Обсуждение: Cannot connect to postgresql

Cannot connect to postgresql

От
Carol Walter
Дата:
Hello,

I emailed to the group last week about being able to access one of my
postgres databases from other machines on my network.  I thought the
problem was a installation of 8.2.10 that I had been testing an
upgrade on had clobbered some of the files that the system needed.  I
had been testing implementing enabling of ssl, so I thought that I had
gotten a partial installation that was causing my password
authentication failure.  I did a package add on another machine of the
same package that was used to load our original 8.2.3 with everything
the same.  I still can't connect.  I think the pg_hba.conf file is
fine.  Where else should I be looking?

Carol Walter

Re: Cannot connect to postgresql

От
Kevin Kempter
Дата:
On Tuesday 21 July 2009 10:35:46 Carol Walter wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I emailed to the group last week about being able to access one of my
> postgres databases from other machines on my network.  I thought the
> problem was a installation of 8.2.10 that I had been testing an
> upgrade on had clobbered some of the files that the system needed.  I
> had been testing implementing enabling of ssl, so I thought that I had
> gotten a partial installation that was causing my password
> authentication failure.  I did a package add on another machine of the
> same package that was used to load our original 8.2.3 with everything
> the same.  I still can't connect.  I think the pg_hba.conf file is
> fine.  Where else should I be looking?
>
> Carol Walter
it sounds like either a network issue, or a pg_hba.conf issue.

If you send me the following, I'll have a look:

- pg_hba.conf file from the target machine (the one you're trying to connect
to)

- the i.p.'s/hostnames of both boxes

- the command you're using to try and connect

Re: Cannot connect to postgresql

От
Julius Tuskenis
Дата:
> #---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> # CONNECTIONS AND AUTHENTICATION
> #---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

> # - Connection Settings -
>
> #listen_addresses = 'localhost'        # what IP address(es) to listen
> on;
>                     # comma-separated list of addresses;
>                     # defaults to 'localhost', '*' = all
>

> listen_addresses = '*'
>
> #port = 5432
That seems ok. I don't know what OS you use, but check if postgres is
listening to port 5432. Also check your firewall settings.

--
Julius Tuskenis
Programavimo skyriaus vadovas

Вложения

Re: Cannot connect to postgresql

От
Carol Walter
Дата:
I'm running Solaris 10.

Carol

On Jul 24, 2009, at 3:07 AM, Julius Tuskenis wrote:

>> #---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> # CONNECTIONS AND AUTHENTICATION
>> #---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> # - Connection Settings -
>>
>> #listen_addresses = 'localhost'        # what IP address(es) to
>> listen on;
>>                    # comma-separated list of addresses;
>>                    # defaults to 'localhost', '*' = all
>>

>> listen_addresses = '*'
>>
>> #port = 5432
> That seems ok. I don't know what OS you use, but check if postgres
> is listening to port 5432. Also check your firewall settings.
>
> --
> Julius Tuskenis
> Programavimo skyriaus vadovas
> UAB nSoft
> mob. +37068233050

Re: Cannot connect to postgresql

От
Julius Tuskenis
Дата:
Hello, Carol

try command "netstat -l --numeric-ports" to see all ports your system
listens to. You should see something like this:
tcp        0      0 *:5432                  *:*                     LISTEN
If  you see the line - your postgres is configured to listen. It is
likely to be true as you can connect to postgres localy.
Then from other computer try telneting the port. If you will succeed -
then I'd say theres something wrong with your pg_hba.conf.
Also see postgres log files. Maybe they will tell you what is wrong.

--
Julius Tuskenis
Programavimo skyriaus vadovas
UAB nSoft
mob. +37068233050

Вложения

Re: Cannot connect to postgresql - Problem solved - Why / How?

От
Carol Walter
Дата:
Problem solved.  I don't know why!

Nothing in the pg_hba.conf file or the postgresql.conf file appeared
to be a problem.  I was still getting password authorization
failures.  I thought the password had changed, perhaps, without my
knowing it.  I changed the password to what it was originally was -
and it worked!  Then I tried to get into my test database with my test
user.  It didn't work.  Then I reset the password to what it already
was and it worked. Then I tried this with several other accounts.  It
behaved the same way each time.

Does anyone know what might have caused this behavior?

Carol