Обсуждение: File system level backup with more than one cluster folders

File system level backup with more than one cluster folders

От
Michael Leshchenko
Дата:
Dear pg community

I am newbie with PostgreSQL. I have separate table space for my
databases, which is located in separate folder, which is different to
default. I would like to carry out file system level backup.  Do I need
to backup only folder with my table space or all pg folders.

Thank you in advance

Mike Leshchenko

Вложения

Re: File system level backup with more than one cluster folders

От
Tino Schwarze
Дата:
Hi Mike,

> I am newbie with PostgreSQL. I have separate table space for my
> databases, which is located in separate folder, which is different to
> default. I would like to carry out file system level backup.  Do I need
> to backup only folder with my table space or all pg folders.

Do you know that a file system level backup is only useful if

a) the postgres instance is stopped
or
b) your are using WAL archiving and have an appropiate setup to tell PG
   about backup starts and ends

You need to backup any file system structure belonging to your PG
database.

HTH,

Tino.

www.lichtkreis-chemnitz.de
www.craniosacralzentrum.de

Re: File system level backup with more than one cluster folders

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 12:26 AM, Michael Leshchenko
<Michael.Leshchenko@its.fh-giessen.de> wrote:
> Dear pg community
>
> I am newbie with PostgreSQL. I have separate table space for my databases,
> which is located in separate folder, which is different to default. I would
> like to carry out file system level backup.  Do I need to backup only folder
> with my table space or all pg folders.

Quick question, why?  If you really need it, you need to shutdown
pgsql and then run the file system backup of all the directories that
pg uses.  But a pg_dumpall is a much better way to take a backup.

Re: File system level backup with more than one cluster folders

От
"Vladimir Rusinov"

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 1:13 PM, Tino Schwarze <postgresql@tisc.de> wrote:
Hi Mike,

> I am newbie with PostgreSQL. I have separate table space for my
> databases, which is located in separate folder, which is different to
> default. I would like to carry out file system level backup.  Do I need
> to backup only folder with my table space or all pg folders.

Do you know that a file system level backup is only useful if

a) the postgres instance is stopped
or
b) your are using WAL archiving and have an appropiate setup to tell PG
  about backup starts and ends

c) your are using lvm (or zfs) snapshots and know that postgres would run recovery after backup restore.

--
Vladimir Rusinov
http://greenmice.info/