Обсуждение: pgadmin3: can't locate server: what am I doing wrong?

pgadmin3: can't locate server: what am I doing wrong?

От
"Fred Parkinson"
Дата:
I am a longtime user of postgersql, using it as a backend and using odbc to connect and it has been an amazingly stable and useful database manager.

Now, a longtime Windows user (disgruntled) I am trying to set up a development platform on a local Suse Linux box which includes a local install of postgresql.
Last week I successfully installed postgersql and created a database, but today pgadmin3 doesn't seem to find it!
Using the unix ps command I see there are postgre processes running, so the server is up.

Logged in as user postgre and invoking pgadmin3, 'Server Groups' is empty.
logged in as user root and 'server groups' is empty.
logged in as fredrated and the server is there.

Can someone explain what this means?  Why is the server only visible to this user?

Thanks, Fred

Re: pgadmin3: can't locate server: what am I doing wrong?

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 13/12/2010 17:20, Fred Parkinson a écrit :
> I am a longtime user of postgersql, using it as a backend and using odbc to connect and it has been an amazingly
stableand useful database manager.

> Now, a longtime Windows user (disgruntled) I am trying to set up a development platform on a local Suse Linux box
whichincludes a local install of postgresql.
> Last week I successfully installed postgersql and created a database, but today pgadmin3 doesn't seem to find it!
> Using the unix ps command I see there are postgre processes running, so the server is up.
>
> Logged in as user postgre and invoking pgadmin3, 'Server Groups' is empty.
> logged in as user root and 'server groups' is empty.
> logged in as fredrated and the server is there.
>
> Can someone explain what this means?  Why is the server only visible to this user?

Because only this user has configured access to this server. pgAdmin can
sometimes auto-detect local servers, but you shouldn't rely on this.
Usually, you should add them yourself to pgAdmin (first button on the
toolbar).

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: pgadmin3: can't locate server: what am I doing wrong?

От
"Fred Parkinson"
Дата:
Thank you for your quick and accurate reply.
I logged in as root, picked the 'add a connection...' option you suggested and voila!  The server is now visible to pgadmin3/root user.

Thanks again, Fred