Обсуждение: One data dir and two servers

One data dir and two servers

От
Nikolai ZHUBR
Дата:
Hello people,

I'd like to be able to run one of TWO independently installed server
instances on the same single data cluster. Actually, there are even
2 separate OS instances for that, though they are mostly identical and
they share the same harddisk. Server instances are also identical
versions.
I've tried to just create the cluster once and then point the 'second'
server instance to the existing cluster but it refused to start (with
no detailed complaint, just abnormal termination).
So, is this doable at all? Could someone give me a hint on any tricks
needed or whatever?
If it matters, I'm currently trying this on Windows.

P.S. please CC me, I'm not subscribed.

Thank you,
Nikolai ZHUBR

Re: One data dir and two servers

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Nikolai ZHUBR<zhubr@mail.ru> wrote:
> Hello people,
>
> I'd like to be able to run one of TWO independently installed server
> instances on the same single data cluster. Actually, there are even
> 2 separate OS instances for that, though they are mostly identical and
> they share the same harddisk. Server instances are also identical
> versions.

Sorry can't do that.  The way pgsql works it needs to be a single
postmaster on a single server.

Re: One data dir and two servers

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 3:47 AM, Nikolai ZHUBR<zhubr@mail.ru> wrote:
> Hello Scott,
>
>>> I'd like to be able to run one of TWO independently installed server
>>> instances on the same single data cluster. Actually, there are even
>>> 2 separate OS instances for that, though they are mostly identical and
>>> they share the same harddisk. Server instances are also identical
>>> versions.
>
>> Sorry can't do that.  The way pgsql works it needs to be a single
>> postmaster on a single server.
>
> Probably I was not clear enough - I meant that only _one_ postmaster
> is run at a time, of course. What is wanted is that the user be able
> to choose _which_ one at boot time (So, 2 identical posmasters, 1
> cluster, 1 postmaster always up, 1 postmaster always down).

Yeah, that should work, as long as only one postmaster is up at a
time.  They both need to run under the same account.

Re: One data dir and two servers

От
Nikolai ZHUBR
Дата:
Hello Scott,

>> I'd like to be able to run one of TWO independently installed server
>> instances on the same single data cluster. Actually, there are even
>> 2 separate OS instances for that, though they are mostly identical and
>> they share the same harddisk. Server instances are also identical
>> versions.

> Sorry can't do that.  The way pgsql works it needs to be a single
> postmaster on a single server.

Probably I was not clear enough - I meant that only _one_ postmaster
is run at a time, of course. What is wanted is that the user be able
to choose _which_ one at boot time (So, 2 identical posmasters, 1
cluster, 1 postmaster always up, 1 postmaster always down).

Thank you,
Nikolai ZHUBR

Re: One data dir and two servers

От
Nikolai ZHUBR
Дата:
Hello Scott,

>> Probably I was not clear enough - I meant that only _one_ postmaster
>> is run at a time, of course. What is wanted is that the user be able
>> to choose _which_ one at boot time (So, 2 identical posmasters, 1
>> cluster, 1 postmaster always up, 1 postmaster always down).

> Yeah, that should work, as long as only one postmaster is up at a
> time.  They both need to run under the same account.

Ah, same account! I guess I know the source of my problems now -
access rights to some (or all) files were just wrong. Silly me.

Thank you,
Nikolai ZHUBR