Обсуждение: "global/pg_control": Permission denied

"global/pg_control": Permission denied

От
Richard Broersma Jr
Дата:
Last night,

My desktop (acting as a db-server for my discipline's group) has it power cycled this morning at 4:10 (I am not sure
whattriggered the power cycle).  When the computer restarted itself PostgreSQL failed to start on its own.  I attempted
tostart it manually but encounter the following error.  If I need to, I can re-install postgres and restore a dump file
thatI took last night. But I would like to discover why this happened so that I can hopefully prevent it from
reoccurringin the future.

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.2\bin>pg_ctl start -D ..\data
server starting

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.2\bin>2007-11-15 06:36:13 PANIC:  could not open control file "global/pg_control":
Permissiondenied

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

I don't know if this is related, but I also saw an error raised in the windows event viewer by Postgres when postgres
attemptedto restart itself after the power cycle:

2007-11-15 06:26:26 FATAL:  invalid value for parameter "log_statement_stats": 1

Also right before the power cycled I saw this warning:

Windows saved user JEG\BroersR registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off.
Thememory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

 This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the
LocalServiceor NetworkService account.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp

Regards, Richard Broersma Jr.

Re: "global/pg_control": Permission denied

От
Richard Broersma Jr
Дата:
--- On Thu, 11/15/07, Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma@yahoo.com> wrote:

> My desktop (acting as a db-server for my discipline's
> group) has it power cycled this morning at 4:10
> C:\Program
> Files\PostgreSQL\8.2\bin>2007-11-15 06:36:13
> PANIC:  could not open control file
> "global/pg_control": Permission denied

Does anyone have any comments on how to restore db operation after encounter this failure?  Do I need to go as far have
re-installingPostgres and restoring from a dump?

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.

Re: [GENERAL] "global/pg_control": Permission denied

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Richard Broersma Jr wrote:
> --- On Thu, 11/15/07, Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > My desktop (acting as a db-server for my discipline's
> > group) has it power cycled this morning at 4:10
> > C:\Program
> > Files\PostgreSQL\8.2\bin>2007-11-15 06:36:13
> > PANIC:  could not open control file
> > "global/pg_control": Permission denied
>
> Does anyone have any comments on how to restore db operation after
> encounter this failure?  Do I need to go as far have re-installing
> Postgres and restoring from a dump?

What is the problem with the file?  Why is it not accessible to
Postgres?

My guess is that something (antivirus?) was messing with the file when
the system died.

--
Alvaro Herrera                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/5ZYLFMCVHXC
Y dijo Dios: "Que sea Satanás, para que la gente no me culpe de todo a mí."

Re: [GENERAL] "global/pg_control": Permission denied

От
Richard Broersma Jr
Дата:
--- On Thu, 11/15/07, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:

> What is the problem with the file?

I looked at the pg_control file, postgres had the proper permission to it.

> Why is it not accessible to Postgres?
> My guess is that something (antivirus?) was messing with
> the file when the system died.

It seems that last night a windows service pack as added.  I noticed that the global directory was marked as
(grey-ed)read-only. I removed the read-only flag and postgres started up :-).  I restarted my antivirus and postgres is
stillworking.

Is the global directory supposed to be marked read only?

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.

Re: [GENERAL] "global/pg_control": Permission denied

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Richard Broersma Jr wrote:
> --- On Thu, 11/15/07, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
>
> > What is the problem with the file?
>
> I looked at the pg_control file, postgres had the proper permission to it.
>
> > Why is it not accessible to Postgres?
> > My guess is that something (antivirus?) was messing with
> > the file when the system died.
>
> It seems that last night a windows service pack as added.  I noticed that the global directory was marked as
(grey-ed)read-only. I removed the read-only flag and postgres started up :-).  I restarted my antivirus and postgres is
stillworking.

> Is the global directory supposed to be marked read only?

I don't think so.  Postgres writes to it.

--
Alvaro Herrera                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/5ZYLFMCVHXC
We take risks not to escape from life, but to prevent life escaping from us.