Обсуждение: Performance tuning...

Performance tuning...

От
Carol Walter
Дата:
Greetings and Salutations...

This has probably been discussed a number of times, but I really need
your help.  I am upgrading from 8.1 to 8.2.  Right now I have the
restore of the database to the new version running.  It has been
running since December 21, at 4:30 PM.  I'm in a University
environment and we're in the midst of winter break, so there is very
little processing going on on my systems.  This is actually a test
run of the upgrade.  I thought I would be able to do the test and
live during the break but as slow as this thing is going, I may be
lucky just to finish the test.  This brings me to my question.  Is
there any performance tuning I can do to make this think run faster?
This is a Sun box running Solaris 10.

Carol

Re: Performance tuning...

От
"Sattler, Thomas \(IT\)"
Дата:
Cache, cache, cache, cache.

Thomas Sattler
Morgan Stanley | Technology
750 Seventh Avenue, 14th Floor | New York, NY  10019
Phone: +1 212 762-1212
Thomas.Sattler@morganstanley.com

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not intend to waive confidentiality or
privilege.Use of this email is prohibited when received in error.

Re: Performance tuning...

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Jan 2, 2008 9:34 AM, Carol Walter <walterc@indiana.edu> wrote:
> Greetings and Salutations...
>
> This has probably been discussed a number of times, but I really need
> your help.  I am upgrading from 8.1 to 8.2.  Right now I have the
> restore of the database to the new version running.  It has been
> running since December 21, at 4:30 PM.  I'm in a University
> environment and we're in the midst of winter break, so there is very
> little processing going on on my systems.  This is actually a test
> run of the upgrade.  I thought I would be able to do the test and
> live during the break but as slow as this thing is going, I may be
> lucky just to finish the test.  This brings me to my question.  Is
> there any performance tuning I can do to make this think run faster?
> This is a Sun box running Solaris 10.

That's a VERY long time for a restore to be running.  You might want
to look at using pgbulkloader on your data if that helps.

Hard to say what's going wrong with this overview of info.
How big is the database on disk?
How big is the backup?
Where is the backup spending most of its time?  restoring tables or
creating indexes or what?
What are you running out of?  CPU, I/O, etc...  vmstat iostat and top
can help figure that out.
What kind of disk subsystem do you have?
How many CPUs and how much memory does this machine have?

You can turn off fsync during the restore (good idea to turn it back
on when you're done though)
Turn up maintenance_work_mem to something in the 512M to 1G range
(depending on how much memory your machine has)

Re: Performance tuning...

От
Tino Schwarze
Дата:
Hi Carol,

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 10:34:47AM -0500, Carol Walter wrote:

> This has probably been discussed a number of times, but I really need
> your help.  I am upgrading from 8.1 to 8.2.  Right now I have the
> restore of the database to the new version running.  It has been
> running since December 21, at 4:30 PM.  I'm in a University
> environment and we're in the midst of winter break, so there is very
> little processing going on on my systems.  This is actually a test
> run of the upgrade.  I thought I would be able to do the test and
> live during the break but as slow as this thing is going, I may be
> lucky just to finish the test.  This brings me to my question.  Is
> there any performance tuning I can do to make this think run faster?
> This is a Sun box running Solaris 10.

The restore has been running for over 12 days now? How large is the
database? Did you adjust any settings in postgresql.conf (probably based
on the 8.1 ones)? Do you see anything in PostgreSQL's log file? What
kind of machine are you using (there are a lot of different Sun
boxes...)

Bye,

Tino.

--
www.craniosacralzentrum.de
www.spiritualdesign-chemnitz.de

Tino Schwarze * Parkstraße 17h * 09120 Chemnitz

Re: Performance tuning...

От
Naomi Walker
Дата:
Sattler, Thomas (IT) wrote:
Cache, cache, cache, cache.
and consider dropping all indices until after the load is completed..