1 for IA64.
>> The error message is
>>     postgres.c:2998:26: error: asm/ia64regs.h: No such file or directory
>
> Hmm, the need for that header file is a very recent addition.  I'm not
> very surprised to hear of portability issues around it.  What you need
> to look into is what's needed to compile this patch:
> http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=ba007262a7661234588b1ebe297e3a95924ba587
>
> If you're using gcc it's quite possible you don't need the header file
> at all --- try just diking it out.  Please report back.

Re: asm/ia64regs.h not found on FreeBSD 8.1 IA64

Дата:
=?UTF-8?B?4LmPzK/NoeC5jyBHdWlkbyBCYXJvc2lv?= <gbarosio@gmail.com> writes:
> FYI the url returned 404
> "404 - No such project "

Really?  Works for me.

            regards, tom lane

Re: asm/ia64regs.h not found on FreeBSD 8.1 IA64

От
๏̯͡๏ Guido Barosio
Дата:
This one works fine:

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> =?UTF-8?B?4LmPzK/NoeC5jyBHdWlkbyBCYXJvc2lv?= <gbarosio@gmail.com> writes:
>> FYI the url returned 404
>> "404 - No such project "
>
> Really?  Works for me.
>
>                        regards, tom lane

Re: asm/ia64regs.h not found on FreeBSD 8.1 IA64

От
"Frank Brendel"
Дата:
Hi Tom,

thanks for this really fast reply.

I've removed the line

#include <asm/ia64regs.h>

and it compiles now.

The function __getReg(_IA64_REG_AR_BSP) In postgres.c seems to be called
only on Intel compilers.

And I see in asm/ia64regs.h (found on a Linux box)

#define _IA64_REG_AR_BSP        3089

in a section

/*
  * Register Names for getreg() and setreg().
  *
  * The "magic" numbers happen to match the values used by the Intel
compiler's
  * getreg()/setreg() intrinsics.
  */

So I assume asm/ia64regs.h is only needed for Intel compilers on Linux.

Since this is not the default behavior are there any concerns to install
this version into production?
I'm thinking of stability or future updates.

Many thanks
Frank

Am 27.01.2011 18:25, schrieb Tom Lane:
> "Frank Brendel"<Frank.Brendel@eurolog.com>  writes:
>> I can't compile PostgreSQL 9.0.2 on FreeBSD 8.1 for IA64.
>> The error message is
>>      postgres.c:2998:26: error: asm/ia64regs.h: No such file or directory
> Hmm, the need for that header file is a very recent addition.  I'm not
> very surprised to hear of portability issues around it.  What you need
> to look into is what's needed to compile this patch:
> http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=ba007262a7661234588b1ebe297e3a95924ba587
>
> If you're using gcc it's quite possible you don't need the header file
> at all --- try just diking it out.  Please report back.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: asm/ia64regs.h not found on FreeBSD 8.1 IA64

Дата:
"Frank Brendel" <Frank.Brendel@eurolog.com> writes:
> I've removed the line
> #include <asm/ia64regs.h>
> and it compiles now.

OK, thanks for confirming that.

> Since this is not the default behavior are there any concerns to install
> this version into production?

No, it will be the default behavior come Monday ;-)
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=67dbe720f6ba18393cd85574718aa2683b77a212

            regards, tom lane

Re: asm/ia64regs.h not found on FreeBSD 8.1 IA64

От
"Frank Brendel"
Дата:
Cool!