Обсуждение: How can I restore from WAL log? [PG 7.3]

How can I restore from WAL log? [PG 7.3]

От
Chan Michael
Дата:
Hi,

I am new to PostgreSQL and now want to know how can I recover from a database crash.

I know pg_dump and pg_restore but with pg_dump all transactions between every pg_dump will be lost. I found WAL in the doc and seems with it I can archieve point-in-time recovery. But I don't know the exact steps of doing this.

Any input, link or tutorials will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

_______________________________________
YM - 離線訊息
就算你沒有上網,你的朋友仍可以留下訊息給你,當你上網時就能立即看到,任何說話都冇走失。
http://messenger.yahoo.com.hk

Re: How can I restore from WAL log? [PG 7.3]

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 10:16:19PM +0800, Chan Michael wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to PostgreSQL and now want to know how can I recover from a database crash.
>
> I know pg_dump and pg_restore but with pg_dump all transactions between every pg_dump will be lost. I found WAL in
thedoc and seems with it I can archieve point-in-time recovery. But I don't know the exact steps of doing this.

Point in Time Recovery wasn't added until version 8.0.

回覆: Re: How can I restore from WAL log? [PG 7.3]

От
Chan Michael
Дата:
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your info.

Then in PostgreSQL 7.3  how can I use the WAL log to recover?

Michael

"Jim C. Nasby" <jim@nasby.net> 說:

--
Jim Nasby jim@nasby.net

_______________________________________
YM - 離線訊息
就算你沒有上網,你的朋友仍可以留下訊息給你,當你上網時就能立即看到,任何說話都冇走失。
http://messenger.yahoo.com.hk

Re: ?^???G Re: How can I restore from WAL log? [PG 7.3]

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 10:24:01AM +0800, Chan Michael wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> Thanks for your info.
>
> Then in PostgreSQL 7.3  how can I use the WAL log to recover?

You can't.  That's why it's a "new feature" in 8.0.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
Information security isn't a technological problem.  It's an economics
problem.
        --Bruce Schneier

Re: How can I restore from WAL log? [PG 7.3]

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 22:16:19 +0800,
  Chan Michael <michael_kychan@yahoo.com.hk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to PostgreSQL and now want to know how can I recover from a database crash.

If you are just talking about the server dying unexpectedly, you recover
by restarting it. Doing this should recover all transactions.

Note that if your hard drives a lying to you about write completion, this
might not work.

Re: 回覆: Re: [ADMIN] How can I restore fr

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Chan Michael wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> Thanks for your info.
>
> Then in PostgreSQL 7.3  how can I use the WAL log to recover?

WAL will recover itself on restart of a PostgreSQL server.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/