Обсуждение: Bug introduced in 8.0

Bug introduced in 8.0

От
"Sergio Gabriel Rodriguez"
Дата:
Hi all,

I have a new job and dba rol with PostgreSQL, they have installed
PostgreSQL 8.0.2, but I found this release have some bugs, fixed in
newer versions,
I interesting particulary on this bug:

"Fix bug introduced in 8.0 that could allow ReadBuffer to return an
already-used page as new, potentially causing loss of
recently-committed data (Tom)"
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/release-8-0-6.html

I know an upgrade is a best solution but it's impossible now for me (I
do not have authorization), my answer is, what exactly means this bug?
is serious?

sorry poor english.

Please help, thanks.

Sergio.

Re: Bug introduced in 8.0

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 08:21:53AM -0300, Sergio Gabriel Rodriguez wrote:

> "Fix bug introduced in 8.0 that could allow ReadBuffer to return an
> already-used page as new, potentially causing loss of
> recently-committed data (Tom)"
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/release-8-0-6.html
>
> I know an upgrade is a best solution but it's impossible now for me (I
> do not have authorization), my answer is, what exactly means this bug?
> is serious?

Yes, it's serious.  It means that you can lose data that has been
committed.

Get authorization.  You can install the latest version of the 8.0.x
software directly in place, with no dump or restore.  It's a drop-in
replacement.

The minor releases are security and stability releases.  If your
management thinks that they are optional to install, then get that in
writing, because they are instructing you to run known-dangerous
software.  They are being negligent.  Patching your software for known
defects is not "upgrading", it's "doing your job."

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@commandprompt.com
+1 503 667 4564 x104
http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Bug introduced in 8.0

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 7:10 AM, Andrew Sullivan <ajs@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> The minor releases are security and stability releases.  If your
> management thinks that they are optional to install, then get that in
> writing, because they are instructing you to run known-dangerous
> software.  They are being negligent.  Patching your software for known
> defects is not "upgrading", it's "doing your job."

Also, start looking for another job where your bosses aren't idiots.

Re: Bug introduced in 8.0

От
Lew
Дата:
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> Also, start looking for another job where your bosses aren't idiots.

For many, the choice of whether to work for an idiot or not is the choice to
be employed or not.

Mark Twain observed that at age nineteen, a young man finds his father to be
the stupidest man in the world, but year by year thereafter finds that his
father was smarter and smarter.

What managers manage is risk.  Naturally they can only manage perceived risk.
  The perception is that new software produces new risk, and from that
perspective it is not idiotic but quite reasonable to resist change.  They
aren't idiots, they're just under-educated.

One who knows better has a fiduciary responsibility to their employer to
inform them of risks of which they wot not.  In the case of "minor" version
upgrades to PG, it is our duty to inform our bosses of the risk of not
upgrading, so they can properly assess risks and manage them accordingly.

--
Lew

Re: Bug introduced in 8.0

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 08:46:33PM -0400, Lew wrote:
> upgrades to PG, it is our duty to inform our bosses of the risk of not
> upgrading, so they can properly assess risks and manage them accordingly.

I agree.  It is, by the same token, your duty to yourself to ensure
that, if the answer is, "No," you get that answer in writing so that
future failures are not possibly pinned on you as having been
negligent in installing stability and security releases.

By the way, I always refer to these of late as "security and
stability" rather than "minor" releases.  I do that because it
presents them to the target audience in a way that is understandable.
Those releases are, for the project, a maintenance burden and not a
way to introduce features.  It's wise to keep that in mind when
presenting such releases to managers responsible for the decision.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@commandprompt.com
+1 503 667 4564 x104
http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Bug introduced in 8.0

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 10:58 AM, Andrew Sullivan <ajs@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 08:46:33PM -0400, Lew wrote:
>> upgrades to PG, it is our duty to inform our bosses of the risk of not
>> upgrading, so they can properly assess risks and manage them accordingly.
>
> I agree.  It is, by the same token, your duty to yourself to ensure
> that, if the answer is, "No," you get that answer in writing so that
> future failures are not possibly pinned on you as having been
> negligent in installing stability and security releases.
>
> By the way, I always refer to these of late as "security and
> stability" rather than "minor" releases.  I do that because it
> presents them to the target audience in a way that is understandable.
> Those releases are, for the project, a maintenance burden and not a
> way to introduce features.  It's wise to keep that in mind when
> presenting such releases to managers responsible for the decision.

I used to work for an Oracle DBA and while he was quite smart in most
ways, he really had been trained by Oracle to avoid anything but
"patches".  Upgrades / updates of a db were very scary for him.  I had
to present the minor updates as "patch releases" to get him
comfortable with them.  And have a full implementation plan and all
that as well.

But if instead he had insisted on running an outdated version of
PostgreSQL for some goofy reason I would have been looking for another
job.

I guess I've been lucky in that I've never actually had to work for
idiots.  Sure have interviewed with quite a few though.

Re: Bug introduced in 8.0

Дата:
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 10:58 AM, Andrew Sullivan <ajs@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 08:46:33PM -0400, Lew wrote:
> >> upgrades to PG, it is our duty to inform our bosses of the risk of not
> >> upgrading, so they can properly assess risks and manage them accordingly.
> >
> > I agree.  It is, by the same token, your duty to yourself to ensure
> > that, if the answer is, "No," you get that answer in writing so that
> > future failures are not possibly pinned on you as having been
> > negligent in installing stability and security releases.
> >
> > By the way, I always refer to these of late as "security and
> > stability" rather than "minor" releases.  I do that because it
> > presents them to the target audience in a way that is understandable.
> > Those releases are, for the project, a maintenance burden and not a
> > way to introduce features.  It's wise to keep that in mind when
> > presenting such releases to managers responsible for the decision.
>
> I used to work for an Oracle DBA and while he was quite smart in most
> ways, he really had been trained by Oracle to avoid anything but
> "patches".  Upgrades / updates of a db were very scary for him.  I had
> to present the minor updates as "patch releases" to get him
> comfortable with them.  And have a full implementation plan and all
> that as well.
>
> But if instead he had insisted on running an outdated version of
> PostgreSQL for some goofy reason I would have been looking for another
> job.

The major problem is that much software doesn't have our stability in
minor releases, and hence the perception that many minor release are
risks is accurate, just not in the Postgres case.