Обсуждение: Start problem on Linux

Start problem on Linux

От
David
Дата:
I just installed PostgreSQL 8.2.3 on an Ubuntu server 7.04.  The server
is setup in their server mode -- no gui, command line only.  The system
works fine -- I can connect with psql using localhost and I have created
users and installed a database imported from a Win32 test platform.

I have two problems that may be related.

First: When I restart the Ubuntu server, the Postgres instance is
started and listens on port 5432 using ssl as requested.  However, it
does not created its postmaster.pid file in the PGDATA directory.  This
means that "pg_ctl reload", and "pg_ctl stop" do not work.  I have to
use "$ ps -A | grep postgres" to find the PID and then us "pg_ctl kill"
to stop the instance.

Second: If I manually stop the system and then start it (su postgres)
using "pg_ctl start" the system starts and creates its postmaster.pid
file correctly.  However, this time port 5432 remains closed and I
cannot connect from the outside.

Both /usr/local/pgsql/data and /etc/postgresql/8.2/main are owned by the
database user postgres.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers, David Flory

Re: Start problem on Linux

Дата:
David <lists@theflorys.org> writes:
> First: When I restart the Ubuntu server, the Postgres instance is
> started and listens on port 5432 using ssl as requested.  However, it
> does not created its postmaster.pid file in the PGDATA directory.

The postmaster will certainly not start without creating a
postmaster.pid file.  What I think is happening is that you are confused
about where PGDATA is, ie, the start script has some other value for it
than you think.

> Second: If I manually stop the system and then start it (su postgres)
> using "pg_ctl start" the system starts and creates its postmaster.pid
> file correctly.  However, this time port 5432 remains closed and I
> cannot connect from the outside.

Sounds like your idea of PGDATA contains different configuration files
than the start script's idea of it --- after the port number,
listen_addresses and pg_hba.conf would be the things to check.

            regards, tom lane