Обсуждение: Old version?

Old version?

От
Carol Walter
Дата:
Hello,

In May, I upgraded our postgres installation to 8.3.6, but I still had
two databases running on 8.2.4.  I had tested moving to 8.2.10 on
another location.  Last Friday something happened to the disk where
the 8.2.4 instance was running.  I was, quickly, able to get the
8.2.10 test version I had implemented up and running, but the two web
sites that were accessing the 8.2.4 won't run.  This is not code we
support so we don't want to muck around in it for fear of doing
irreparable damage.  What I would like to do, is create an environment
as similar to the original one as possible.  That means loading 8.2.4
there.  8.2.4 doesn't seem to be on the website anymore.  Is there
somewhere that I can get this old version.  The 8.2.10 isn't working
for it.

Thanks in advance,
Carol

Re: Old version?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Carol Walter wrote:

> In May, I upgraded our postgres installation to 8.3.6, but I still had
> two databases running on 8.2.4.  I had tested moving to 8.2.10 on
> another location.  Last Friday something happened to the disk where the
> 8.2.4 instance was running.  I was, quickly, able to get the 8.2.10 test
> version I had implemented up and running, but the two web sites that were
> accessing the 8.2.4 won't run.  This is not code we support so we don't
> want to muck around in it for fear of doing irreparable damage.  What I
> would like to do, is create an environment as similar to the original one
> as possible.  That means loading 8.2.4 there.  8.2.4 doesn't seem to be
> on the website anymore.  Is there somewhere that I can get this old
> version.  The 8.2.10 isn't working for it.

8.2.10 should definitely work.  If it doesn't you need to find out why
and fix that.  Maybe you compiled with the wrong configure flags, for
example.  What messages you see in the logs?

Re: Old version?

От
Carol Walter
Дата:
Well, that is a definite possibility.  When I try to log in to the
8.2.10. instance from another machine on our network, I get an
authentication error.  The error log says that authentication is
failing but it doesn't say why.  When I originally put this 8.2.10
instance up, I was testing enabling ssl.  It's possible that somehow I
got ssl partially configured, and that's confusing postgres.  The
reason I scrapped the upgrade to 8.2.10 from 8.2.4 was that I decided
to go to 8.3.6 instead.  When I really did enable ssl there, I had
some problems getting the certs to work correctly, but I got ssl
errors in the error log.  Anyway, you say that I should be able to get
8.2.10 working if I have to drop back to that.  I may just have to
take the ssl bits out and reinstall the whole thing.

Thanks for your help,

Carol

On Jul 15, 2009, at 12:21 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Carol Walter wrote:
>
>> In May, I upgraded our postgres installation to 8.3.6, but I still
>> had
>> two databases running on 8.2.4.  I had tested moving to 8.2.10 on
>> another location.  Last Friday something happened to the disk where
>> the
>> 8.2.4 instance was running.  I was, quickly, able to get the 8.2.10
>> test
>> version I had implemented up and running, but the two web sites
>> that were
>> accessing the 8.2.4 won't run.  This is not code we support so we
>> don't
>> want to muck around in it for fear of doing irreparable damage.
>> What I
>> would like to do, is create an environment as similar to the
>> original one
>> as possible.  That means loading 8.2.4 there.  8.2.4 doesn't seem
>> to be
>> on the website anymore.  Is there somewhere that I can get this old
>> version.  The 8.2.10 isn't working for it.
>
> 8.2.10 should definitely work.  If it doesn't you need to find out why
> and fix that.  Maybe you compiled with the wrong configure flags, for
> example.  What messages you see in the logs?
>
> --
> Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/

Re: Old version?

От
Chander Ganesan
Дата:
Carol Walter wrote:
> Well, that is a definite possibility.  When I try to log in to the
> 8.2.10. instance from another machine on our network, I get an
> authentication error.  The error log says that authentication is
> failing but it doesn't say why.  When I originally put this 8.2.10
> instance up, I was testing enabling ssl.  It's possible that somehow I
> got ssl partially configured, and that's confusing postgres.  The
> reason I scrapped the upgrade to 8.2.10 from 8.2.4 was that I decided
> to go to 8.3.6 instead.  When I really did enable ssl there, I had
> some problems getting the certs to work correctly, but I got ssl
> errors in the error log.  Anyway, you say that I should be able to get
> 8.2.10 working if I have to drop back to that.  I may just have to
> take the ssl bits out and reinstall the whole thing.
Why not just set "ssl=no" (or comment out the line) in your
postgresql.conf and remove any 'hostssl' lines from your pg_hba.conf
file.  That will effectively disable SSL.  IIRC There's really no need
to rebuild/reinstall anything..

--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.

Re: Old version?

От
Carol Walter
Дата:
Actually, postgresql.conf already has ssl set to off, but there was
one line that has sslhost in the pg_hba.conf file.  It shouldn't have
mattered because it wasn't a range of IP's that exists, but I
commented it out anyway.  I stopped and restarted postgres and it made
no difference.

Carol