Обсуждение: RFC - multi database/application user authentification

RFC - multi database/application user authentification

От
Gary Stainburn
Дата:
I have two separate database applications running, one for the initial
Pre-Delivery preparation of new vehicles, and one for the final taxing and
delivery to customers.

These two systems were developed independently but are used by the same
people.  Each of these databases has a user table, used for initial
authentication, and also for logging purposes, i.e. who did what action and
when.  Each user table has as it's primary key an int4, but these don't match
between the two systems.

I am about to develop a new system to encompass the whole order to delivery
process which will mean the creation of a third system with a third database,
user table and authentication process.

What is the best way to develop an authentication method where one
user-id/password system can be used by three separate databases?

Is it possible to get postgresql to do this cross-database  access or will I
have to handle it in the PHP code?
--
Gary Stainburn

Re: RFC - multi database/application user authentification

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
I think a better question to be asking yourself is: why are you using
seperate databases for all of this? It certainly sounds like all the
activities are related, so ISTM it would make a lot more sense to put
everything in one database and possibly use schemas to seperate things
logically.

On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 11:01:16AM +0100, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> I have two separate database applications running, one for the initial
> Pre-Delivery preparation of new vehicles, and one for the final taxing and
> delivery to customers.
>
> These two systems were developed independently but are used by the same
> people.  Each of these databases has a user table, used for initial
> authentication, and also for logging purposes, i.e. who did what action and
> when.  Each user table has as it's primary key an int4, but these don't match
> between the two systems.
>
> I am about to develop a new system to encompass the whole order to delivery
> process which will mean the creation of a third system with a third database,
> user table and authentication process.
>
> What is the best way to develop an authentication method where one
> user-id/password system can be used by three separate databases?
>
> Is it possible to get postgresql to do this cross-database  access or will I
> have to handle it in the PHP code?
> --
> Gary Stainburn
>
> This email does not contain private or confidential material as it
> may be snooped on by interested government parties for unknown
> and undisclosed purposes - Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act, 2000

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: RFC - multi database/application user authentification

От
Gary Stainburn
Дата:
Hi Jim

I have considered your comments and they make good sense.  As the 2 existing
systems integrate with the new one, they will work more and more closely, so
I will work on doing as you suggest.

Gary