Обсуждение: Application Error on setting archive_mode to on

Application Error on setting archive_mode to on

От
venkat ramana
Дата:
Hi All,

After setting the archive parameter 'archive_mode' to on in postgres.conf file, i started the posgres service. On starting the service, getting error with message "The application failed to initialize properly (0x0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application". After this error, postgres service is not starting even after restarting windows.
Any help on this is highly appreciated.

Thanks
Venkat.

The new Windows Live Messenger. You don’t want to miss this.

Re: Application Error on setting archive_mode to on

От
Jan-Peter Seifert
Дата:
Hello Venkat,

> After setting the archive parameter 'archive_mode' to on in
> postgres.conf file, i started the posgres service. On starting the
> service, getting error with message "The application failed to
> initialize properly (0x0000142). Click on OK to terminate the
> application". After this error, postgres service is not starting even
> after restarting windows.
> Any help on this is highly appreciated.

does the service start after setting archive_mode to off again? Which
version of PostgreSQL? There was problem with fragmented RAM/virtual
memory that prevented PostgreSQL from (re-)starting sometimes. So if you
don't have an actual PostgreSQL try rebooting the system ...
What do the Windows system logs say? Do you have anti-virus software
running? Google for the error code ...

Good luck,

Peter

Autonumeric field

От
Félix Sánchez Rodríguez
Hi:

I'm brand new to Postgre and I'm wondering if there is an "autonumeric" data
type. I'm using Case Studio and Navicat for PostgreSQL to manipulate the
Data Bases.

Thanks in advance

Re: Autonumeric field

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 10:48 AM, Félix Sánchez Rodríguez
<fesanch@ciego.cult.cu> wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I'm brand new to Postgre and I'm wondering if there is an "autonumeric" data
> type. I'm using Case Studio and Navicat for PostgreSQL to manipulate the
> Data Bases.

Look up the SERIAL and BIGSERIAL types.

Re: Autonumeric field

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Félix Sánchez Rodríguez wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I'm brand new to Postgre and I'm wondering if there is an "autonumeric"
> data type. I'm using Case Studio and Navicat for PostgreSQL to manipulate
> the Data Bases.

Yes.  It's called SERIAL.  (It's not strictly a separate type, but it
should do what you want.)

You may be interested in knowing that there's a spanish list:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-es-ayuda/
There are several people from Cuba there.

Re: Application Error on setting archive_mode to on

От
venkat ramana
Дата:
I am using postgres 8.3 on windows
The original issue i mentioned below got resolved, but encountered a new issue and here too with postgres service.

Details of the Scenario:
-----------------------
1. Took base backup of the database and then set the archive parameters in postgres.conf file. Verified that WAL files are backedup to the set destination.
2. Now i am trying to recover the database. I stopped the postgres service.  Updated the recovery.conf file with recovery_command details and copied it to the data directory.
3. Started postgres service. After a while, recovery config file name got changed to recovery.done but i found that database is not restored.
4. Went to pg_log and verified that log files, the log file says, recovery is succesful.
5. After this i tried to stop the postgres service, the service is not stopping. I tried this after rebooting the machine also, still facing the same problem.

Any help towards this is highly appreciated.

Thanks
Venkat.

> Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 14:36:28 +0100
> From: Jan-Peter.Seifert@gmx.de
> To: venkat_uppala@hotmail.com
> CC: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
> Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Application Error on setting archive_mode to on
>
> Hello Venkat,
>
> > After setting the archive parameter 'archive_mode' to on in
> > postgres.conf file, i started the posgres service. On starting the
> > service, getting error with message "The application failed to
> > initialize properly (0x0000142). Click on OK to terminate the
> > application". After this error, postgres service is not starting even
> > after restarting windows.
> > Any help on this is highly appreciated.
>
> does the service start after setting archive_mode to off again? Which
> version of PostgreSQL? There was problem with fragmented RAM/virtual
> memory that prevented PostgreSQL from (re-)starting sometimes. So if you
> don't have an actual PostgreSQL try rebooting the system ...
> What do the Windows system logs say? Do you have anti-virus software
> running? Google for the error code ...
>
> Good luck,
>
> Peter

So many new options, so little time. Windows Live Messenger.