Обсуждение: Anyone seen this message?

Anyone seen this message?

От
Carol Walter
Дата:
Hello, Everyone,

You've been really helpful it the past; I sure hope someone knows
this one.  When I try to describe the tables of one of my users the
system returns the message as follows:
"column i.indisvalid does not exist"
It doesn't give any other info.  Has anyone seen this message, and
more importantly, what do I do about it.

Thanks so much,

Carol

Re: Anyone seen this message?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Carol Walter wrote:
> Hello, Everyone,
>
> You've been really helpful it the past; I sure hope someone knows this one.
>  When I try to describe the tables of one of my users the system returns
> the message as follows:
> "column i.indisvalid does not exist"
> It doesn't give any other info.  Has anyone seen this message, and more
> importantly, what do I do about it.

Don't use a mismatching psql version with the server version.

--
Alvaro Herrera                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/5ZYLFMCVHXC
"Now I have my system running, not a byte was off the shelf;

Re: Anyone seen this message?

От
"Ned Wolpert"
Дата:
Let me ask a further question for clarification on this point, just to
be sure... though I'm going to bet I know the answer... just want to
be sure.

In my current production environment, the PostgreSQL database server
is the latest, 8.2.4.  The apps that communicate with it are planned
to be running on stock CentOS5 servers, with the default 8.1.x (8.1.9)
client libraries. So, not only is psql 8.1.9 (which I don't use on
that server) but the libpq.so is from the 8.1.9 install.   Apache 2.2
package uses the DBDriver module from the apr-util that was installed
from CentOS, and we are planning to connect it to our PostgreSQL
server.  Is that a 'bad thing' considering the libpq.so is a different
major version?

In the case of Java JDBC drivers, is this also a problem? (Using the
JDBC driver from the 8.1 release against the 8.2 server)

And thanks for clarification.

On 7/12/07, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> Don't use a mismatching psql version with the server version.

--
Virtually, Ned Wolpert
http://www.codeheadsystems.com/blog/

"Settle thy studies, Faustus, and begin..."   --Marlowe

Re: Anyone seen this message?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Ned Wolpert escribió:

> In my current production environment, the PostgreSQL database server
> is the latest, 8.2.4.  The apps that communicate with it are planned
> to be running on stock CentOS5 servers, with the default 8.1.x (8.1.9)
> client libraries. So, not only is psql 8.1.9 (which I don't use on
> that server) but the libpq.so is from the 8.1.9 install.   Apache 2.2
> package uses the DBDriver module from the apr-util that was installed
> from CentOS, and we are planning to connect it to our PostgreSQL
> server.  Is that a 'bad thing' considering the libpq.so is a different
> major version?

No.  It is only a problem for psql because it uses some queries that
assume things about the system catalogs (for example psql 8.2 assumes
that pg_index.indisvalid exists, which it doesn't on 8.1).

Did you win the bet?

Re: Anyone seen this message?

От
Ned Wolpert
Дата:

Re: Anyone seen this message?

От
"Srinivas Kotapally"
Дата:
I think this is a user/ table permission issue.

                http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate