Обсуждение: replicating postgresql database to ms-sql database

replicating postgresql database to ms-sql database

От
Mary Anderson
Дата:
Hi list,
    I have been asked if it is possible to asynchronously replicate a
postgresql database to ms-sql.  My answer is yes, provided postgresql
ORM features aren't used in the design of the database.  One does an
ascii dump of the tables and then bulk loads them into MSSQL.  The
database in question will be about 10G.  Is there a sane way to do this?
I am hoping the slony can be instructed to produce an ascii transaction
log which can then be massaged and applied to the MS-SQL database.
(This is a database of population statistics which is relatively static.
It will be read only on the ms-sql node)

     I think it is much better to have both databases running postgres,
by the way.

mary anderson

Re: replicating postgresql database to ms-sql database

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
<468E8080.4030901@demog.berkeley.edu>, Mary Anderson
<maryfran@demog.berkeley.edu> wrote:

>     I have been asked if it is possible to asynchronously replicate a
> postgresql database to ms-sql.  My answer is yes, provided postgresql
> ORM features aren't used in the design of the database.  One does an
> ascii dump of the tables and then bulk loads them into MSSQL.  The
> database in question will be about 10G.  Is there a sane way to do this?

Look at pg_dump and the switches to cause it to generate INSERT
statements instead of COPY statements.  That has worked for me.

-Kevin

Re: replicating postgresql database to ms-sql database

От
Kenneth Marshall
Дата:
Mary,

I believe that you can use FreeTDS with dblink to set up your
on replication process. I agree with you that having both databases
be PostgreSQL would be preferrable.

Ken

On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 10:48:48AM -0700, Mary Anderson wrote:
> Hi list,
>    I have been asked if it is possible to asynchronously replicate a
> postgresql database to ms-sql.  My answer is yes, provided postgresql
> ORM features aren't used in the design of the database.  One does an
> ascii dump of the tables and then bulk loads them into MSSQL.  The
> database in question will be about 10G.  Is there a sane way to do this?
> I am hoping the slony can be instructed to produce an ascii transaction
> log which can then be massaged and applied to the MS-SQL database.
> (This is a database of population statistics which is relatively static.
> It will be read only on the ms-sql node)
>
>     I think it is much better to have both databases running postgres,
> by the way.
>
> mary anderson

Re: replicating postgresql database to ms-sql database

От
Ben Kim
Дата:
  On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 10:48:48AM -0700, Mary Anderson wrote:
>    I have been asked if it is possible to asynchronously replicate a
> postgresql database to ms-sql.  My answer is yes, provided postgresql
> ORM features aren't used in the design of the database.  One does an
> ascii dump of the tables and then bulk loads them into MSSQL.  The
> database in question will be about 10G.  Is there a sane way to do this?

As a pull option, it's also possible to use MS SQL's DTS tasks. You can
define complex import tasks and (I believe) run the task regularly using
the windows scheduler.

Massaging can be done by custom conversion scripts, in perl or vb, within
the task definition.

My 2 cents.

Regards,

Ben K.
Developer
http://benix.tamu.edu

Re: replicating postgresql database to ms-sql database

От
Kevin Kempter
Дата:
On Sunday 08 July 2007 16:21:42 Ben Kim wrote:
>   On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 10:48:48AM -0700, Mary Anderson wrote:
> >    I have been asked if it is possible to asynchronously replicate a
> > postgresql database to ms-sql.  My answer is yes, provided postgresql
> > ORM features aren't used in the design of the database.  One does an
> > ascii dump of the tables and then bulk loads them into MSSQL.  The
> > database in question will be about 10G.  Is there a sane way to do this?
>
> As a pull option, it's also possible to use MS SQL's DTS tasks. You can
> define complex import tasks and (I believe) run the task regularly using
> the windows scheduler.
>
> Massaging can be done by custom conversion scripts, in perl or vb, within
> the task definition.
>

> My 2 cents.
>

> Regards,
>
> Ben K.
> Developer
> http://benix.tamu.edu

Have a look at dbi-link on the pg foundry