Обсуждение: Newly converted to 8.2.5 and getting this error

Newly converted to 8.2.5 and getting this error

От
"Mark Steben"

Hi folks,

  We have an application that cuts and pastes from Word and is getting this error now that we have converted to 8.2.5.

  The characters that are erroring are imbedded in the document. We would prefer not having to remove them

 invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0x85

    HINT:  This error can also happen if the byte sequence does not match the encoding expected by the

    server, which is controlled by "client_encoding".

Our client_encoding is obviously set at UTF8.  Is there a client_encoding value that is less restrictive?

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you,

Mark Steben

Senior Database Administrator
@utoRevenue™
A Dominion Enterprises Company
480 Pleasant Street
Suite B200
Lee, MA 01238
413-243-4800 Home Office
413-243-4809 Corporate Fax

msteben@autorevenue.com

Visit our new website at
www.autorevenue.com

IMPORTANT: The information contained in this e-mail message is confidential and is intended only for the named addressee(s). If the reader of this e-mail message is not the intended recipient (or the individual responsible for the delivery of this e-mail message to the intended recipient), please be advised that any re-use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail message is prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail message in error, please reply to the sender that you have received this e-mail message in error and then delete it.  Thank you.

Re: Newly converted to 8.2.5 and getting this error

От
"Peter Koczan"
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 9:41 AM, Mark Steben <msteben@autorevenue.com> wrote:
>   We have an application that cuts and pastes from Word and is getting this
> error now that we have converted to 8.2.5.
>
>   The characters that are erroring are imbedded in the document. We would
> prefer not having to remove them

> Our client_encoding is obviously set at UTF8.  Is there a client_encoding
> value that is less restrictive?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/multibyte.html

SQL_ASCII is less restrictive in that it will do no character
conversion or checking. It comes with many caveats (read the above
page). I think it also matters what the database on the server side is
expecting. I don't think you can insert invalid Unicode into a UTF8
database, even if your client encoding is SQL_ASCII. It might try its
best to convert the data, but don't quote me on that.

If you really want to insert everything and don't care if it's valid
UTF8 or not, create the database with the SQL_ASCII encoding. If you'd
like there to be some semblance of checking, you'll have to think of
some other solution.

Peter