Обсуждение: Trouble with postgres user's password on Windows

Trouble with postgres user's password on Windows

От
Oliveiros
Дата:
Dear List,

This is my first post, I hope I am asking it on the correct list.

I changed the password for user postgres and I completely forgot about the previous one.

The main problem is that now the postgres server fails to start when I turn on the machine.

It used to start automatically.

To start it, I have to login as postgres and manually start it with postgres -D etc.

Also, on PGAdmin ||| I cannot log in as administrator user , no longer. Even the new password doesn't seem to work...

Can anyone please kindly help me on this issue?

I'd really appreciate it

Thanks a million in advance,
Best,
Oliveiros

Re: Trouble with postgres user's password on Windows

От
Jan-Peter Seifert
Oliveiros wrote:

> To start it, I have to login as postgres and manually start it with
> postgres -D etc.

You should make a backup first (users and databases ...) .
Try unregistering/registering the service with pg_ctl.
First copy the pg_ctl command used during installation from the
service's properties. You get the service overview with executing the
command "services.msc".

> Also, on PGAdmin ||| I cannot log in as administrator user , no longer.
> Even the new password doesn't seem to work...

Did you save the password in the past? Check the pgpass file which is
usually located within the current windows user's Home directory:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/libpq-pgpass.html

Or change the auth-method in pg_hba.conf to trust and reset the password(s):
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/auth-pg-hba-conf.html

Don't forget to change the auth-option back.

Good luck,

Peter

Re: Trouble with postgres user's password on Windows

От
Oliveiros
Дата:
Thanks for the tips, Jan-Peter.

I backed up the db, but fortunately, there was n't any problem.

I 've once edited the hba file, but it was to allow remote connections, I
didn't know it could be used to allow "trust" connections. Learned
many things from the links you sent me.

Everything is working smoothly now.

Again, Thank you a million,

Best,
Oliveiros

2009/8/21 Jan-Peter Seifert <Jan-Peter.Seifert@gmx.de>
Oliveiros wrote:

> To start it, I have to login as postgres and manually start it with
> postgres -D etc.

You should make a backup first (users and databases ...) .
Try unregistering/registering the service with pg_ctl.
First copy the pg_ctl command used during installation from the
service's properties. You get the service overview with executing the
command "services.msc".

> Also, on PGAdmin ||| I cannot log in as administrator user , no longer.
> Even the new password doesn't seem to work...

Did you save the password in the past? Check the pgpass file which is
usually located within the current windows user's Home directory:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/libpq-pgpass.html

Or change the auth-method in pg_hba.conf to trust and reset the password(s):
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/auth-pg-hba-conf.html

Don't forget to change the auth-option back.

Good luck,

Peter

Re: Trouble with postgres user's password on Windows

От
Jan-Peter Seifert
Дата:
Hello Oliveiros,

I'm glad that your server is working smoothly now.

> I 've once edited the hba file, but it was to allow remote connections, I
> didn't know it could be used to allow "trust" connections. Learned
> many things from the links you sent me.

Do you still have trust enabled? Everybody who can logon to a system
whose ip address is matched by the 'trust'-entry and listen_addresses in
postgresql.conf could logon to your PostgreSQL server then - if there's
no more restriction (firewall etc.). So you should restrict it to the
server machine or totally switch it off if you haven't already.

I forgot this link:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/app-pg-ctl.html

Under windows you have to specify the password for the
Windows-postgres-user when registering the server as a service ...

regards,

Peter