Обсуждение: WAL segment question

WAL segment question

От
"Donald Fraser"
Дата:
Our company has two sites, a master and a disaster recovery site.
I am trying to assess whether data has been lost during a fail-over, due to the asynchronous method of transporting WAL file data between sites (we use DRBD).

Disaster recovery node start-up log:
user= pid=9907 timestamp=[2007-08-01 17:09:51 BST] tid= LOG:  record with zero length at 0/7C62F52C
user= pid=9907 timestamp=[2007-08-01 17:09:51 BST] tid= LOG:  redo done at 0/7C62F4E8

My question is: given the above WAL segment information, can I use it to decide whether information was lost in the master database site, at the point of failure, without starting the database up?

Regards
Donald Fraser.

Re: WAL segment question

От
Decibel!
Дата:
On Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 12:00:52AM +0100, Donald Fraser wrote:
> Our company has two sites, a master and a disaster recovery site.
> I am trying to assess whether data has been lost during a fail-over, due to the asynchronous method of transporting
WALfile data between sites (we use DRBD).

> Disaster recovery node start-up log:
> user= pid=9907 timestamp=[2007-08-01 17:09:51 BST] tid= LOG:  record with zero length at 0/7C62F52C
> user= pid=9907 timestamp=[2007-08-01 17:09:51 BST] tid= LOG:  redo done at 0/7C62F4E8
>
> My question is: given the above WAL segment information, can I use it to decide whether information was lost in the
masterdatabase site, at the point of failure, without starting the database up?

I'm not sure, but you could try md5-ing the appropriate WAL file on the
master and slave; if the files are identical then you shouldn't have
lost any data... if they are then you probably have.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby                        decibel@decibel.org

Re: WAL segment question

От
"Simon Riggs"
Дата:
On Sat, 2007-08-04 at 00:00 +0100, Donald Fraser wrote:
> Our company has two sites, a master and a disaster recovery site.
> I am trying to assess whether data has been lost during a fail-over,
> due to the asynchronous method of transporting WAL file data between
> sites (we use DRBD).
>
> Disaster recovery node start-up log:
> user= pid=9907 timestamp=[2007-08-01 17:09:51 BST] tid= LOG:  record
> with zero length at 0/7C62F52C
> user= pid=9907 timestamp=[2007-08-01 17:09:51 BST] tid= LOG:  redo
> done at 0/7C62F4E8
>
> My question is: given the above WAL segment information, can I use it
> to decide whether information was lost in the master database site, at
> the point of failure, without starting the database up?

Currently there is no built-in means of finding out the time of the last
record transferred, if the primary stays down. You need to use xlogdump
to locate the time of the last commit/abort record.

--
  Simon Riggs
  EnterpriseDB  http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: WAL segment question

От
Chander Ganesan
Дата:
Donald Fraser wrote:
Our company has two sites, a master and a disaster recovery site.
I am trying to assess whether data has been lost during a fail-over, due to the asynchronous method of transporting WAL file data between sites (we use DRBD).

Disaster recovery node start-up log:
user= pid=9907 timestamp=[2007-08-01 17:09:51 BST] tid= LOG:  record with zero length at 0/7C62F52C
user= pid=9907 timestamp=[2007-08-01 17:09:51 BST] tid= LOG:  redo done at 0/7C62F4E8

My question is: given the above WAL segment information, can I use it to decide whether information was lost in the master database site, at the point of failure, without starting the database up?

Regards
Donald Fraser.
DRBD is a synchronous method of transferring data - it's not asynchronous.  Assuming you are using Protocol C you should find that both are always in sync.  If you are using protocol B then things will be in sync so long as the remote system didn't crash, and if you are using Protocol A then things should be in sync as long as the local system didn't crash.
--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.

Re: WAL segment question