Обсуждение: Firebird To postgresql migration help needed

Firebird To postgresql migration help needed

От
mnavahan
Дата:
I try to move from firebird to postgresql But it seems some option to do hold
..

1. In grant section in some reason user ROLE R1 can Access to function F1
and F1 can access to Table T1 bUT user must not be granted to work directly
to table T1

   In firebird ,I can invoke grant to object
       GRANT SELECT, INSERT ON T1 TO PROCEDURE F1;

Can I do the same with postgresql or other ways to do this job ?

2. In new firebird 2.1.3, I have some "DATABASE TRIGGER" for user to connect
& disconnect or start  & finish database or transaction .  Do we have same
trigger or any ways in PG to do the same ?

3.I work with pgadmin3 and it is very nice and free ... also I have checked
many other commercial experts such as novicat, pgmanager,maestro....     BUT
I did not find any editor as POWERFUL as IBEXPERT for firebird.
Is there any Powerful editor as powerful as IBEXPERT in PG ?

Re: Firebird To postgresql migration help needed

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 9:39 AM, mnavahan <mnavahan@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I try to move from firebird to postgresql But it seems some option to do hold
> ..
>

> 1. In grant section in some reason user ROLE R1 can Access to function F1
> and F1 can access to Table T1 bUT user must not be granted to work directly
> to table T1
>
>   In firebird ,I can invoke grant to object
>       GRANT SELECT, INSERT ON T1 TO PROCEDURE F1;
>
> Can I do the same with postgresql or other ways to do this job ?

I think so.  Look up "SECURITY DEFINER"

> 2. In new firebird 2.1.3, I have some "DATABASE TRIGGER" for user to connect
> & disconnect or start  & finish database or transaction .  Do we have same
> trigger or any ways in PG to do the same ?

Not that I know of.  You're talking connect / disconnect triggers right?

> 3.I work with pgadmin3 and it is very nice and free ... also I have checked
> many other commercial experts such as novicat, pgmanager,maestro....     BUT
> I did not find any editor as POWERFUL as IBEXPERT for firebird.
> Is there any Powerful editor as powerful as IBEXPERT in PG ?

I use nano or vi for most stuff.  Both can do color coding quite
nicely for .sql files.

Re: Firebird To postgresql migration help needed

От
mnavahan
Дата:
>>I think so.  Look up "SECURITY DEFINER"

seems goods .... i need try to it ...

>>Not that I know of.  You're talking connect / disconnect triggers right?
YES .... how do it ?

>>>I use nano or vi for most stuff.  Both can do color coding quite nicely
for .sql files.

i need powerful IDE for it with modernize options (extended editor) rich
good ....

Re: Firebird To postgresql migration help needed

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 10:38 AM, mnavahan <mnavahan@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>>I think so.  Look up "SECURITY DEFINER"
>
> seems goods .... i need try to it ...
>

>>>Not that I know of.  You're talking connect / disconnect triggers right?
> YES .... how do it ?

It's not really doable.  However, it's possible that what you're
trying to accomplish (big picture) is.  What is it that you're trying
to accomplish with connect / disconnect triggers?

> for .sql files.
>
> i need powerful IDE for it with modernize options (extended editor) rich
> good ....

Got me.  Maybe eclipse has a nice plugin?

Re: Firebird To postgresql migration help needed

От
Lew
Дата:

Scott Marlowe wrote:
> Got me.  Maybe eclipse has a nice plugin?

I find both Eclipse and NetBeans to be quite sufficient as SQL editors and
admin/edit/query front ends for any database system that has a JDBC driver.
They probably aren't quite as useful if you aren't using Java, although both
have C/C++ capability.  I'm not familiar with other IDEs.

No extra plugins were required with the current versions that I downloaded,
namely NetBeans 6.8 or 6.9beta or Eclipse Galileo SR2.

The IDEs have additional advantages besides managing databases and editing SQL
and program source code, such as providing quite convenient management
consoles for popular Java application servers such as Tomcat or various Java
EE products, and handling applications' build and deployment phases.

YMMV.  They might represent overkill for some folks.  I enjoy the convenience
of having everything under one roof.

--
Lew

Re: Firebird To postgresql migration help needed

От
Dimitri Fontaine
Дата:
I can't help it.

Lew <noone@lewscanon.com> writes:
> mnavahan wrote:
>>> i [sic] need powerful IDE for it with modernize options (extended editor) rich
>>> good ....
>
> Scott Marlowe wrote:
>> Got me.  Maybe eclipse has a nice plugin?
>
> YMMV.  They might represent overkill for some folks.  I enjoy the
> convenience of having everything under one roof.

For those reasons I use Emacs.
--
dim

Scott Marlowe-2 wrote:

>> seems goods .... i need try to it ...

>> YES .... how do it ?
>
> It's not really doable.  However, it's possible that what you're
> trying to accomplish (big picture) is.  What is it that you're trying
> to accomplish with connect / disconnect triggers?

yes really need it !
also need for transaction !

Re: Firebird To postgresql migration help needed

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 10:24 PM, mnavahan <mnavahan@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Scott Marlowe-2 wrote:

>>> seems goods .... i need try to it ...

>>> YES .... how do it ?
>>
>> It's not really doable.  However, it's possible that what you're
>> trying to accomplish (big picture) is.  What is it that you're trying
>> to accomplish with connect / disconnect triggers?
>>

> yes really need it !
> also need for transaction !

OK, but what do you need it to do, why are you doing it?  I can't
offer possible alternatives if I don't know why you're trying to do
it.  Do you want the user to have certain schemas in their search
path?  Set values for random_page_cost? Set logging to a certain
level?  All of those things can be done without a trigger.

Are you wanting to log access from a user?  More detail gets better answers.