Обсуждение: lock a database from new connections, without modifying pg_hba.conf

lock a database from new connections, without modifying pg_hba.conf

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
Is that possible?  I've checked the docs for 8.1, and am not finding
anything, nor anything in contrib ...

the best I've been able to think of so far is to modify pg_hba.conf to not
allow new connections for the duration of the operations I need to perform
(drop and create a database) ...

----

Re: lock a database from new connections, without modifying pg_hba.conf

Дата:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> Is that possible?  I've checked the docs for 8.1, and am not finding
> anything, nor anything in contrib ...

> the best I've been able to think of so far is to modify pg_hba.conf to not
> allow new connections for the duration of the operations I need to perform
> (drop and create a database) ...

Not sure I understand what you need.  DROP DATABASE already locks out
new connections.

            regards, tom lane

Re: lock a database from new connections, without modifying

От
"Ben K."
Дата:
> Is that possible?  I've checked the docs for 8.1, and am not finding anything,
> nor anything in contrib ...
> the best I've been able to think of so far is to modify pg_hba.conf to not
> allow new connections for the duration of the operations I need to perform
> (drop and create a database) ...

Just in case ...

update pg_catalog.pg_database set datallowconn = false where datname =
'...';

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-docs/2004-11/msg00015.php
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/manage-ag-templatedbs.html

My twopence.

Ben K.
Developer
http://benix.tamu.edu

Re: lock a database from new connections, without modifying pg_hba.conf

От
adey
Дата:
Can hba be manipulated in such a way to make Postgres "read only" to obtain a complete and full backup please, and if so, how?

"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> Is that possible?  I've checked the docs for 8.1, and am not finding
> anything, nor anything in contrib ...

> the best I've been able to think of so far is to modify pg_hba.conf to not
> allow new connections for the duration of the operations I need to perform
> (drop and create a database) ...

Not sure I understand what you need.  DROP DATABASE already locks out
new connections.

Re: lock a database from new connections, without modifying pg_hba.conf

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Monday 10 July 2006 15:58, adey wrote:
> Can hba be manipulated in such a way to make Postgres "read only" to obtain
> a complete and full backup please, and if so, how?

PostgreSQL allows "complete and full backups" while in production. E.g; we
support hot backups :). You do not have to stop working just to run backups
(unlike another unnamed database).

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/