Обсуждение: PostgreSQL vs PostgreSQL-server

PostgreSQL vs PostgreSQL-server

От
Mike angelo
Дата:
In looking at SuSE's download site, I see two available RPMs: postgresql and postgresql-server. It may be a novice question, but thn I am a Postgres novice. What exactly is the difference?

Re: PostgreSQL vs PostgreSQL-server

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Thu, 2009-04-16 at 11:10 -0700, Mike angelo wrote:
> In looking at SuSE's download site, I see two available RPMs:
> postgresql and postgresql-server. It may be a novice question, but thn
> I am a Postgres novice. What exactly is the difference?

I can't tell you what is in postgresql (probably things like psql) but I
can tell you that without postgresql-server, you aren't going to get
very far :)

In short you likely need both.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: PostgreSQL vs PostgreSQL-server

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
Mike angelo <angelocmp@yahoo.com> wrote:
> In looking at SuSE's download site, I see two available RPMs:
> postgresql and postgresql-server. It may be a novice question, but
> thn I am a Postgres novice. What exactly is the difference?

You don't say what flavor of SuSE, but on:

SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (x86_64)
VERSION = 10
PATCHLEVEL = 2

Searching in yast I see the attached.  Notice the description.

Of course, SuSE tends to lag so far behind that I always build from
source for the release I want.

-Kevin

Вложения

Re: PostgreSQL vs PostgreSQL-server

От
Robert Ladyman
Дата:
One is the server, the other contains the client programs only (e.g. psql).

> In looking at SuSE's download site, I see two available RPMs: postgresql
> and postgresql-server. It may be a novice question, but thn I am a Postgres
> novice. What exactly is the difference?

--

Robert Ladyman
File-Away Limited, 32 Church Street, Newtyle
Perthshire, PH12 8TZ SCOTLAND
Tel: +44 (0) 1828 898 158
Mobile: +44 (0) 7732 771 649
http://www.file-away.co.uk