Обсуждение: my postgres is dead. need help!

my postgres is dead. need help!

От
"Tena Sakai"

Hi folks,

My postgres (v 7.1.4, I think) did not come up upon reboot.
I have tried to use startup script called postgresql in
/etc/rc.d/init.d directory, but it reports FATAL when I
try to stop postmaster.

The most recent log file in /pgsql/data/pg_log reads:

LOG:  database system was interrupted while in recovery at 2007-07-27 08:30:34 PDT
HINT:  This probably means that some data is corrupted and you will have to use the last backup for recovery.
LOG:  checkpoint record is at 1F8/DB354F24
LOG:  redo record is at 1F8/D6060064; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown FALSE
LOG:  next transaction ID: 700570822; next OID: 2763554
LOG:  next MultiXactId: 3; next MultiXactOffset: 6
LOG:  database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in progress
LOG:  redo starts at 1F8/D6060064
FATAL:  the database system is starting up

I am totally lost what I need to do.
Help and ssistance highly appreciated.

Regards,

Tena Sakai
tsakai@gallo.ucsf.edu

Re: my postgres is dead. need help!

От
"Chris Hoover"
Дата:
[...]

The database has gone into recovery mode, and is trying to clean itself up.  Just let it alone and monitor the logs.  If all goes well, it will tell you the recovery completed and it is online.

Chris

P.S.

You are in desperate need of upgrading to a newer version of Postgres.

Re: my postgres is dead. need help!

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On 7/27/07, Tena Sakai <tsakai@gallo.ucsf.edu> wrote:

>  My postgres (v 7.1.4, I think) did not come up upon reboot.
>  I have tried to use startup script called postgresql in
>  /etc/rc.d/init.d directory, but it reports FATAL when I
>  try to stop postmaster.

PostgreSQL versions that old WILL EAT YOUR DATA.

Not if, just when.  If it comes back up, get a good backup and start
planning your migration to something newer, prefereably 8.2.4

>  LOG:  redo starts at 1F8/D6060064
>  FATAL:  the database system is starting up

This is normal.  Let it finish recovery.  If it logs something more
fatal messages saying it couldn't startup, then it's time to restore
from backups.

P.s. How old is the system you're running this on?  I'm guessing from
around the RedHat 5 era?

Re: my postgres is dead. need help!

От
"Tena Sakai"

Hi Scott,

It recovered.  Amazing, although I don't know
why it got to that (broken) state.  I am fairly
new at this job and I have never met my predecessor,
so that I don't have much sense of history.  But
I have a new machine on which I have installed
8.2.4 and the project to move the data is under
way.  Thanks for your comment.

Tena Sakai
tsakai@gallo.ucsf.edu